JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   YUKON v.s. SIERRA GEARS (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/yukon-v-s-sierra-gears-786251/)

Tim 05-27-2009 09:42 PM

YUKON v.s. SIERRA GEARS

i ordered some replacement gears for my high pinion dana 30 and did not get what i ordered.

i ordered yukon

i got sierra.

some input would be great on the quality of sierra gears as i would not like to deal with the hassle of making this vendor take back the wrong gears and make good.

the company i ordered from does not need to be mentioned at this point. i can only hope that it was an honest mistake.

comments are welcome as i am very irked right now...

thank you,
Tim Doumit

mcg311TJ 05-27-2009 10:03 PM

In that case, order parts from me next time.:thumbsup: If you don't care what you get. Order tires from me and I'll send you a big bag of dog food:rofl::rofl:

Just take the time and send them back. get what you paid for.

Disco69 05-27-2009 11:09 PM

Yukon FTW!

richs347 05-28-2009 05:18 AM

Not to jump your thread, but to add a little more info...

Out of curiosity, what makes one gear set better than the other if they are set up properly? Not that it doesn't happen, but I don't see a lot of gear failures (at least on the boards) based on quality control. It's usually the setup of the gears that was wrong which led to their demise. (I understand that poor quality could lead to more difficulty in setting them up in the first place.) Could someone enlighten me...

(...and yes, just like most of us, a nice hunk of well manufactured high quality steel does make me horny...)

I'm just wondering what actually makes Yukon better than the other 1/2 dozen gear manufacturers.

RKHOWND 05-28-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richs347 (Post 7303741)
I'm just wondering what actually makes Yukon better than the other 1/2 dozen gear manufacturers.

For people that actually do setup gears, Yukon just sets up better over all. Tolerances are much tighter and they are much easier to pattern correctly set after set. You don't get the major difference between each set of gears. Nothing needs to be done to them out of the box either. No cleaning up of the ridges etc....

Jerry Bransford 05-28-2009 03:14 PM

Personally, I'll always go with American made Spicer gears when available. Many of the others like Yukon are imported.

Tim 05-28-2009 09:18 PM

the vendor i went with me assures me of the same quality of yukon or better. he was very kind in offering me a call tag to have them picked up if i wanted. also, he apologized for switching without asking permission. the yukons were unavailable and he felt the sierras are of better quality.

he goes on with some other details i found interesting but the most important thing is i can send them back and he is willing to work with me. service is very important to me...

:)

YJteen 05-28-2009 09:19 PM

Ive only heard great things about Yukons. Ive not heard of the Sierras though, so im not much help there.

Jeepguy1977 05-28-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 7306392)
Personally, I'll always go with American made Spicer gears when available. Many of the others like Yukon are imported.

I'm with you Jerry, particularly as you also once pointed out, they were the gears that were originally in our diffs.

bigj1974 05-28-2009 09:52 PM

I voted about the same...

the shop that did my gears used Sierra and I have no issues whatsoever. not sure what it matters.

The time now is 08:58 AM.