3 wheeling on the highway - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-20-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
JeepEpoch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 34
3 wheeling on the highway

I took my jeep in for new tires at the local tire place. The bill clearly stated "lug nuts tightened to factory standard." Well i had to find out the hard way that they werent....

I was driving down a 55 mph country road on a really nice summer night at about 11pm. The top was down, the stars were out, not a cloud in the sky. All of a sudden i hear a rumbling coming from the drivers side front. So i lean out over my half door just in time to see my tire detach from the jeep and rocket out ahead of me....i was too stunned to panic and amazingly i kept my cool. I started drifting to the left (towards the four foot ditch drop off) and through careful steering adjustments to the right and gentle pumping of the brakes i kept the jeep level enough so that the front end didnt even touch the ground. As i slowed down more it was harder to control and drifted into oncomming trafic (no traffic!) and closer to the leftside ditch at which point i jammed the brakes and held on for dear life as i knew a roll over was imminent....luckily though i stopped a mere inches from doing a roll over and the front dragged an soft gravel for only two feet.

When i jumped out of the jeep it was a 5.5 foot drop into the ditch...thats how close it was. My tire ended up about 300 ft away and only stopped because it crashed into the side of a house.

People hurt - 0
Property damage - 0
Jeep damage - 0

Sorry for the happy ending

JeepEpoch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM
222Doc
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 5,726
i never trust it after a rebalancing, check it right away. been there done this in work trucks. the get in a hurry and well......

http://www.parker4wheelers.net
www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com
222Doc is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 04-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Kastraelie
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Biloxi
Posts: 562
WOW! What a story; nice job telling it. I have had this happen to friends before. I guess you can add something to your list: "One angry conversation with Tire Shop Management: 1"

Building out a Jeep is like trying to smother a fire with twenty-dollar bills. You just never have enough at once to put it out...

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 04-23-2014, 04:56 PM
tj1997tj
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: altoona
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepEpoch View Post
I took my jeep in for new tires at the local tire place. The bill clearly stated "lug nuts tightened to factory standard." Well i had to find out the hard way that they werent....

I was driving down a 55 mph country road on a really nice summer night at about 11pm. The top was down, the stars were out, not a cloud in the sky. All of a sudden i hear a rumbling coming from the drivers side front. So i lean out over my half door just in time to see my tire detach from the jeep and rocket out ahead of me....i was too stunned to panic and amazingly i kept my cool. I started drifting to the left (towards the four foot ditch drop off) and through careful steering adjustments to the right and gentle pumping of the brakes i kept the jeep level enough so that the front end didnt even touch the ground. As i slowed down more it was harder to control and drifted into oncomming trafic (no traffic!) and closer to the leftside ditch at which point i jammed the brakes and held on for dear life as i knew a roll over was imminent....luckily though i stopped a mere inches from doing a roll over and the front dragged an soft gravel for only two feet.

When i jumped out of the jeep it was a 5.5 foot drop into the ditch...thats how close it was. My tire ended up about 300 ft away and only stopped because it crashed into the side of a house.

People hurt - 0
Property damage - 0
Jeep damage - 0

Sorry for the happy ending
How old are you?
I'm going to give you a piece of advise that if followed will save you headaches down the road.
ANYTIME you let some one touch your vehicle , even if it's a "simple" oil change ..... you need to check their work.
Way too many places will let any monkey with a wrench have a go at your stuff. You should check you other tires for stripped lug nuts by the way. Find out now .... not later.
I know an oil change and putting on a tire is childs play to most , but I repeat , "Always check their work".
I don't care if it's the dealership/factory and they replaced a spark plug ..... you need to check it.
The stories of so called pros/mechanics/whatever not being able to remember "righty tighty/lefty loosey" is amazing.

And it's so worth repeating again , you need to check their work -ALWAYS'
esp on tires cause that job is usually regulated to the monkey that they "think" can't even screw that up.

P.S , check each one of your lugs to see if it's stripped , or find out on the trail with a flat......

I'll turn over the soap box to someone else now.
tj1997tj is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM
tj1997tj
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: altoona
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
WOW! What a story; nice job telling it. I have had this happen to friends before. I guess you can add something to your list: "One angry conversation with Tire Shop Management: 1"
Which 9 times out of 10 will be the Tire guy saying "How do I know it's my guys fault?"
tj1997tj is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 PM
tj1997tj
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: altoona
Posts: 296
I may be a little overly touchy on this topic , nothing personal
tj1997tj is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 04-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Luke95
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Harwinton
Posts: 5,179
I would be quite pissed myself.

5.2 ZJ Pushing a dana 30 as far as it will go.
Luke95 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
JeepEpoch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1997tj
Which 9 times out of 10 will be the Tire guy saying "How do I know it's my guys fault?"
In the past ive always checked over repairs (on other vehicles - no problems yet with the jeep) but i honestly never considered checking the tightness of the lug nuts. The most basic common sence thing of any vehicle, how could you possibly get that wrong? Well i learn best by experience and this certainly was a lesson ill never need to be told again.

The driver of the tow truck did most of his business through this local mechanic and tried to convince me it was just coincidence...i politely said "its possible" but there was no way i was going to believe that. When i went to the shop the next day and informed the guy at the desk what happened he was more than appologetic and seemed legitimatly ashamed at what happened. They comped me for the tow truck also. Since no one was hurt and there wasnt any damage i really wasnt that upset...but they will never get my business again
JeepEpoch is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 04-24-2014, 04:16 PM
tj1997tj
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: altoona
Posts: 296
I wouldn't mind a loose one that I caught. The mistakes I hate to find in regards to wheels were nuts over tightened to the point your stud now turns.
That's a real knee slapper there.
Most likely all from misused air wrenches.
That's what I check for. Be a real downer finding out when you get a flat that ya can't get the wheel off.

I'm impressed your guy admitted fault and then paid for your tow.
I only hope he took it out of the monkeys pay.
tj1997tj is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-28-2014, 02:11 PM
rdbs505
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Green
Posts: 26
Thats a wild story, glad nobody got hurt. I second the checking of work done by ANYONE who touches your stuff. I've heard so many stories of people getting their oil changed by shops who "forget" to add the new oil after draining the old.
rdbs505 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 PM
tj1997tj
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: altoona
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbs505 View Post
Thats a wild story, glad nobody got hurt. I second the checking of work done by ANYONE who touches your stuff. I've heard so many stories of people getting their oil changed by shops who "forget" to add the new oil after draining the old.
Oh ya , don't add oil , don't add enough oil and my all time FAVORITE ...... don't reinstall the drain plug.
Now how on earth do you not put the plug back in.
No plug means you could not have checked the level .... or it would have said NONE.
And when you dumped in the new oil .............. what did you think was coming out the bottom.
Maybe 10 years ago my tow truck friend got a tow from a guy in I forget what kind of car but it was sporty.
Homie had his oil changed at an OIL CHANGING BUSINESS ..... IT'S WHAT THEY DO.
Well anyhow , turns out this had been an ON GOING PROBLEM at this establishment.
HUH??????
That means they did this OFTEN!!!!????
How?
Now what's scary is more likely than not ..... those monkeys are now working someplace else , or maybe not.
Who knows..................................
tj1997tj is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 PM
JeepTJ1998
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hilton Head Island
Posts: 1
One time when sitting at a stoplight waiting to turn I saw a Wrangler coming towards us and as it passes through the intersection I see the front left wheel come right off. I couldn't believe what I was watching. The wheel then veers left coming strait towards my side of the road. It hits the small median (about a foot high) and then the small upper slant of the median launches the tire about 4 feet into the air. At this time the tire was still going pretty fast. Probably in the 30mph range. It somehow dodges all cars (some having to avoid it) and it bounces off into the woods. I then look back over to see the driver driving off the side of the road with the jeep completely slanted (looked hilarious). He safely stopped and gets out with a face that says "Wtf just happened..." and then proceeds to call someone (probably a tow truck) lol.

Jeep Wrangler for life
JeepTJ1998 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 PM
OlYellerTJ
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East of the River
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepEpoch View Post
When i went to the shop the next day and informed the guy at the desk what happened he was more than appologetic and seemed legitimatly ashamed at what happened. They comped me for the tow truck also. Since no one was hurt and there wasnt any damage i really wasnt that upset...but they will never get my business again
I like the guy's attitude, and the way he responded to you. Was he the shop's owner? Apologetic? Meh. Ashamed? I just never saw that when somebody goofed.

I'd give that man another shot. I'm pretty sure he'd remember me, and make d*mn sure the work was done right. OTOH, I might be inclined to check their work the first couple times. ;-)

YMMV, and invariably will...

Ol' Yeller TJ
This message is composed of recycled electrons. None of the electrons was harmed or injured in the creation of this message but they have been shamelessly exploited for this use.
OlYellerTJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome