Zone 3" Lift - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Zone 3" Lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #31
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

looks good man, let me know how those shocks ride i need to get new ones and have been looking at getting some Zone hydros for the time being.

drewtj05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #32
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

thanks, man. I'll definitely report when I get it driving again. I spent most of this evening with a Dremel, a punch, and a BFH taking off those stupid rear shock mount nuts that are welded to the frame. Tomorrow gonna pick up some grade 8 hardware to mount the shocks, install my Currie HD adj track bar, and doing a driveway-style alignment to get the toe and the steering wheel back where it's supposed to be.
Unread 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #33
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

how much did you end up paying for all the parts that you got?
Unread 12-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #34
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Currie Adj track bar was $295 shipped on eBay, found it by searching the part number 'cause the auction title said it was for an XJ IIRC. It's the CE-9120TJJ that has oversized bolts on both ends.

the lift (springs, shocks, rear trackbar bracket, T-case drop, sway bar end links, bump stop extensions, hardware) was about $480 shipped

BFG KM2 3x10.5R15were about $780 shipped from 4 wheel parts...per tire would have been less at Tire Rack but 4WP had a $60 off a set of 4 BFGs at the time, may still be going.

$40 for the 31 tooth speedometer gear from Quadratec, with which I also ordered a $40 set of armrests for my doors and paid $13 to ship them both.

Then I've got about $1.50 in new grade 8 shock mount hardware and $5 worth of fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels for the Dremel, and probably $40 in sanding and painting supplies for the wheels.

All in all about $1650.
Unread 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #35
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get those shocks on?
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #36
33shooter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I look forward to seeing it with the KM2's, this is the setup I'm looking at now.
33shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #37
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtj05 View Post
Did you get those shocks on?
yep, sure did.

Most of the posts on that subject around here will tell you to loosen the body mounts and jack up the body to get to the bolts, or "a body lift makes it easier". I even found a few suggesting to cut a hole in the floor from the inside to access them.

I got a dremel with reinforced cutting wheels (#426). From below, putting the dremel through the rectangular hole that the shock eye sits in, I was able to cut halfway through the nut before I reached the limit of the cutting wheel diameter. At that point I took a 12-14" long punch and a 4lb hammer and knocked it out with a few good whacks.

Note: Apparently many TJ's only have a single tack weld on one side of the nut and can go straight to the punch step without the dremel cutting. Mine had welds on at least two sides on every nut and there are a few reports of this. If you take the inner fender liner out and can see/feel that the nut only has one tack weld, you might be able to skip the dremel step.

With the fender liners removed I could reach in there with pliers, wrench, vice grips to rip it off once it popped up and was hanging by a mangled remnant of tack weld. Replaced with 5/16"-18 x 1" grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers, inserting the bolt from the top with the nut underneath. With the fender liners removed I was able to get a wrench in there to hold the bolt still while tightening the nut with a socket on an extension. Repeat 3x and the shocks are on.
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #38
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I also took it in for an alignment check to see how the caster came out, it ended up at 4°. I was thinking I would either get the alignment bushing bolts or LCA's to bring it back, but it doesn't wander at all so I'm going to leave it alone at least for now.

Also my vibration/shimmy is completely gone. Pretty sure it was from the tires, they had been driven for quite a while being out of balance and probably wore funny. Also could have been a bolt that wasn't properly torqued that I removed and torqued during the process.

I keep meaning to get a picture but I keep working late and it's dark when I get a chance. I'll try to snap one during lunch today.
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #39
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 12-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #40
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice looking LJ.

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #41
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post
DAMN! that is a nice looking rig. How does she ride?
Unread 12-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #42
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rides great. Just slightly stiffer than stock, which may soften up after some miles, but definitely comfortable.

Hard to really say anything about the shocks themselves, since the springs were changed at the same time, but they do a good job of controlling the Zone springs so I'd bet they're a hair stiffer than the stock shocks too, and I would expect them to ride well with stock springs.

Tags
suspension lift , zone , 3"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.