JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Stories (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/)
-   -   Anybody have any embarassing mudding/wheeling stories? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/anybody-have-any-embarassing-mudding-wheeling-stories-259699/)

NotoriousWithag 04-08-2006 09:36 PM

Anybody have any embarassing mudding/wheeling stories?

Like the title says share your most embarassing experience, Ill start.

This happened two years ago when I had my 97' ZJ. I was driving around with some friends on a nice spring day and then all of a sudden it starts to downpour like hell. Being the genious's we are(keep in mind I was 16 at the time, 18 now) we decided to hit up this dirtbike course that serves as an offroading place behind the local ice skating place, knowing that its all nice and muddy and full of deep puddles. Tthey also ahve the genious idea of rolling down all their windows and blasting bethoven:rolleyes: . 20 minutes had passed and so far I had made it through ok, although I almost got stuck a couple of times atempting hill climbs.

Well as were driving around the course my friend notices this one puddle in the distance and talks me into going for it. After a bit of arguing he persuades me to try it. After I threw it in 4hi I get some decent speed and attempt the puddle only to fall short and get stuck.

Turns out the puddle was at least 6 feet deep and there was a bunch of mud where I got stuck, so water started rushing in through the doors. So since were stuck I turned off the engine but left the music playing. After calling our friends and waiting for an hour they finally show up, one in a dielsel f350 truck with 6" lift and stockers and my friends stock 89 XJ.
By now the interior was filled with mud and water and we still had beethoven blasting as loud as we could, and it was still storming too.

It took 4 tries to haul my ZJ out. The first two times my friend in his XJ tried to pull me out didnt work, so the last two attempts included the XJ and the F350 together.

Anyways, after I got out I spent a week cleaning out all the mud, water and whatnot.

Now that Ive grown older and have my TJ and more offroading experience Ive definatley grown alot smarter about when/where I go offroading.

iwishihad1 04-08-2006 11:34 PM

nothin too bad yet. but a girl with my exact same xj was at one of my friends houses. i panzied out on hitting a mud hole, and guess who had to out do me. A GIRL..lol

so people still give me crap about that one.. but oh well

hyperse7en 04-09-2006 02:30 AM

i was out wheelin with a girl from my school (kinda datin..........she loves the gladiator lol) she had to be home at 4:30. it was 4:00 and we were headin out, when my new electric fuel pump went out! :brickwall didnt have time to mess around, so i leave the truck (200 feet from campsite) and we walk the whole 6 miles to her house, then i have to walk the whole 6 miles back (well jogged most of the way) well...........now that shes late, she got grounded for the week, so cant go wheelin until next weekend! :( i took the pump back to the store, and told them the story. i didnt have the reciept so they looked up my phone number, and handed me a new one, and said "have a nice day" so a trip up to camp, a half gallon of gas, and 10 minutes later, i had it goin again. thats my second fuel pump burned up, in the past couple months (first one was a weak pile, and second was factory junk, or went through a beating. not filter issue) so i think from now on, im gonna keep a spare pump with me. well, even after makin a ******* outta me and my jeep, and her having to walk 6 miles, she still likes me, but im gettin kinda jealous of her bond with my gladi :laugh:

jeepcomanche88 04-09-2006 02:47 AM

well not really a wheelin story just more of a story that i wish i never did, and here it goes me and a friend were changing his battery and i had trusted him with the comon knowledge of him putting the battery in right and not even looking at what he had done i hooked up the wrong ends and blew the main fuse and now every time i walk into advance i get crap thrown at me and keep a bunch of crap and it dosent help that i know all of the guye there i will never do somthing stupid like that again. Come to think about it im probaly gonna get flamed by yall but ohwell what the heck.

hyperse7en 04-09-2006 04:30 AM

ahhh, thats not that bad. just not paying attention. i would have used "i had too much testosterone running through my head, to think straight" as an excuse :rofl:
something stupid is, when my neighbor left the plastic caps on the battery terminals, and tried to hook them up. i dont know about you, but i think i would have noticed them :laugh: well after a half hour of messing with it (i noticed he looked frustrated, as i looked out my window, but didnt really care to talk to him) he calls me, and tells me he thinks theres something wrong with his electrical system (this is on a sandrail) so i walk outside, and as soon as i look at the terminal, i just wanted to polk him in the eye with a stick. i removed the terminals, and threw off the plastic covers, hooked them back up, and he said "ohhh, i didnt know you had to pull those off. THE POSITIVE SIDE IS RED, you cant not notice that! that would be the reason i didnt wanna talk to him. hes 43, and still lives with his mom.........yea, a little creepy. hell act like your best friend, and mooch all of your time and help, but when you want help from him, hell blow you off. he has no job! even creepier. he doesnt keep promises......AT ALL! so you can see why i would want to polk him in the eye with a stick. (lol just sounds funny)

drexelsteve 04-09-2006 10:23 PM

Was wheelin in my 79 bronco at Rausch Creek maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It was a charity ride and i don't know how but i got stuck with a group of stock jeeps:brickwall anywho...Was coming up around a tight "S" turn and clipped a tree, which proceeded to fall on the zj in front of me. Smack dab down the middle of the poor thing, crushed the roof, hood, shattered the windshield, broke the sunroof glass....what a mess:rofl: When you radio "all clear" you better be all clear.

hyperse7en 04-10-2006 01:32 AM

:eek: !!!! who paid for the damage? talk about a crappy day for him :rofl:

YoungZJ 04-10-2006 01:53 AM

Bout a year ago when I still had my 88 silverado lifted 6" we went out to St. Johns river. They had just opened it so there was a good deal of water on the left side (right side has a higher elevation slightly). Well, we were mashin *** on the left side, with two buddies, one in a 75 chevy with 10" lift, and one in a 94 f150 with about 4" of lift. Well, I didnt know the depth so I stuck to the edge, and eventually pulled out into the sand. Well the 75 chevy went through and caught a patch that had flowing water up to his headlights. But he made it. The ford behind him wasnt so lucky, nose dived straight into the hole, water up over the hood up to the windshield. Fords dont float. Middle of winter, he got stark naked and was out hookin up tow straps so he didnt get his clothes wet cause none of us were gonna swim out to him. We ended up hookin my silverado and the 75 together to pull him out with a HUGE length of chain (dont remember where we got it). Well, once we got it out, we went to start it, pulled the plugs, flushed the water ya know the whole 9. Turns out the kid only did 4 of the 8 cylinders (we asked if he did em and he said yea). So we go to bump start it (starter wouldnt crank) what happens? Hydro'd the engine and bent a rod, NICE! Had to tow it about 10 miles back to town to his buddy's house cause he didnt wanna go home and face his dad, lol.

drexelsteve 04-10-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperse7en
:eek: !!!! who paid for the damage? talk about a crappy day for him :rofl:

well i gave him my insurance info but that was a joke, no way they were gonna cover it. Offered to pay his ins. deductible but he wanted to lawyer up so that's how it played out. I was covered by the park waiver so i guess he ended up payin.

koheed 04-12-2006 02:00 PM

This is similar to the original post. About 9 years ago, when I was in my late teens, I had my first and only YJ a few of my buddies and I decided to take the Jeep through a field after seeing a movie, shortly after midnight. I was speeding through puddles, splashing mud everywhere. Well, one puddle was not a puddle but more of a hole in the ground filled in with water. The front of the Jeep dived down into the hole, forcing my buddy out of the back seat, forward between the two front seats and his head (or some other body part) spiderwebbed the windshield. The Jeep managed to pop up the other side of the hole and rested on the edge teetering on the front right tire and the rear left tire. The three of us got out of the vehicle and it started to slip backwards slowly. We had no idea how deep the water was so myself and one buddy sat on the front of the Jeep to weigh it down so it was on three wheels now, while one buddy walked 2 miles to a pay phone. While he was gone a cop spotted us and came up with her lights flashing. She first asked if all was okay. I thought we were going to be in trouble. She chalked it up to a case of boys being boys, asked if we needed help (we said our buddy was getting some), then she took off to attend to an accident. To close the story quickly, ended up having a wrecker come out to winch me out. I ended up bending the crap out of my leaf springs and screwed up the steering. The guy in the wrecker felt bad for me and didn't charge me anything.

What I learned from the experience: Always go off-roading with a friend, and always know how deep the water is.

jocww 04-12-2006 03:08 PM

and wear a seatbelt

ImSuck 04-12-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousWithag
Like the title says share your most embarassing experience, Ill start.

This happened two years ago when I had my 97' ZJ. I was driving around with some friends on a nice spring day and then all of a sudden it starts to downpour like hell. Being the genious's we are(keep in mind I was 16 at the time, 18 now) we decided to hit up this dirtbike course that serves as an offroading place behind the local ice skating place, knowing that its all nice and muddy and full of deep puddles. Tthey also ahve the genious idea of rolling down all their windows and blasting bethoven:rolleyes: . 20 minutes had passed and so far I had made it through ok, although I almost got stuck a couple of times atempting hill climbs.

Well as were driving around the course my friend notices this one puddle in the distance and talks me into going for it. After a bit of arguing he persuades me to try it. After I threw it in 4hi I get some decent speed and attempt the puddle only to fall short and get stuck.

Turns out the puddle was at least 6 feet deep and there was a bunch of mud where I got stuck, so water started rushing in through the doors. So since were stuck I turned off the engine but left the music playing. After calling our friends and waiting for an hour they finally show up, one in a dielsel f350 truck with 6" lift and stockers and my friends stock 89 XJ.
By now the interior was filled with mud and water and we still had beethoven blasting as loud as we could, and it was still storming too.

It took 4 tries to haul my ZJ out. The first two times my friend in his XJ tried to pull me out didnt work, so the last two attempts included the XJ and the F350 together.

Anyways, after I got out I spent a week cleaning out all the mud, water and whatnot.

Now that Ive grown older and have my TJ and more offroading experience Ive definatley grown alot smarter about when/where I go offroading.

i basically did the same thing when i first bought my tj, having alot of fun in these small mudholes and wen into one that was like 5-6 feet deep to and just kinda sank. since my intake was above the water (it was high up out of the water) and my exhaust was below the water i just kept the motor running and it was kinda funny cause it sounded like a boat, but my friend was with me the hole time in his HUGE JACKED UP 99 2500 CUMMINS DIESEL with a warn 16.5 ti wich in the front he has to much money invested into it. but he was waiting for me to get stuck just so he could pull me out. well his wish came true and all it did was ope the holes in the bottom of my jeep and let the water drain out. if you want to see my jeep go look at my pics on my myspace.

jocww 04-12-2006 08:03 PM

i wanna see taht dudes rig sounds nice. i want a dodge love that cummins hate that tranny

violatedppl 04-13-2006 12:26 AM

have 2, both related to the same puddle/lake. first one happend about 10 years ago. my family and some friends go camping on presidents day weekend been doing it for about 20 years (or my dad atleast) so its raining so we cant shoot so we usually drive around. we find some mud puddles to screw around in. than theirs this one doesnt look to bad about 20 ft long 8 ft wide. our buddy dave goes through it in a stock 4wd ranger. he gets stuck and comes out of his window in he tighty whites. well we forgot the chains at camp. so his ranger sets their for about 10 minutes. we pulled him out in our stock 4wd ranger. the water had to be up atleast halfway up the doors. now fastfoward about 6 years. another guy in a stock 2500 454 suburban, decides to have fun in the mud. we tell him take the first left youll be fine, well he took the second left, which we all go on video. as he makes the turn my brothers starts laughing his *** off cause he knows whats coming and me being the smallest know I would have to get the chains out of our f350 diesle says, " you want me to get the chains" my dad says know he might make hit. well the suburban prob hit the puddle going atlest 25, in about 10 he came to a dead stop. I go get the chains my dad strips down to his underwear and hooks thim out and we pull him out in no time. but the puddle now known as daves pond ownes the license plat off that suburban. we now know not to go through it/

libertyRubicon 04-13-2006 11:43 AM

im the new guy.

one winter here in York pa we had a pretty good snow about 2.5' and i took my 95 yj over to my brothers to help dig him out. well i almost got there. luck have it a township plow truck blocked in his street with about 4' and my over confident dumb a$$ thaught i could make it. I bottomed out and had to dig for an hour. everyone was laughing becuase i bragged how i have never gotten it stuck before. Yeah i still hear about it

The time now is 12:06 AM.