Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Your thoughts on odd steering problem.

791 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mrblaine 
#1 ·
Why do you think my Jeep turns right immediately, but won't turn left right away? You have to keep turning the wheel left until the tires do what you want them to do. I looked at it today at a stand still. The steering is pushing the Jeep frame away from the axle until there is enough pressure to turn the tires. What would cause this? It only does it when turning to the left. It's VERY noticeable at 65 mph. I do have an adjustable track bar coming. Would that have anything to do with it?

#2 ·
PGCI said:
Why do you think my Jeep turns right immediately, but won't turn left right away? You have to keep turning the wheel left until the tires do what you want them to do. I looked at it today at a stand still. The steering is pushing the Jeep frame away from the axle until there is enough pressure to turn the tires. What would cause this? It only does it when turning to the left. It's VERY noticeable at 65 mph. I do have an adjustable track bar coming. Would that have anything to do with it?
You are getting some slip somewhere. Check the tie rod ends and drag link. If you are unsure, then play safe and have a tructworthy outfit do a prelim front-end check.

#4 ·
It's not the steering box. It turns with the steering wheel when it's supposed to. The problem is that as the power steering turns the pitman arm, it kindof preloads the linkage before it will actually turn the tires. Make any sense? I could see the coil springs lean before the tires would actually turn much.

Going down the road at 65, if the Jeep needs corrected to the right, no problem. Tight steering to the right.
If the Jeep needs corrected to the left, I really have to turn the wheel to correct it. Slow response to the left.

#5 ·
PGCI said:
It's not the steering box. It turns with the steering wheel when it's supposed to. The problem is that as the power steering turns the pitman arm, it kindof preloads the linkage before it will actually turn the tires. Make any sense? I could see the coil springs lean before the tires would actually turn much.

Going down the road at 65, if the Jeep needs corrected to the right, no problem. Tight steering to the right.
If the Jeep needs corrected to the left, I really have to turn the wheel to correct it. Slow response to the left.
PGCI is correct.. There is another way. Jack up the front-end, get a friend and measure the steering arms / draglink movements. Its really easy to size up the problem.

#8 ·
Well, that makes sense. So hopefully my currie track bar (which is in the mail) will fix this. Thank you for the reassurance! I'll post again after I get it on and test drive it.

#9 ·
PGCI said:
Well, that makes sense. So hopefully my currie track bar (which is in the mail) will fix this. Thank you for the reassurance! I'll post again after I get it on and test drive it.
BTW- advice was given to check stuff with the axle on jackstands. Don't. That's an exercise in futility that will tell you nothing.

Instead, have someone hop behind the steering wheel with the tires on the ground and rock it back and forth with the engine off and ignition unlocked. Have them go from about 11:00 to 1:00 pretty enthusiastically. You stick your head under there and see what's moving that shouldn't be. You should be able to see the end of the trackbar moving back and forth in the mount.

#11 ·
I had a steering problem that I fixed last week. It was sloppy BOTH directions, but worse in one direction.

With the Jeep on the ground, have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth until the tires move. Look around. I would be willing to bet you find something loose in the joints. I had looseness in the trackbar at the frame end (driver side). TRE's were all good, drag link was good. But in tightening the TB, it REALLY helped. But I'd give some serious look at the TRE's as well.

#12 ·
You guys were exactly right! I replaced the front track bar, and it drives good as new now! I was able to take it out topless today in 70 degree weather!!! My boy and I have been waiting a long time for a day like today!

#13 ·
PGCI said:
You guys were exactly right! I replaced the front track bar, and it drives good as new now! I was able to take it out topless today in 70 degree weather!!! My boy and I have been waiting a long time for a day like today!
And they say there's no tech on this board. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.