York rebuild tips (and I found the noise!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > York rebuild tips (and I found the noise!)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-03-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
BNovak

York rebuild tips (and I found the noise!)

Well...so it's confirmed that I am a half brain every once in a while.

So my first york pump was making a lot of racket while it was running, got another one, installed it and it's fine. So I decided to tear down the original and gussy it up a bit.

Here's some tips and tricks if anyone wants to try this at home.

1 - get a plastic tub of some sort - there is a TON of oil in random places in this thing (that now happens to be all over my work bench.)

2 - have a can of WD40 and AT LEAST 1 roll of paper towels.

3 - You'll need a 3/8's inch socket for the bottom bolts, and a 1/2 (I think it's 1/2) for the top ones. Don't screw around trying to take the 4 Torz bolts off the back - that holds the bearings in place.

4 - start at the bottom. first drain out the old oil, or at least as much as you can. Once you take the bottom plate off, spray the inside with WD40 - this will help get the old crappy oil residue out. Simple green helps here too. Clean it really well with paper towels. Bolt the bottom cover back on.

5 - take off the top cover with the 8 or so 1/2 bolts. try not to bend the metal gasket while you do this.

6 - Flip the pump over and let the old crappy oil drain out of the overflow catch. There shouldn't be too much in there, but it's in there none the less. Spray it down with simple green and maybe a shot of engine degreaser. I wouldn't use simple green in there as you don't want leftover water based product in there. You'll never get it out.

7 - Clean the tops of the valves - DO NOT unscrew the nuts on top of the valves. I made that mistake once. When you pull the nut off, the bolt falls into the bottom section, and you have to go and take that apart again.

8 - wipe everything down, give it a shot of WD40 and put it back togethor.

9 - Fill it back up with 10 to 12 OZ of oil. or so. DO NOT OVERFILL IT!

My gaskets were in pretty good shape, so I didn't worry about replacing them. Everything else seemed to be excpetionally well preserved for being like 20 years old.

The reason I say don't overfill it is this. When I first got mine I cleaned the outside and put new oil in. Stupid me, filled it up until the oil wouldn't go in anymore. Duh...and I wondered why it was knocking. There was so much oil in the bottom section that it was compressing on itself on ever stroke, so it would bang. Live and learn I guess, but now at least I have a spare pump if I ever need it.

Have fun!

--BN

Unread 11-03-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
Bucket110

would you be willing to sell it to a fellow jeeper???

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/2k2blktj]My Jeep[/URL]
Bucket110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 07:51 AM   #3
BNovak

Bucket - honestly becuase of the weight of this thing, your probably better off trying to find one in your area. (I also haven't re-tested this one to see if all the noises are gone.)

--BN

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.