YUKON v.s. SIERRA GEARS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YUKON v.s. SIERRA GEARS

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

View Poll Results: Which is Better
YUKON 13 81.25%
SIERRA 1 6.25%
They are About the Same 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

YUKON v.s. SIERRA GEARS

i ordered some replacement gears for my high pinion dana 30 and did not get what i ordered.

i ordered yukon

i got sierra.

some input would be great on the quality of sierra gears as i would not like to deal with the hassle of making this vendor take back the wrong gears and make good.

the company i ordered from does not need to be mentioned at this point. i can only hope that it was an honest mistake.

comments are welcome as i am very irked right now...

thank you,
Tim Doumit

Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In that case, order parts from me next time. If you don't care what you get. Order tires from me and I'll send you a big bag of dog food

Just take the time and send them back. get what you paid for.
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Disco69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yukon FTW!
[CENTER][B][SIZE="1"]3.5" RE Superflex Suspension Lift -|- RE Adjustable Trackbar -|- 35x12.50 STTs on Eagle Alloy 15x10s-|- D30 w/ ARB and Superior Outer Axle Seals -|- D44 w/ Detroit Locker -|- Superior 4.88s -|- ROKMEN Mercenary Front Bumper -|- ROKMEN Sliders -|- Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier -|- Warn M8000 Winch -|- JKS 1.25" BL -|- JKS 1" MML -|- Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks -|- OME Stabilizer -|- ARB OBA -|- MetalCloak Arched Front Tube Fenders[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767168"]My Build Thread[/URL][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Sienna Jeep Club Member #29[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="www.frozenaxles.com"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"]FROZEN AXLES[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="Orange"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Offroad[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Disco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
richs347
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not to jump your thread, but to add a little more info...

Out of curiosity, what makes one gear set better than the other if they are set up properly? Not that it doesn't happen, but I don't see a lot of gear failures (at least on the boards) based on quality control. It's usually the setup of the gears that was wrong which led to their demise. (I understand that poor quality could lead to more difficulty in setting them up in the first place.) Could someone enlighten me...

(...and yes, just like most of us, a nice hunk of well manufactured high quality steel does make me horny...)

I'm just wondering what actually makes Yukon better than the other 1/2 dozen gear manufacturers.
'05 Rubi Unlimited, RE 4.5 Springs / Adj arms, JKS body lift, RE Shocks, Jeep Medic Engine Skid, Rokmen Belly Up and gas tank skid, AtoZ Rockers, Bestop tire carrier and rear bumper, 4" Xenon flares, 35" MTZ's, custom front bumper, etc...

'99 Cherokee Sport, 5spd, 231, 8.25" rear, RE 3.5" lift, 31's
richs347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
RKHOWND

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs347 View Post
I'm just wondering what actually makes Yukon better than the other 1/2 dozen gear manufacturers.
For people that actually do setup gears, Yukon just sets up better over all. Tolerances are much tighter and they are much easier to pattern correctly set after set. You don't get the major difference between each set of gears. Nothing needs to be done to them out of the box either. No cleaning up of the ridges etc....
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, I'll always go with American made Spicer gears when available. Many of the others like Yukon are imported.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the vendor i went with me assures me of the same quality of yukon or better. he was very kind in offering me a call tag to have them picked up if i wanted. also, he apologized for switching without asking permission. the yukons were unavailable and he felt the sierras are of better quality.

he goes on with some other details i found interesting but the most important thing is i can send them back and he is willing to work with me. service is very important to me...

Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ive only heard great things about Yukons. Ive not heard of the Sierras though, so im not much help there.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Personally, I'll always go with American made Spicer gears when available. Many of the others like Yukon are imported.
I'm with you Jerry, particularly as you also once pointed out, they were the gears that were originally in our diffs.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I voted about the same...

the shop that did my gears used Sierra and I have no issues whatsoever. not sure what it matters.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.