YJ Half Doors on a TJ - Anyone actually done it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Half Doors on a TJ - Anyone actually done it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

YJ Half Doors on a TJ - Anyone actually done it?

There are a few threads about this already but not one definitive answer I could find. It seems that the shape of the YJ and TJ factory half doors are the same. The latches and hinges seem to be the issues.

Three questions:
1) The TJ door striker on the body is held on with two bolts. Is the swap as easy as bolting on a YJ pin style instead?
2) Are the hinges the same?
3) Is the location of the holes for the uppers the same YJ to TJ? Will TJ uppers fit into a YJ bottom without modifications?

I only have Bestop soft doors now, so I could easily sway the handles for the YJ ones and change the door latches to the older pins. Hinges are not a big deal, as long as they are close enough there will not be exposed holes in the door.

Thanks for any help.

djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

1. No, the YJ latch is bolted to the inside of the tub pointing forward and it catches the way our tailgates latch. The TJ latch is bolted on from the front and the tab that it bolts to would get in the way of mounting the YJ latch. You could use a YJ latch if you never plan to use the TJ latch again.

2. Yes, you can use the same hinges.

3. I'm not sure if the holes are the same.

The thing that I have wondered is if I can bolt the TJ guts into the YJ door so the YJ door will work for a TJ latch. If I find a set of YJ doors for cheap, I'll pick them up and try it.
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I was wondering about switching the "guts" on the inside of the door also, but since it doesn't matter which type I have, I'm looking to do whatever is easier. The only doors I have are soft doors, so switching them is easy.

I've never inspected a YJ latch up close. A guy up the block has one, maybe I'll go take a peak later.

The price difference seems to be about $150 to $300 for the doors. Since I have to paint, a scratched up set of YJ doors would save me a few hundred bucks. I don't mind making it work for that much money, I just want to make sure it's worth it.
Unread 08-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

bump......
Unread 08-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
ferny1usmc

not sure how safe this setup can be
ferny1usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferny1usmc View Post
What would be the difference?
Unread 08-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferny1usmc View Post
How could it not be safe? If the insides of the doors swap over, it will be no different than a TJ door. Are you just trying to get your post count up or do you have some kind of reasoning to back that?
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
mUD uCKeR

I hate to bring this post back from the dead... but did anyone figure if this was doable or not.
I have a extra set of YJ half doors... and it would be awesome to get on my TJ.
mUD uCKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I wondered about this too, but what I have is a set of tube doors from my YJ, and I want to be able to use them when I get my new to me TJ.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/install-yj-half-doors-tj-689693/

You had almost the entire thread title in yours...
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Can I buy YJ style doors for a TJ?

Seems I'm adding to the confusion a bit here, but in a slightly different way: Does anyone know where a person can buy YJ style doors made for a TJ (2003 if that matters)?
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #12
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have full soft doors, One day it rained and a friend at the shop had his CJ-7 doors, Full doors at that. I put them on and they shut and fit fine for what i needed at the time. I noticed on the rides i took with them, The smoker vent is hard to open as the dash on the YJ/CJ is more compact and the TJ's stick out with vents and HVAC and all. The door handle in the inside was hard to open as well as its up towards the top on the front of the door. The latches hooked up fine, With some adjusting they would fit good for a DD on rain cold days. But style lines are different and interior is off and they rattle, But are a cheap alternative and can be switched. It would be easier if you had YJ/CJ doors and just bought some YJ door strikers. The tub mounts are going to be the same, If they are off, Just re-drill and use tap and die to fix it.
Safety?? My 99' the has full hard doors and top still have the sticker saying they are only there to protect from the elements. They would not be less safe, So its better than nothing. Good luck, Just find a friend with what you want and see if they will let you try them on, Wont hurt.

Edit: Didnt read the link, But looks easy and he only posted the safety as for reason to cover his *** if somebody tried to blame him for any problems. Good write-up
Unread 07-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
mUD uCKeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689693

You miss understood...
We are talking about changing the latch mechanism in the half door from the YJ one, to a TJ style one... so that you don't have to screw with the posts on the tub.
This way, the hard doors can go back on, without having to screw around with the door posts ect.
That's fine for some people... but I don't want to do it that way.
mUD uCKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Except that this thread came first...
Unread 07-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mUD uCKeR View Post
You miss understood...
We are talking about changing the latch mechanism in the half door from the YJ one, to a TJ style one... so that you don't have to screw with the posts on the tub.
This way, the hard doors can go back on, without having to screw around with the door posts ect.
That's fine for some people... but I don't want to do it that way.
I don't understand what I misunderstood. The original poster and a few others asked about installing YJ half doors on the TJ. The OP asked about installing YJ strikers in a TJ. It is doable and is shown in the link. Changing out the strikers is less difficult than removing the bolts for a hardtop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt283 View Post
There are a few threads about this already but not one definitive answer I could find. It seems that the shape of the YJ and TJ factory half doors are the same. The latches and hinges seem to be the issues.

Three questions:
1) The TJ door striker on the body is held on with two bolts. Is the swap as easy as bolting on a YJ pin style instead?
2) Are the hinges the same?
3) Is the location of the holes for the uppers the same YJ to TJ? Will TJ uppers fit into a YJ bottom without modifications?

I only have Bestop soft doors now, so I could easily sway the handles for the YJ ones and change the door latches to the older pins. Hinges are not a big deal, as long as they are close enough there will not be exposed holes in the door.

Thanks for any help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mUD uCKeR View Post
I hate to bring this post back from the dead... but did anyone figure if this was doable or not.
I have a extra set of YJ half doors... and it would be awesome to get on my TJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdarx View Post
I wondered about this too, but what I have is a set of tube doors from my YJ, and I want to be able to use them when I get my new to me TJ.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt283 View Post
Except that this thread came first...
Touche. Did not realize until after I posted.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.