Yeah I'd like one TJ Please...OFF the rocks. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yeah I'd like one TJ Please...OFF the rocks.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I'd like one TJ Please...OFF the rocks.

We don't get many rocks here in FL, if we do they're usually man-made cement slabs. Well today I was down at the beach by Fort Desoto (Americas #1 beach) and came across these rocks. They were put there on purpose (I'm guessing) to stop erosion of the soil which held up the road. They ranged from the size of cell phones to the size of 35" boggers. I decided to take my stock (connected) TJ out there and see what I could really do!

Well, I have NO skids, except the stock one. I've got 28" A/T tires (the worst ones you can possibly buy) and a 4 banger (4lo though, so it didnt really matter)

Horrible horrible horrible. Especially with no skill, I managed to perch her right up on a rock....with my differential. I got lucky, no damage, and a couple of moved rocks and a bottle jack got me right off it. (Just put rocks under the tires to get it up higher.

And boy, when that draw bridge went up and I was out there with my friend moving rocks and twisting that bottle jack in front of all those people lined up in cars, I'm SO glad everyone on here told me NOT to get a hi-lift. Man, those things are dangerous and they're useless.

After we bottled 'er up I put the rocks under the front tires to give me height and I just backed off.

I guess I got lucky.

I have a cheesy cell phone vid I think you need real player but it definitely shows me being an idiot. You can hear it grind if you listen closely.

http://media.putfile.com/haha-82

Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not really sure about what a draw bridge and people lined up watching you makes a high-lift jack useless and dangerous...
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
I FLEX

Huhh...???

I would think a High-Lift would be quicker and easier. Most people will jack up on the bumpers or side of the tub on their rockers and while lifted start to drive sliding off the lift and getting past the obstacle. Plus if you have a tow strap or heavy duty tow chains you could use your High-lift as a hand winch, and yank yourself off a rock or two.
RE.BB with RE3.5 shocks | Anti-Rock
My Jeep (they are some what updated)

Best Vendor, great prices!!!
I FLEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

Dangerous, yes. Useless, no. BTW, I was wondering why you drove straight into that rock with your differential?
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
2000yellowtj

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FLEX
Huhh...???

I would think a High-Lift would be quicker and easier. Most people will jack up on the bumpers or side of the tub on their rockers and while lifted start to drive sliding off the lift and getting past the obstacle. Plus if you have a tow strap or heavy duty tow chains you could use your High-lift as a hand winch, and yank yourself off a rock or two.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...
Unread 04-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah guys, the "rolleyes" emoticon symbolizes that I'm "rolling my eyes" at that particular idea.

A High-lift would've had me off that rock in a minute, as opposed to 15 minutes playing legos with beach boulders, yet you never ever see any of the "older" guys tell you to get one. "You don't need one, false sense of security, dangerous, blah blah" two of which might be true, but a winch wouldn't have helped me at all in that situation and if there weren't any smalller rocks to help me then I would've been SOL without a high lift.

I'm ordering one as we speak. (Hopefully it will take less than the 3 weeks it's taken my TKH fab bumper to get here....are they made to order?)
Unread 04-25-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo
Dangerous, yes. Useless, no. BTW, I was wondering why you drove straight into that rock with your differential?
I have no experience with rocks. None. There simply aren't any around here. I figure they were small, I was in 4lo, and I was going slow. How hard could it be?

Well, the rocks were wet, so was the sand, and I didn't have the most important thing of all......a spotter. Just some giggling guy behind a camera.
Unread 04-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
phydeaux
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My 1st Jeep was a 1960 Willys Jeep pick-up. It was previously owned by an old Gulf station so it had all the old snowplow brackets on it. I left them on for just such an occasion. (PA mountains are crawling with big ol' goonies.) It was a killer on ground clearance, but that lower bracket in front saved my diff a thousand times. Fun stuff.
Empty
Every
Pocket
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

I guess I shouldn't flame you, I live in Arizona. There are rocks everywhere. Next time just keep your tires on the biggest rocks, that way you have the most distance between you and the ground.
Unread 04-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

hi-lifts arnt bad if used right

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #11
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Had you taken a different line, you would have been fine. The idea is to go over the larger rocks with your tires so you don't whack anything underneath while trying to stradle it.

The Jeep could have handled it. But you said you have never done rocks, so inexperience was probably the main issue here. Don't beat yourself up. I've heard of people in Jeeps getting stuck in wet grass with bald tires.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2006, 08:18 AM   #12
fisher836
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lesson learned. Guarantee you'll try it again. I know I would.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.