Yet another thread about opda - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yet another thread about opda

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
Ryan0186
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yet another thread about opda

This is my first time posting in the forum though I have been lurking here for quite a few years. I have recently purchased my fourth and last Jeep Wrangler TJ ( keeping this one forever). I found a good deal on an 05 TJ X with 49K. All of the other TJ's that I have owned have been 97's. All have been great. I ran across a thread on here while seraching for recall info on my 05 and saw the OPDA issues. My 05 only has 49K miles and I have not had a chance yet to pull the OPDA and take a look at the gear. I am leaving it parked till I can insepct it. Currently not showing any issues, thrown codes, or noises but I am still a little worried that it could break at any time. From what I have read the E05 TSB covers Jeep TJ 2005 built between OCT 04-FEB 05....Well wouldn't ya know it...my Jeep was built smack in the middle of the date in 12/04. I took a look at the label on my OPDA and saw that it was a REV E. I read some stuff online about the REV B and REV E OPDA's but could not find out what the difference between the B and E are. Was hoping someone could shed some light on this. Also was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the Crown replacment OPDA? Gear wearm noises, leaks? I am thinking if I find any kind of wear on my OPDA I am goign to order the Crown version and just check it every 7500-10K for abnormal wear.

Ryan0186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your first post and on a topic that already has hundreds of pages? Ok, no difference in any of the OEM versions. Dorman appears to be a copy of the OEM , but with better bushings. Crown appears to have better oiling of said bushings.Buy a Crown for backup, but don't automatically install. Check for wear and monitor.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am thinking if I find any kind of wear on my OPDA I am goign to order the Crown version and just check it every 7500-10K for abnormal wear.
The key here is to look for abnormal wear. The gear is supposed to wear over time. I've got over 100k on my '06 and while there is wear on the gear, it is slight and normal and the bearing still spins free and clean. As far as I can tell it isn't wearing any further than when I initially checked it so I haven't replaced what isn't broke, mostly for fear of introducing a problem that isn't already there.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

YAWN...

As stated there is already a thorough thread on this.... Would have been a good place to start posting.

Good luck
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0186 View Post
This is my first time posting in the forum though I have been lurking here for quite a few years. I have recently purchased my fourth and last Jeep Wrangler TJ ( keeping this one forever). I found a good deal on an 05 TJ X with 49K. All of the other TJ's that I have owned have been 97's. All have been great. I ran across a thread on here while seraching for recall info on my 05 and saw the OPDA issues. My 05 only has 49K miles and I have not had a chance yet to pull the OPDA and take a look at the gear. I am leaving it parked till I can insepct it. Currently not showing any issues, thrown codes, or noises but I am still a little worried that it could break at any time. From what I have read the E05 TSB covers Jeep TJ 2005 built between OCT 04-FEB 05....Well wouldn't ya know it...my Jeep was built smack in the middle of the date in 12/04. I took a look at the label on my OPDA and saw that it was a REV E. I read some stuff online about the REV B and REV E OPDA's but could not find out what the difference between the B and E are. Was hoping someone could shed some light on this. Also was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the Crown replacment OPDA? Gear wearm noises, leaks? I am thinking if I find any kind of wear on my OPDA I am goign to order the Crown version and just check it every 7500-10K for abnormal wear.
If I had an 05 would do just as you are thinking.

I would buy the Crown unit, Install it and then I would not think about anymore. Inspecting it periodically is fine if that's what you want to do.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
Ryan0186
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Pulled my OPDA tonight and saw only a very minimal amount of wear of the gear. I did notice that there is some verticle play between the gear and the bottom of the ring that the gear rides against. Is there supposed to be verticle play? I tried googling for this answer and well as searching the forum and could not find an answer. If the verticle play in the shaft is normal than I am just gonna throw the stock OPDA back in place till my next oil change in 5k and then swap it out. This jeep only gets driven a few days a month so it will be prob quite a while before I do the swap. Thanks
Unread 02-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I will give an opposing view. I would go ahead and install the Crown now. The less wear on the cam, normal or otherwise, the better the chances of the new Crown OPDA gear finding and making a nice new home with the old cam gear.

A little end play is normal, any side play or resistance to rotation is not. If the OPDA does not spin freely, you should pull it immediantly.

I could be wrong on this but didn't the original service letter dealing with this specific time frame result not because the OPDA is a pile of stinking XXXX but because the OPDA drive gear was the wrong hardness causing accelerated cam gear wear?

I think you should have stayed in the original thread, lol. Oh, disclaimer, I in fact claim to be expert on nothing has a Dorman and unlike the OEM OPDA does get some oil in the lower bearing area though I agree, I think the new Crown, which has no service history to speak of, is probably a better design, just from the pictures I have seen of it.

Get the Crown, change it out, get it over with. Then live happily ever after.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #8
Ryan0186
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds good. I appreciate all the input and we can put this thread to rest. The crown unit will be ordered asap. I'm just gonna throw a grease fitting on the factory unit and keep it as an extra on the garage shelf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.