Yellowbox install 2004 Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yellowbox install 2004 Rubicon

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yellowbox install 2004 Rubicon

I went from the original 245/75 16 tires to 285/75 16 when I put on my RE 7000-3 (That's the 4.5 inch lift with adjustable upper front and rear control arms and adjustable front track bar, but it comes with the 3.5" springs instead of the 4.5" springs) and the speedometer was off after that tire change of course. When I did a similar tire/gearing change on my 93 YJ it was just a matter of changing the drive gear for the speedo. On the 04 Rubicon the speedometer is a 3 wire Hall effect electronic speedometer via the sensor, and you have to be able to convert the signal electronically. There are a variety of options available, I explored a few of them and decided the Yellowbox converter was what I was going to use. The vendor for this is a forum member (Skinny pedal) and communicated with me promptly with my inquiries, gave me a Jeep Forum discount, and shipped to me USPS priority instead of this usual shipping option--USPS is the cheapest way to get most items shipped out to the Islands.

I wanted to do a clean install, and Josh recommended putting it behind the glovebox, and cutting into the sensor wire just before it gets to the computer, which happens to be just behind the glovebox on the firewall side, behind the battery. I'm going to run you thru my install, following the ample instructions and initial advice from the vendor.
This is just the way I did it, it isn't necessarily the "approved solution," and I'm not claiming any special expertise. You have to make your own choices and take your own risks. I am not representing the vendor here, nor advertising the product. Accept that this is just a photo writeup of my experience.

I started out by pulling out the glovebox for a peek behind it to see what was in the way. If you slide the nylon keeper strap out of its slot, the glovebox will drop down and you can lift it off its hinges.

I went over to the engine side, disconnected and removed my battery, then took off the 3 screws holding the computer to the firewall. The sensor wire comes thru the loom into the middle connector going into the computer, position 27. It is a white with orange stripe wire at this point.

This is where I drilled thru the firewall to run the Yellowbox wire loom. I recommend you use a step drill, it won't grab and send the bit suddenly to the hilt thru expensive things you didn't want holes in, like the A/C evaporator in the heater/AC box......

You'll notice in the photo above, there is a yellow dot, well to the right of where I drilled thru. I want to share my mistakes as well, and the yellow dot is really where I should have drilled my hole. There is nothing behind there, and is a better location. Where I drilled, there is 1" clearance and then the heater box. I carefully selected an open/clear spot by looking thru the opening where the glove box was, then I went over to the engine side and drilled in precisely the wrong place.......I did make a small pilot hole first, then poked a small piece of stiff wire in there and measured the clearance, I had an inch, so just went ahead and worked with that. Key item to notice though, is drill your hole where I made the yellow dot, "after the fact."

There are 4 wires to the Yellowbox, the red is power into the box, it will accept 5V like at the level of the sensor loom on top of the transfer case, but it was recommended that the Jeep computer liked it better if you use a 12V switched power source. The black wire is the ground, and the other 2 wires are for the sensor signal, white and gray. The white one is the signal into the Yellowbox from your speed sensor, and the gray wire is the altered signal out of the yellowbox.

I painted the exposed metal edges of the hole I drilled, inserted a grommet, then pulled the loom thru from the passenger cabin side using another piece of wire as a "fish tape."

After putting the computer back in place, I cut into the sensor wire just before the connector plug going into the computer. You should solder your connections, I used heat shrink tubing to cover the connections and then re-wrapped the loom with electrical tape.

You'll notice that you only see 2 wires coming out of the loom, I pulled the red and black out of the loom since those connections are going to be made inside the passenger compartment, behind the glovebox.

Here is the connector for the Yellowbox, behind the glovebox. I hadn't pulled the black/red wires from the loom yet. You can see the fuse box, which is a handy place to get your 12V switched power from, and there was already a ground wire from the aftermkt stereo unit installed in a convenient location for me to use as well top right of the fuse box (and it even said ground on it!! Wow.)

I took the fuse box off the firewall, and used fuse position 10 which is power to the instrument panel. This is a 12V switched source. The red wire coming diagonally across the photo from the right, power in for the Yellowbox, is soldered into exposed wire cut into the blue with white stripe wire going to the instrument panel. I wrapped this with electrical tape afterwards, and reinstalled the fusebox.

After joining the ground (black) wire from the yellowbox into the ground point, I reinstalled the battery to demonstrate switched power.

Ignition off:

Ignition on:

If you want to drive your Jeep and still have the speedometer work to verify your percentage correction, you can install the jumper as shown, this just bridges between the gray and white wires and makes the system essentially as it was originally.

You can then install the Yellowbox and start making your corrections based on the instructions. It tells you which switches to throw for percent correction, and whether or not your speedo reads faster or slower than actual ground speed. I haven't set any correction into it at this point.

Make sure you tape up your loom again, you can see the new loom running down and back into the firewall.

I'm up to the limit on photos/post so will add more, edit, etc shortly.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

More to the story--You could tie into the wire loom under the Jeep, this is the speed sensor loom coming out of the rear of the transfer case. Three wires, black, orange, and tan. Tan is sensor signal, orange is power 5V and black is ground. I have seen effective installations here, and everything is reachable and in sight, but despite the Yellowbox claiming waterproof, I just seem to like it up out of the water and trail salsa.

At the first connector, the colors change.....poor photo, but I just could not get the camera to focus on this for anything. It had a mind of its own. You can see the sensor wire has changed to the orange with white stripe (sorta see....) If I ever get a better photo, I'll edit it in. [EDITED in new photo 3/27/2011]

As I get the Yellowbox dialed in, I'll add more information. As I can tell based on Garmin comparison to my speedometer, I am off by 4%, and the speedometer reads lower than actual speed. I know that is not off by much, but I would like it to be accurate.
The instructions mention techniques to determine your percentage off, I can't imagine a timer and mile markers and trying to keep a steady 60MPH speed for about 5 miles or so.....I recommend comparison with a Garmin or similar system.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
TreyMR2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely interested to see how this turns out. I have the exact same set up, 285/75/16, I paced another car and figured mine to be right about 5mph off. Even though its not much it would just be so much nicer to have it all be accurate.
TreyMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

5 mph off at what speed? It will be a percentage off, not an absolute number. Test at 30mph, 40mph, 50mph, 60mph etc and figure out a percentage "off." I ran out of weekend, so haven't been able to fully test the thing out. Good news is that I didn't seem to blow anything up, and my teenager will be able to drive the Rube (he stole it from me) to school etc tomorrow.

Skinnypedal--when you see this, you are welcome to put in any comments, constructive criticism, or scathing remarks if you prefer. If you see something you'd rather have me edit, please feel free to PM me and I'll get in touch. You do have my email address, but I check for PMs as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
TreyMR2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

5 off at 55mph. The speedo says 55 but I'm actually going 60
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

So that's fairly significant. Your speedometer is reading faster than your actual ground speed, and you're close to 10% off just off the top of my head. You should try verifying at several other speeds to establish a uniform percentage. I really do recommend the Garmin technique, it seems a way more reliable method of establishing actual ground speed so you can make accurate adjustments.

I'll let everyone know how things turn out as I get into the calibration mode.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
SkinnyPedal

I think you did a great job!!

Thanks for installing behind the glove box and cutting next to the computer. In my mind that is the cleanest way to install.

The reason I ask people to use a 12v source is because some of the jeep computers freak out from time to time with the extra load on the 5v circuit. I have had some work great and some that the speedo will stop working until you cycle the ignition.

Again, great job and thanks for posting!

[URL="http://skinnypedal.net"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]
SkinnyPedal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
TreyMR2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is actually the other way around, my speedo is reading slower than my ground speed.
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyMR2 View Post
Mine is actually the other way around, my speedo is reading slower than my ground speed.

No worries, this particular device will correct plus or minus so to speak.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great write up. i need to do this Mod. ASAP.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Updating on the dial in of speedometer correction. I strongly recommend using a Garmin or equivalent device which gives you your accurate ground speed. The instructions which come with the Yellowbox show you how to set the switches for correcting your speed either UP or DOWN based on your percentage error. It would take a few pages to demonstrate this, but honestly, this is the simplest part of the procedure. Follow the provided instruction sheets as they are detailed. More to follow, I did want to let everyone know I updated the fuzzy photos to clear images with a new camera.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Excellent write-up. How much was the yellowbox from Skinnypedal?
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
Excellent write-up. How much was the yellowbox from Skinnypedal?
Click on his link in post#7, $110.00
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPedal View Post
I think you did a great job!!

Thanks for installing behind the glove box and cutting next to the computer. In my mind that is the cleanest way to install........
That is how I ran mine. You have to be careful on the colors and which wire bundle you tap into near the ECM. I saw a write up where the required wires were located in the bundle closest to the passenger side. I located mine (an '03) in the middle bundle. It varies from year to year.
Great write up! I think that you will be quite happy with the set up!

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

great write up thanks so much it today.....
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.