Zone vs BDS lifts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Zone vs BDS lifts

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Zone vs BDS lifts

Comparing the Zone Offroad 4.25" combo for TJ and the BDS 3" suspension which I would include a BL/MML with.

On one hand we have the Zone which comes with BL, MML, bumpstop extensions, rear track bracket, and some more goodies. For around $500.

BDS's $400 kit comes with just shocks and coils. BL and MML would be another $160ish, the stops and rear track bar relocation about $100. Almost $700 depending on the extras I get.

My real question is what are the differences in quality between the two brands?

I have heard that many zone parts are actually the same as BDS except without the premium warranty since they are sister companies. Yet I looked at Zone's warranty and it is nearly the same.

Thoughts?

Leffnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
06JeepLJ
2014 JK Wrangler 

You are on the right track with your thinking... I put the Zone 4.25" combo lift on my LJ, and am still loving it. It came down to money for me, had I been building to do more extreme wheeling I would have went BDS. But for what I do, I could not justify the $$$$. The 4.25" lift on my LJ rides better than stock. Fixed the sporadic Death Wobble I had, went from looking like a mail man to a real Jeep (according to my Brother in-law)... The only negative I have is a weird squeak from time to time, that unfortunately I cannot seem to track down... again real sporadic...
dscf6144.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
06JeepLJ
2014 JK Wrangler 

the one above is before....

below is after!
smalljeep.jpg

Unread 09-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can go wrong with either really...

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know anything about BDS, except I've heard their spring rates are stiff and ride harsh. I don't know from personal experience. That's just what I've heard.

I do know from personal experience that I was NOT impressed with the Zone diff guard I bought. The workmanship was inferior and I returned it. The mating surface wasn't even flat, the paint had bubbles in it, and the welds were ugly and sloppy. If they can't make a proper diff guard, what does that imply about their other products?

I recommend Savvy, Metalcloak, OME, and Rancho.

Yes I said Rancho. They are the low cost good stuff, IMO. The others I mentioned are the best (IMO), but cost more.

Rancho makes good TJ/LJ stuff, and probably good JK stuff. When I had an LJ, I was impressed with Rancho springs, shocks, and other things. Rancho products compared favorably to OME. I had both brands of lifts on that LJ at different times. I also had some great Savvy stuff on that LJ.

If on a tight budget and wanting something good for not much money, Rancho is hard to beat for TJ/LJ and probably JK. However, I do not like Rancho's XJ products. Their XJ springs are to stiff, IMO. I now have an XJ and no longer use Rancho products.

On my XJ, I am using OME springs and Metalcloak arms.
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Cavasar
Gig 'Em Ags

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can't speak for their other products, but the Zone 4.25" kit has made me very happy. Does what I need it to do, maybe one day I'll swap out the springs for MC and shocks for Bilsteins but for now things are just dandy.

Zone 4.25" Lift, Currie Antirock, Metalcloak CAs, Aussie locker, SYE/Adams DS, BFG 33s, 50" LED light bar, XRC8 w/ Amsteel synthetic rope
Cavasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I don't know anything about BDS, except I've heard their spring rates are stiff and ride harsh. I don't know from personal experience. That's just what I've heard.
In a TJ like OPs? Absolutely not. Springs are probably the best thing BDS makes and something like a 3" front/2" rear combo in TJ works quite well. I do have personal experience.
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to TJ Forum.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
In a TJ like OPs? Absolutely not. Springs are probably the best thing BDS makes and something like a 3" front/2" rear combo in TJ works quite well. I do have personal experience.
it works for me....

Btw bds coils are about 158lbs front 200 rear. Not in anyways stiff compared to other companies. Stock is 140. I have noticed my rear was a little stiff, but not bad. I do have a decently heavy rear bumper and a 32" spare on 15x8 steel rim, and a huge sub box in the back

Unread 10-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did a review of my 5.25" Combo kit that Zone had put together for me several years ago when they were a new-kid. I have been VERY pleased with the whole package. The ONLY negative that I can say about the kit is the sleeves for the bushings are rolled metal, they are NOT solid. I have had a fairly loose rear end for a while now (let the jokes begin!!) and have gone through about 4 sets of rear LCA bushings. The mounting holes on the frame for the LCAs were no longer round so I re-welded a piece of 3/16" steel to it with a new 31/64" ROUND hole drilled in it and have taken almost all of the play out of it. The issue I was running into with the sleeves for the bushings was they were separating at the seam where the metal was rolled. It was then allowing MORE play. The bushings were then shot due to the rear-end jumping all over the place in the oblong hole, with an open sleeve, and only the bushing trying to hold it in place. When I re-welded the new metal "mounting holes" to it, I also ran a bead down the seams on the sleeves. Ground it down to where it was smooth and slammed them in. Only been a couple weeks, but am happy with the work and the nice tight rear end I have now! ha ha ha!

If you want to read my review that I did on the lift back when I first bought it, it can be found here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f239/...ackage-861921/

I have since added a Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Detroit locker (which I think my backlash is a little off.... that's the added "looseness"), SYE and Adam's DS. Have had it offroad many of times with the tires rubbing the pinch seam in the rear fender wells (cuts in my tire tread to prove it!) and have not missed a beat. Can't say enough about the Zone kit. Very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06JeepLJ View Post
The only negative I have is a weird squeak from time to time, that unfortunately I cannot seem to track down... again real sporadic...

I had a very interesting squeak on mine as well. I finally pin-pointed it to the front quick-disconnects. If you have them, throw a little bit of grease on the upper ball-joint and work it in. Should help, if not eliminate it.

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffnasty View Post
BDS's $400 kit comes with just shocks and coils. BL and MML would be another $160ish, the stops and rear track bar relocation about $100. Almost $700 depending on the extras I get.
thats a bit high for estimates on extras, rear track bar brackets are around $20, bump stops front and rear shouldnt run you any more than $30. i'd say the mml and bl are about $40 over priced as well

very happy with the bds stuff i have, originally went with the 2" springs and have since gone to 3" up front and 2" in the back. there is nothing harsh about the ride and i'm on e-load tires
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
stump1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
You canT go wrong with either really...
fify
Unread 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
etsubchief
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I installed 3 inch zone on my LJ. Its been about 6 months, no issues yet.
Unread 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump1

fify
That's what I meant lol. Didn't catch that.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.