Your thoughts on odd steering problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Your thoughts on odd steering problem.

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
PGCI
2009 JK Wrangler 

Your thoughts on odd steering problem.

Why do you think my Jeep turns right immediately, but won't turn left right away? You have to keep turning the wheel left until the tires do what you want them to do. I looked at it today at a stand still. The steering is pushing the Jeep frame away from the axle until there is enough pressure to turn the tires. What would cause this? It only does it when turning to the left. It's VERY noticeable at 65 mph. I do have an adjustable track bar coming. Would that have anything to do with it?

2007 Rock Red XK
PGCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Mondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGCI
Why do you think my Jeep turns right immediately, but won't turn left right away? You have to keep turning the wheel left until the tires do what you want them to do. I looked at it today at a stand still. The steering is pushing the Jeep frame away from the axle until there is enough pressure to turn the tires. What would cause this? It only does it when turning to the left. It's VERY noticeable at 65 mph. I do have an adjustable track bar coming. Would that have anything to do with it?
You are getting some slip somewhere. Check the tie rod ends and drag link. If you are unsure, then play safe and have a tructworthy outfit do a prelim front-end check.
Unread 03-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Fox Fader
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the steering box or a link to me.
Unread 03-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
PGCI
2009 JK Wrangler 

It's not the steering box. It turns with the steering wheel when it's supposed to. The problem is that as the power steering turns the pitman arm, it kindof preloads the linkage before it will actually turn the tires. Make any sense? I could see the coil springs lean before the tires would actually turn much.

Going down the road at 65, if the Jeep needs corrected to the right, no problem. Tight steering to the right.
If the Jeep needs corrected to the left, I really have to turn the wheel to correct it. Slow response to the left.

2007 Rock Red XK
Unread 03-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Mondo

Quote:
It's not the steering box. It turns with the steering wheel when it's supposed to. The problem is that as the power steering turns the pitman arm, it kindof preloads the linkage before it will actually turn the tires. Make any sense? I could see the coil springs lean before the tires would actually turn much.

Going down the road at 65, if the Jeep needs corrected to the right, no problem. Tight steering to the right.
If the Jeep needs corrected to the left, I really have to turn the wheel to correct it. Slow response to the left.
PGCI is correct.. There is another way. Jack up the front-end, get a friend and measure the steering arms / draglink movements. Its really easy to size up the problem.
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check your trackbar bushing on the axle end.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_98TJ
Check your trackbar bushing on the axle end.
X however many times it takes for you to do this. Your problem is the trackbar moving and not stabilizing the frame for the steering to react against.
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
PGCI
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, that makes sense. So hopefully my currie track bar (which is in the mail) will fix this. Thank you for the reassurance! I'll post again after I get it on and test drive it.

2007 Rock Red XK
Unread 03-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, that makes sense. So hopefully my currie track bar (which is in the mail) will fix this. Thank you for the reassurance! I'll post again after I get it on and test drive it.

BTW- advice was given to check stuff with the axle on jackstands. Don't. That's an exercise in futility that will tell you nothing.

Instead, have someone hop behind the steering wheel with the tires on the ground and rock it back and forth with the engine off and ignition unlocked. Have them go from about 11:00 to 1:00 pretty enthusiastically. You stick your head under there and see what's moving that shouldn't be. You should be able to see the end of the trackbar moving back and forth in the mount.
Unread 03-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #10
TJay
2001 TJ Wrangler 

mrblain is on the money with this.

Just had a DW problemand this is how i found the problem.

for the OP I would second the trackbar as the suspect part
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #11
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a steering problem that I fixed last week. It was sloppy BOTH directions, but worse in one direction.

With the Jeep on the ground, have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth until the tires move. Look around. I would be willing to bet you find something loose in the joints. I had looseness in the trackbar at the frame end (driver side). TRE's were all good, drag link was good. But in tightening the TB, it REALLY helped. But I'd give some serious look at the TRE's as well.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
PGCI
2009 JK Wrangler 

You guys were exactly right! I replaced the front track bar, and it drives good as new now! I was able to take it out topless today in 70 degree weather!!! My boy and I have been waiting a long time for a day like today!

2007 Rock Red XK
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You guys were exactly right! I replaced the front track bar, and it drives good as new now! I was able to take it out topless today in 70 degree weather!!! My boy and I have been waiting a long time for a day like today!
And they say there's no tech on this board.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.