JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Yet another Aussie Locker question!!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/yet-another-aussie-locker-question-1080660/)

TeeJay00 08-01-2010 11:38 AM

Yet another Aussie Locker question!!!

Since adding a cruise control to my TJ went down the drain. And with the budget I have I went to the next mod on my "to do list" LOCKERS!

Now I have read lots and lots of reviews about the Aussie Locker for the D30 here on JF and on lots of other sites as well. Now everyone who has an Aussie locker on his D30 seems to have pretty good feedback on its performance in offroad and on paved roads.

For me and as my TJ is a DD and the fact that we only go offroading in the three or four months of winter here. I think this kind of locker with it's great price really fits my needs and I am almost sold. :thumbsup:

However, as this is an automatic locker, I am more concerned in it's performance on the road. I'm talking dry, or heavily wet roads. And what about the bends, curves and turns on hiways with speeds averaging to a 60Mph? How would this locker perform? Will it be safe to drive on these roads or not?

I know that I should get used to each mod I install on my TJ and that I should be carefull untill I get the hang of it. But what do you guys think?

All your tips and advice are welcome and highly appreciated :2thumbsup:

J03_TJ 08-01-2010 02:24 PM

I daily drive mine and have no problems. I can say I never commute in 4 wheel drive though. Only shift into 4x4 when needed. I wouldn't want any locker engaged when doing any sort of highway speed.
In 2wd on gravel, wet, snow covered roads I cannot notice mine even at any highway speed, even through curvy sections as well.

TeeJay00 08-01-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J03_TJ (Post 9886945)
I daily drive mine and have no problems. I can say I never commute in 4 wheel drive though. Only shift into 4x4 when needed. I wouldn't want any locker engaged when doing any sort of highway speed.
In 2wd on gravel, wet, snow covered roads I cannot notice mine even at any highway speed, even through curvy sections as well.

That's good to hear :thumbsup: Do you happen to remember how much the package weighs?? I need to know before I order it just to get an estimate on the shipping!!! Thanks :)

TeeJay00 08-01-2010 04:06 PM

I have just thought of a couple more questions...

The package they sell at Northridge4x4 for $249... Is that a complete bolt on install package? Or are there any additional parts needed to complete the install and have that locker running?

And does it matter what gear ratio I have when I buy it? Or should i just choose Dana 30 and that's it?

Jerry Bransford 08-01-2010 05:16 PM

No need for additional parts (other than fresh gear lube and RTV) and it doesn't care what axle ratio you have.

TeeJay00 08-01-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 9887693)
No need for additional parts (other than fresh gear lube and RTV) and it doesn't care what axle ratio you have.

So that's it? All I have to do is get the locker for the D30 and I'm all set? :)
And since I have to add the shipping cost all the way over here... Do you how much the box would weigh??

Thanks again Jerry :thumbsup:

J03_TJ 08-01-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay00 (Post 9887002)
That's good to hear :thumbsup: Do you happen to remember how much the package weighs?? I need to know before I order it just to get an estimate on the shipping!!! Thanks :)

Like Jerry said, just get some RTV. I used the grey or black ultra type by permatex (spelling??). And I bought mine from Northridge and they handled the shipping for me. I don't know the exact weight, but around 2-3 lbs if I had to guess. just a couple of little gears and parts. I still have my old spider gears in it. it measures around 2" x 4" x 10" from memory.
Depending on your gears you might have to pull the carrier out. Although, pulling it out made it more easy as it was on a bench. I did use new ring gear bolts because I read somewhere that you should use new ones?? Had to buy them from the dealer to get the right ones with the little groove on the bolts.
We did mine and a buddies one day and went pretty good. I read on a towel trick to get the carrier out, although I just pried on mine a lot to get it out. follow the directions in the box and you should be good to go.

edit, oh yeah, you might want to pick up some loctite for the ring gear bolts???

TeeJay00 08-01-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J03_TJ (Post 9887837)
Like Jerry said, just get some RTV. I used the grey or black ultra type by permatex (spelling??). And I bought mine from Northridge and they handled the shipping for me. I don't know the exact weight, but around 2-3 lbs if I had to guess. just a couple of little gears and parts. I still have my old spider gears in it. it measures around 2" x 4" x 10" from memory.
Depending on your gears you might have to pull the carrier out. Although, pulling it out made it more easy as it was on a bench. I did use new ring gear bolts because I read somewhere that you should use new ones?? Had to buy them from the dealer to get the right ones with the little groove on the bolts.
We did mine and a buddies one day and went pretty good. I read on a towel trick to get the carrier out, although I just pried on mine a lot to get it out. follow the directions in the box and you should be good to go.

edit, oh yeah, you might want to pick up some loctite for the ring gear bolts???

hmmm... Great thanks :wave:

Jerry Bransford 08-01-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J03_TJ (Post 9887837)

He hopefully won't have to remove them. And if he's lucky, though this depends on his axle ratio, he won't have to remove the carrier at all.

2006_Sport 08-01-2010 06:00 PM

I THINK if he has 3.73s or 3.07s he has to remove the carrier.

TeeJay00 08-01-2010 06:10 PM

Do explain more on this point please!!!

Edit: I have the 3.73 !

J03_TJ 08-01-2010 06:15 PM

I had 3.73s when I did mine, and yep, had to remove it.

TeeJay00 08-02-2010 11:21 AM

What are the limits of this locker? If something is expected to snap/break. What would it be? Is it serviceable? Are spare parts available for the aussie locker?

crgrissom 08-02-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay00 (Post 9891137)
What are the limits of this locker? If something is expected to snap/break. What would it be? Is it serviceable? Are spare parts available for the aussie locker?

You're much more likely to break an axle than the locker itself. Get some spares and know how to change them.

Chuck

TeeJay00 08-02-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crgrissom (Post 9891788)
You're much more likely to break an axle than the locker itself. Get some spares and know how to change them.

Chuck

Yes but are they serviceable??? I know they are cheap compared to other air lockers and so. But I don't want them to be like "Japanese cars" cheap! You know... The car is cheap to buy and then they get you on spare parts :thumbdown:

Are spare parts for the aussie lockers available if needed? :confused:

The time now is 02:31 AM.