Yes, another lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yes, another lift question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 07-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
electrolime
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, another lift question

Im learning.

I have 2" spacers and perfectly satisfied with the height. That is, until I put a winch on front. Now I feel like its sagging way too much in the front.

here's the question:

If I throw in the RC 2.5" coils to stiffen it up, do I HAVE to replace my shocks immediately? Like can I just wait to buy shocks later and be safe to wheel on RC 2.5 coils and stock shocks for a while before I decide which shocks I want? Ive been rolling around with 2" spacers on stock shocks for a while and it hasn't seem to hurt anything.

like if it is still sagging too much in the front Im going to throw some more spacer up front.

So to recap:

What will it hurt if I run 2.5" rc coils with stock shocks?

Thanks

#donthatethechrome
electrolime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
DaveS01
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You will have zero down travel. You will ruin the shocks and it will ride like ****.

The previous owner of my TJ had 2" spacers and stock shocks and I hated it. I found 2013 jk shocks with 0 miles on them for 20 bucks on craigslist. Also added bpes and now have all the travel I need for what the suspension is.

It is just tempory for me but it rides nice and performs good offroad for being so cheap.
DaveS01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
electrolime
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS01 View Post
You will have zero down travel. You will ruin the shocks
good points, good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS01 View Post
and it will ride like ****.
Well I mean my jeep right now with 2" spacers rides like a dream compared to some of my friends with BDS and Skycrapper. However i do also have warn bumpers and a full spare so that is probably factoring in to causing them to sag.
#donthatethechrome
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
DaveS01
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine rides decent for what it is
DaveS01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

why rc springs? they are known to be soft.
u have a winch, bumpers, full size spare.
why not research coil spring rates, and see what will work, and last, without a spacer.

there are other spring choices that might be better?
zone, bds, ome, exc...
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
OmniscientHiers
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Grab some OME's for best spring rate. Wait til you can afford both shocks and springs, however, there's a chance you could sell them.
OmniscientHiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
electrolime
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
why rc springs? they are known to be soft.
u have a winch, bumpers, full size spare.
why not research coil spring rates, and see what will work, and last, without a spacer.

there are other spring choices that might be better?
zone, bds, ome, exc...
I was thinking about going with the Zone 3" but I dont like the idea of a Tcase drop so I was going to go with a MML instead. And thats like $600. Then I was like, well if I buy the whole kit Ill just be buying a bunch of stuff I dont need, and was thinking I could save a few bucks. But I cant find the zone 3" coils sold separately either. Ive heard the RC springs arnt bad but your right I guess I should consider spring rate.

My thought process was to keep it around 2" so it would be a little cheaper and I could avoid vibes. Ill do a MML if I have to but

Could anyone give me a model number on the OME 2" Springs? Cant seem to find them anywhere, there site only lists stuff for JKs.
#donthatethechrome
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
OmniscientHiers
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You could run 2.5" without an MML most likely.
Call DPG Offroad and they'll set you up. I think Rick is the guy you want to talk to.
OmniscientHiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2.5" of lift on a TJ you will have to drop the TC or MML , possibly MML and a slight TC drop. I installed a set of RC 2.5 springs for my nephew and it came with TC drop. Unless naturally you go the correct route SYE and DS
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
mrott
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think I only saw one reference to it... but if you're root concern here is that you feel the front is sagging a bit due to the winch weight, why not just add some 3/4" coil spacers to the front? Plenty cheap and will raise the front just a bit to level it out a bit.

Of course another route, if you're running steel cable would be to upgrade to a synthetic line but that's not nearly as cheap of an option.

I also just installed the zone 4.25" combination lift maybe 2 weeks ago now. (1.25" BL, 1" MML, 3" suspension) I did also add coil spacers in the front and a savvy adj. front track bar, but it is a really nice riding lift. It's definitely an upgrade from the stock suspension.
mrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would highly recommend 2" BDS springs. I have just over 2.5" of increased height with them. Sounds like they would work almost perfect for you.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
kevlarr
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have 3" BDS springs I am selling for $150 plus shipping from Ca.
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
electrolime
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
2.5" of lift on a TJ you will have to drop the TC or MML , possibly MML and a slight TC drop. I installed a set of RC 2.5 springs for my nephew and it came with TC drop. Unless naturally you go the correct route SYE and DS
Gary,

You have a tj rubicon and 3" BDS, did you Tcase drop or MML? Or do you have a CV driveshaft?

I know all jeeps are different but I'm curious because we're running similar setups
#donthatethechrome
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
electrolime
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Was just looking at BDS coils and they seem to be reasonably priced. Didn't realize. Instead of $600 on a zone lift I could get BDS coils and Blisten 5100s
#donthatethechrome
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I tried a MML first but still had some slight vibes added a few washers to lower the TC, no better and beginning to defeat the purpose of lifting . I then swapped the MML for a Tom Woods drive shaft, Savvy control arms and a new angled track bar bracket for the axle end of the TB. I also have an automatic trans and a Dana 44 rear so I have the shortest DS which is the most likely configuration to have vibes . All is well now but at a price.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.