Your opinion? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Your opinion?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
rustypjr

Your opinion?

I have a 97 black wrangler it is all stock. I have been driving it like this everyday fro about a year now and I want to raise it up and put bigger tires. It will be a daily driver and I don't do the rock climbing or nothing all I do is go hunting and have to go through a litttle mud. What do ya'll recommend that I get and money is an option. I want what will look the best but also not cost me an arm and a leg.

rustypjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Blue77

I have a set of BF Goodrich A/T KO's (31x10.50R15) which fit (barely) on stock rims... gives a nice agressive look without giving up much for use in traffic... I haven't had any issue with Mud nor did I require a lift (though they rub just a bit on the hard turns... i was told a 'wheel shim' would fix it.. but darned if I can find any )

The tires ran me about $120 a tire... and didn't cost anything for the lift and/or new rims...

I THINK this thread will be (should be) move to the tire/wheel/lift/ ect forum.. but thought I would throw my $0.02 before then
Blue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
TJgreg
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypjr
I have a 97 black wrangler it is all stock. I have been driving it like this everyday fro about a year now and I want to raise it up and put bigger tires. It will be a daily driver and I don't do the rock climbing or nothing all I do is go hunting and have to go through a litttle mud. What do ya'll recommend that I get and money is an option. I want what will look the best but also not cost me an arm and a leg.
2" budget boost:approx $220
1" Body lift: approx $115

set of 32" or possibly 33" tires: depends on the brand

from tire rack.com

BFG AT : 32 x 11.5 : 126 per tire
33 x 12.5 : 133 per tire

BFG MT :32 x 11.5 : 149
33 x 12.5 157

there are plenty of other options fpr size and type as well. Depending on your current axles, you may need to regear if going to 33's.
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
TJgreg
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue77
I have a set of BF Goodrich A/T KO's (31x10.50R15) which fit (barely) on stock rims... gives a nice agressive look without giving up much for use in traffic... I haven't had any issue with Mud nor did I require a lift (though they rub just a bit on the hard turns... i was told a 'wheel shim' would fix it.. but darned if I can find any )

The tires ran me about $120 a tire... and didn't cost anything for the lift and/or new rims...

I THINK this thread will be (should be) move to the tire/wheel/lift/ ect forum.. but thought I would throw my $0.02 before then
Blue, a few washers on your steering stops will fix the problem. You dont need to buy a kit, just a trip to home depot or and hardware store will do the trick for just a couple bucks.
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
bdt22

I had a similar goal. First, I installed a Skyjacker 2" suspension lift (about $220). That's just coil spring spacers and shocks, so it doesn't require any drive train changes. I added 16x8 wheels (about $100 per, but you can get them for less) and 265/75 (31.5") tires (a little over $100 per). I was told this would be pretty high without sacrificing ride quality etc., and it seems the advice was correct. I also didn't need to regear (at least I don't think so...). To kick out the wheels a little, I also added 1.5" wheel spacers from Biff at Offroad Overstock (about $180), and because it looks cool, I put on a steering stabilizer ($35).
[CENTER]Mile Marker PE8000 winch[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Warn Rock Crawler bumpers, front and rear w/ tire carrier[/CENTER]
[CENTER]K&N Intake, Flowmaster 40[/CENTER]
bdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
supaasianpdjr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJgreg
Blue, a few washers on your steering stops will fix the problem. You dont need to buy a kit, just a trip to home depot or and hardware store will do the trick for just a couple bucks.

Here's a write up for that and pics to make it easy: http://4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html
supaasianpdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJgreg
2" budget boost:approx $220
1" Body lift: approx $115

set of 32" or possibly 33" tires: depends on the brand

from tire rack.com

BFG AT : 32 x 11.5 : 126 per tire
33 x 12.5 : 133 per tire

BFG MT :32 x 11.5 : 149
33 x 12.5 157

there are plenty of other options fpr size and type as well. Depending on your current axles, you may need to regear if going to 33's.

If you go through some mud I'd say go with BFG Muds. They are great.
Throw 2"BB and set of 32" tires and you are good to go
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #344

2k2 TJ X
it's not your average grocery-getter...

3.07 GEAR CLUB MEMBER #14
polish jeep owner club member # 15

Jeep pix
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
Blue77

All that basically does is reduce the range of my steering (the same as simply not turning the wheel as far) correct?

I read on that article that you can get wheels with less backspacing, but I don't think i have ever seen that on a rim spec.. I normally see a diameter and a width (15x8 for example)...
Unread 01-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
supaasianpdjr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All that basically does is reduce the range of my steering (the same as simply not turning the wheel as far) correct?

I read on that article that you can get wheels with less backspacing, but I don't think i have ever seen that on a rim spec.. I normally see a diameter and a width (15x8 for example)...
Your right about about the turning radius....it doesnt limit it as much, heck now that I'm talking about it, I still have the washer in mine from my bb lift even though I got rims that have lesser backspacing now.

If you get rims with backspacing around "3.75 then you should be fine (your tire will stick out a little more from the fender, stock rims have "5.5 of backspacing.
Here's a good write about rims, tires, back spacing and wheel spacers.

http://jeep.us41.org/wheels/index.html
supaasianpdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 07:17 AM   #10
Blue77

THANKS!!

You guys are aweful nice to noobs
Unread 01-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #11
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Add a washer, check the clearance, add another if necessary. Just one washer fixed mine. Yes it does have the same effect as simply not turning the steering wheel as far, but now I don't have to worry about that. The increase in turning radius was not enough to be noticed and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new wheels or spacers. Use the money on something that will have a greater impact.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.