YJ D44 to TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ D44 to TJ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
ATTJ
OllllllO

1998 TJ Wrangler 

YJ D44 to TJ?

A local Jeep salvage has a YJ D44. Other than removing old and welding new mounts and brackets would it be a viable axle for a TJ? Similar track? Does anyone make a bracket kit for this swap?

ATTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
jeffmarion
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The yj never came with a dana 44. It might be from an XJ, and if it is, it has the same track width and bolt pattern as the TJ.

As far as brackets go, there are a lot of companies that make brackets for an axle swap into a TJ. The problem you may run into is that the brackets are mostly aimed 3" axle tube diameter axles, ie the ford 8.8, Dana 60 etc.. I think the dana 44 in an XJ 2.75"
jeffmarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There were some yj's that came with d44 rear axles.

Edit: if its from a yj then it's from a non US yj.
DirtRider1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure it isn't a D44A, as for viablity depends how cheap you can get said axle for. Cause with the work needed you might as well do an 8.8 if they have one.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
giles45shop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm actually in the process of doing this right now. I bought a set of Teraflex 44's from a YJ w/ ARB's, 5.13's, Superior shafts and the Teraflex High Steer kit and plan on putting into my TJ. These are an older version when Teraflex used to build a lot of custom stuff (from what I'm told), and have 2.75" axle tubes.

As mentioned above, most of the kits are made for 3 -3.25" tubes, but Rubicon Express does have front and rear kits that are made for 2.75" tubes. They run ~ $400 per axle, and I'm not overly excited about the front axle truss as it looks like it partially bolts to the diff cover mounting holes. Another option for kits is Teraflex, but you are looking at ~ $600 front and $500 rear. This is just for the kits, my local builder is quoting ~ $1000 to remove brackets from the 44's, weld on the new bracket kits, remove the existing 30/35 and install the 44's.

The Jeep currently has a 4" Teraflex short arm kit, but I am thinking hard about just biting the bullet and doing a fully linked suspension (3 link front, single triangulated 4 link rear) with the existing coil springs. I would use Poly Performance kits for the most part, which is going to run ~ $2K per axle installed.

Last edited by giles45shop; 07-30-2013 at 08:26 AM..
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
jeffmarion
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
I'm not overly excited about the front axle truss as it looks like it partially bolts to the diff cover mounting holes.
The truss actually is welded to the tube with the bolts to the diff cover for additional strength. But the purpose of the RE Truss is just to have a place to be able to weld your upper control arm mount to.
jeffmarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
giles45shop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Figured it would add strength, just don't like the idea of dealing with that whenever I pull the diff cover. I know it's for the upper control arm mount.

Thanks,
John
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
ATTJ
OllllllO

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. When I first contacted the seller it was via email. After finding out that a D44 in a YJ is a rarity I called the seller but was unable to connect so I left a message. As of now I'm waiting for a callback so I can confirm what vehicle it originated from. Then I will probably have more questions.
ATTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.