YJ to TJ transfer case swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ to TJ transfer case swap

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

YJ to TJ transfer case swap

I was wondering if anyone knew what the differences were between the yj model np231 transfer case and the tj np231 transfer case. I ask this because I am in the process of putting in a yj np 231 into my tj. The differences I see so far are that the shifter arm is up instead of down, and that the yj transfer case is not fully open in neutral like the tj transfer case is. I am trying not to have to open these cases up. I am putting in this older model np 231 because it has a tera low kit installed in it. Thanks for the help.

motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did some more research and found that the tj 231's have a true neutral, but the yj transfer cases do not have a true neutral. Do you guys think this will pose a problem being flat towed. Will I have to do anything differently now?
I still am trying to figure out how to connect the linkage though. any help would be great
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

BigSquat has a build thread were he put a Rubicon Case in his YJ.
NorCalCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...my-yj-1014552/
NorCalCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, if you flat tow with the YJ t-case you will have to disconnect the rear drive shaft.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed. I just installed a t-case with an SYE in my TJ, and I'm having problems. I looked at the tag, and it says it's a 1996 t-case, so I'm not sure if it's a YJ or TJ case...
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Yes, if you flat tow with the YJ t-case you will have to disconnect the rear drive shaft.
Is this because I dont have a vacuum disconnect in my front axle? If you flat tow a regular yj you do not have to disconnect the driveline correct?

Thanks for the links guys but I am trying to go the other way from a tj to a yj transfer case. I switched all of the electrical but I am still trying to figure out the linkage. I just spoke to teraflex and he said that the linkage arm on the tj transfer case is clocked in a different position. I will try this when I get home. Any other input would be great.
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

the YJs use an internal slip yoke, while the TJs use an external slip yoke. better add a new YJ style slip yoke to your project list.

if it were me, i would pull the gets from the YJ case and install them into the TJ case, and also add a SYE at the same time. this way you do it all at once, you know it fits without screwing around with different linkages, and it will be a learning experience at the same time.

do it right the first time.
Unread 07-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
the YJs use an internal slip yoke, while the TJs use an external slip yoke. better add a new YJ style slip yoke to your project list.

if it were me, i would pull the gets from the YJ case and install them into the TJ case, and also add a SYE at the same time. this way you do it all at once, you know it fits without screwing around with different linkages, and it will be a learning experience at the same time.

do it right the first time.
Both t-cases have slip yoke eliminators already. I probably should remove the tera low and put it in my tj t-case. I am the one who originally installed it in the yj t-case so I already know how to do it. I was just trying to avoid it.
Unread 03-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
aerojeeptj

Sorry to wake up a dead thread. I'm in a similar situation. My 2004 TJ t-case has some issues and I'm pressed for time/money and a buddy of mine offered me a 1995 Cherokee t-case for pretty cheap. I was gonna do an SYE to it and just swap t-cases. Will I have any issues (vaccum?, electrical?) going from an '04 to a '95?
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think the elctrical will be the same. If I remember correctly the vacuum is different. If you can use the back half of your tj transfer case. Also use the shifter arm that goes into the transfer case from your tj. Another reason to use your tj inners is that a tj case has a true neutral where a yj case does not. In neutral on a yj case it spins both drivelines at the same speed.

This is all dependent on an xj case being the same as a yj.
98 jeep wrangler sport, 4' Fabtech lift, Skyjacker tummy tuck, Curried upper control arms(lengthened), Dana 30 with ARB and 4.88's, Rubi 44 with 4.88's, Rokmen corner guards, Tera Low transfer case kit, SYE, Much more......
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Luv-My-TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Works for me. I put a vacuum operated YJ t-case with a SYE in my TJ with no problems... direct fit other than the electrical connection swapped out where the vacuum was.
"I'm a TJ owner, I dont go waving like a retard who lost his helmet everytime i see a jeep. If you like to wave so be it, I have better things to do like running over boxes of puppies while driving drunk and texting from the other side of the highway." - KKiowaTJ
Luv-My-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv-My-TJ View Post
Works for me. I put a vacuum operated YJ t-case with a SYE in my TJ with no problems... direct fit other than the electrical connection swapped out where the vacuum was.
Yes it is a direct fit but the internal are absolutely different. The yj doesnt have a true neutral. The tj does. It is better for flat towing to have a true neutral. Also the arm that shifts that transfer case is clocked 180 degrees off.
98 jeep wrangler sport, 4' Fabtech lift, Skyjacker tummy tuck, Curried upper control arms(lengthened), Dana 30 with ARB and 4.88's, Rubi 44 with 4.88's, Rokmen corner guards, Tera Low transfer case kit, SYE, Much more......
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
dcioffjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you decide to still put that 231 in the tj out of the yj hit me up with a pm, I would be willing to sell you the stock output shaft for cheap as I recently installed a sye so it is just sitting collecting dust.
Dave
My Jeep: 3in full traction lift, with front and rear upper and lower adjustable rock krawler control arms, front sway bar discos, and 33x12.5 Maxxis big horn tires, advanced adaptors sye with tom woods drive shaft. Hp 30 with 4.88 gears soon to come.
my build thread here: www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/rocky-wrangler-1141329/
dcioffjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer case , swap , np231 , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.