4 Cyl Stories - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > 4 Cyl Stories

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
DbJeep02
1997 TJ Wrangler 

4 Cyl Stories

Ran into some guy today at a gas station and saw the conversation coming from a mile away. He wasn't even driving a jeep and when we start talking as soon as 4 cyl comes up he immediately gurgles out an "eugghhh". It's amazing how personal you take it when the very character of your vehicle becomes insulted. I want to hear some stories about 4 cyl jeeps pulling their weight despite the 2 cyl difference.

DbJeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
CaptainSlow001
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How many cylinders did the WW2 Jeeps have again?
Unread 05-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 4 banger TJ. I love it. But, I too wish it was a 6. There really isn't a trade off for the 4. The mpg's aren't even better lol. But they get the job done. Tell em its for crawlin, not racin.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/b...banger-805453/

Here ya go, an actual "story"

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
giddyupgo55
1977 CJ7 

4 cylinder? What is a 4 cylinder?
giddyupgo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
DbJeep02
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Guess you just have to take more pleasure in the thrills under 25mph.

YouTube - Jeep rescues Tahoe
DbJeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

4 cylinders have no power.

6 cylinders have some power.
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
bkings5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

a 4cyl? I only have a 6
bkings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
Kedive
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex211 View Post
4 cylinders have no power.

6 cylinders have some power.
Quoted for the the truth
Kedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
I have a 4 banger TJ. I love it. But, I too wish it was a 6. There really isn't a trade off for the 4. The mpg's aren't even better lol. But they get the job done. Tell em its for crawlin, not racin.
I get 21MPG average in my 4 cylinder, with 31" tires and the stock suspension. Everyone with a I6 says they get 16-18.

Smaller displacement = better MPG.
Pallando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

my little f-134 will crawl over anything. wont pull my other one out of the mud. but shes unstopable

2010 rubicon JK
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

I pulled a 4cyl TJ out of the mud around a gas pipeline once. then he tried to pull me out of some mud down the way and FAILED!! he was sunk halfway up his front tires and had buried the rears and i got him out, but when i slipped off the beaten path into some mud and only the left side of my jeep was stuck- he fails to pull me out. just starts spinnin on dry dirt in 4 lo. I know youre never supposed to go muddin alone so someone can pull you out, but whats the point when your wheelin buddies have a 4 cyl TJ and a samurai?

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
I pulled a 4cyl TJ out of the mud around a gas pipeline once. then he tried to pull me out of some mud down the way and FAILED!! he was sunk halfway up his front tires and had buried the rears and i got him out, but when i slipped off the beaten path into some mud and only the left side of my jeep was stuck- he fails to pull me out. just starts spinnin on dry dirt in 4 lo. I know youre never supposed to go muddin alone so someone can pull you out, but whats the point when your wheelin buddies have a 4 cyl TJ and a samurai?
So your saying his smaller engine was responsible for his loss of traction?

Completely different components of a car, dude. If he was spinning his tires pulling you out, its because his tires suck and/or he doesn't have a locking differential.
Unread 06-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

its the diff, one tire was spinnin away and the other was sittin there. but he had TSL radials on it with alot of tread, ive got nearly bald wildcat EXT's on mine and i was able to pull him out of worse stuff.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #15
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
its the diff, one tire was spinnin away and the other was sittin there. but he had TSL radials on it with alot of tread, ive got nearly bald wildcat EXT's on mine and i was able to pull him out of worse stuff.
Sounds about right. If he had the 6 cylinder then he'd just be spinning those tires slightly faster. All the torque and horsepower in the world means nothing when it just flows down the path of least resistance.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.