ZJ Tie rod or Crown Rough trail HD tie rod? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ZJ Tie rod or Crown Rough trail HD tie rod?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
trailinAZ2MI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ZJ Tie rod or Crown Rough trail HD tie rod?

Ok going to be swapping out the tie rod and these look like two good and cost efficient options. ZJ has to be the V8 version, and uses the stock drag link. The Crown HD RT looks pretty good and beefy, but its hard to find info on. Let me know what you guys think... Opinions, observations, and knowlegde welcomed and appreciated.

trailinAZ2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Crown HD steering = ZJ V8 steering.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
munroejp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just did the ZJ upgrade. It was really easy to do, got the parts from NAPA. Really like it.

What are your plans? If lots of offroading in the future, many reccomend the Currie HD upgrade.
munroejp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can get the ZJ tierod from Autozone for $66. I like mine and it's held up great so far.
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thing about it this way - The ZJ rod cheep, easy to find a replacement or new ends for if in the middle of no where if you do manage to bend it or toast an end and in my experience its been fairly durable

I've been running a moog ZJ TR for a few years now and for my jeep on 33s it works great. Not that I recommend it but I have actually gotten hung up twice were the front end was support by just the tie rod sitting on a rock and had no lasting ill affects
noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

MOOG ZJ swap.

"When you wake someone up with one hand on their throat and a blade in their mouth they become very compliant." ~ Cause

"You can't get us all"......."That's a fact, but you're first and he's second, do you care what happens after that?" Last stand at Saber River
Neeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
trailinAZ2MI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Does it matter where you get the ZJ TR? Autozone, Moog, napa, checkers etc? and you use your stock drag link right?

I am thinkin i will go with this one
http://rustysoffroad.com/product/RS-TR125-UV.html
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailinAZ2MI View Post
I am thinkin i will go with this one
http://rustysoffroad.com/product/RS-TR125-UV.html
why spend money on a super beefy tie-rod that uses stock ends?

the ZJ TR uses ~35% larger ends...and its cheaper...
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
trailinAZ2MI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

35% bigger sounds good to me! and they fit with no modification?
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailinAZ2MI
35% bigger sounds good to me! and they fit with no modification?
Exactly

"When you wake someone up with one hand on their throat and a blade in their mouth they become very compliant." ~ Cause

"You can't get us all"......."That's a fact, but you're first and he's second, do you care what happens after that?" Last stand at Saber River
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did the ZJ upgrade it was very easy. I looked other options over, and they all used the original TR Ends and that is what I wanted to get away from. Now, the only other way I would, and will go one day is the Currie Steering.

Yesterday A jeep next to mine had it and it is twice the solid metal the ZJ upgrade is. Now its just another reason I need more mulla>

ZJ or Currie, depending on your budget

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
AJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
trailinAZ2MI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet, thanks. So just go to napa or autozone? or dealership? or online? whats the best place?
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailinAZ2MI
Sweet, thanks. So just go to napa or autozone? or dealership? or online? whats the best place?
I got MOOG online for 127.00 with a discount. I got the Tie Rod, tr end, sleeve, and a can of PB blaster. Had it installed, and a STU OFFroad alignment done on an hour flat.

Unread 03-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
trailinAZ2MI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks hopefully I can get this done next week. What tools are needed to do this? anything special?
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailinAZ2MI View Post
Autozone for $66.

You might want to rent a tie rod separator too, not always needed but helpful.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.