ZJ Steering on the TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ZJ Steering on the TJ

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
jlsalani

2004 TJ Wrangler 

ZJ Steering on the TJ

I have been replacing all of the worn out stuff on the front of my 04TJ... which is basically everything. So far control arms and ball joints and want to take care of TRE's.... I wanted to go to the ZJ modification and have read quite a bit on it. I am getting my parts through the dealer (get a good discount).. Have the TJ drag link on order, just found out that the TRE that goes to the pitman arm is already the larger dia threaded portion. My current other tie rod has a threaded end on either side but I noticed that the 5.2L V8 (1998) tie rod has a fixed TRE on one side with an adjusting sleeve with a threaded TRE on the end..... I assuming this really doesn't matter that I would be changing things but just wanted to make sure

jlsalani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

The new setup will work fine but you'll need the different adjuster sleeve if you didn't order one. If you only ordered the tie rod ends they do not come with one since it's not a wear part and they expect you already have one. They are pretty cheap at the parts store or you can grab one at the junkyard.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsalani View Post
I have been replacing all of the worn out stuff on the front of my 04TJ... which is basically everything. So far control arms and ball joints and want to take care of TRE's.... I wanted to go to the ZJ modification and have read quite a bit on it. I am getting my parts through the dealer (get a good discount).. Have the TJ drag link on order, just found out that the TRE that goes to the pitman arm is already the larger dia threaded portion. My current other tie rod has a threaded end on either side but I noticed that the 5.2L V8 (1998) tie rod has a fixed TRE on one side with an adjusting sleeve with a threaded TRE on the end..... I assuming this really doesn't matter that I would be changing things but just wanted to make sure
Shouldn't matter. If it's not too late for you, I understand the drag link is identical between the 2, however the ZJ draglink is priced lower than the TJ part.

I'm surprisingly pleased with my ZJ tie rod, running 33's fyi.

edit: good call on Mathew900 there, I forgot about that.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
jlsalani

2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks... already have the TJ in hand.... was really making sure that the new setup of a fixed TRE with an adjuster sleeve and threaded TRE on the other will not matter when they do an alignment and adjust the toe. The current setup is both TRE's are threaded without an adjuster sleeve, but I guess in that case the entire tie rod is the adjuster sleeve!
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
jlsalani

2004 TJ Wrangler 

while you guys are at it.... if I make the swap and can't get in for an alignment right away will things be ok as long as I make the lengths the same as the originals??
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had my last alignment done at tire kingdom after upgrading to the ZJ tie rods and they did not question the setup. It's actually easier to adjust with the shorter ZJ sleeve.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
jlsalani

2004 TJ Wrangler 

good info.... thanks for the feedback.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would get the length as close as you can then use these instructions:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm

For my friends with trail rigs this is all we do. I do this first then have the shop check it because mine's also my daily driver.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

yeh that self alignment procedure is plenty good and very easy to do, I need to get mine lasered to double-check thrust and caster and stuff...but if your jeep was already setup, and you're just changing the tie rod, that toe alignment should set you up just fine. imo.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good thing I found this thread. I am looking at doing this swap myself sine a couple of my TRE's are leaking (read the boots are ripped). According to Autozone the drag links are different. I am sure they fit but (based on pictures) the steering stabilizer and tie rod holes are at a different angle.

Luckily my drag link TRE is the one that is not leaking seeing that that is the most expensive part of the setup.
elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.