XJ guy with rubi axle questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > XJ guy with rubi axle questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Reply
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Vassago
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 2,387
XJ guy with rubi axle questions

hey guys! hoping someone can chime in here

i have a pair of tj rubi axles goign under my xj, i have the air lockers, but no air pump! what do i need to get these working? options? what psi do the lockers need to function?

also, the rear axle has no brakes, at all, anyone knwo where i can find part numbers? or what other brake fit this axle?

thanks in advance!

__________________
"He almost broke the land speed record in 1977, popular opinion amongst his team was that his beard caused to much wind resistance. He would have shaved it… No, no he wouldn’t have."

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
RubiconRazorbac
Registered User
 
RubiconRazorbac's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 3,461
Lockers run at about 5psi.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
meatlord
Animals taste good
 
meatlord's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Iowa
Posts: 973
Run your own air supply and regulate it to 5 PSI like said above and you will have no problems. I am swapping my 05 rubi axles into my XJ as well. When I finish my axle build for my tj, I will start on this project. I already installed an ARB compressor into the XJ in preparation for this, and to air up tires. I will just make a manifold and put a regulator on it for lockers themselves. Good luck.
__________________
05 Rubicon "Big Stupid" / 99 XJ on 31s "Nurple" FOR SALE. / 07 WK Limited CRD GDE Hot Tuned DPF delete. / 00 TJ "One Shot Wonder"/ 03 Nissan SE-R 6 speed V spec. / 00 Suzuki DR650.
meatlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Vassago
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Lockers run at about 5psi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
Run your own air supply and regulate it to 5 PSI like said above and you will have no problems. I am swapping my 05 rubi axles into my XJ as well. When I finish my axle build for my tj, I will start on this project. I already installed an ARB compressor into the XJ in preparation for this, and to air up tires. I will just make a manifold and put a regulator on it for lockers themselves. Good luck.
thanks you both! lots of help. @meatlord, do you just have a pressure regulator hooked up? i would like to have one air source for both the lockers and for tools and such, could i run a compressor to a tank, then regulate 5psi out of the tank to the lockers and control the on/off with solenoids?
__________________
"He almost broke the land speed record in 1977, popular opinion amongst his team was that his beard caused to much wind resistance. He would have shaved it… No, no he wouldn’t have."

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Greenfun2
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Watseka, Illinois
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago
also, the rear axle has no brakes, at all, anyone knwo where i can find part numbers? or what other brake fit this axle?
You should be able to get calipers, pads, rotors, lines, and parking brake stuff at any auto parts place. All Rubicon's had rear disk brakes with the drum parking brake inside.
Greenfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
meatlord
Animals taste good
 
meatlord's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Iowa
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
thanks you both! lots of help. @meatlord, do you just have a pressure regulator hooked up? i would like to have one air source for both the lockers and for tools and such, could i run a compressor to a tank, then regulate 5psi out of the tank to the lockers and control the on/off with solenoids?
I run full pressure to my source now(@110 PSI). Just add your regulator between your source, or tank, and your lockers. I have a set of pumps I will be removing from my rubicon when I swap axles, but honestly just use a better source and a regulator.
__________________
05 Rubicon "Big Stupid" / 99 XJ on 31s "Nurple" FOR SALE. / 07 WK Limited CRD GDE Hot Tuned DPF delete. / 00 TJ "One Shot Wonder"/ 03 Nissan SE-R 6 speed V spec. / 00 Suzuki DR650.
meatlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Vassago
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfun2 View Post
You should be able to get calipers, pads, rotors, lines, and parking brake stuff at any auto parts place. All Rubicon's had rear disk brakes with the drum parking brake inside.
i need the caliper mounts and all that too, drum parking brake eh? hmm any other options? i want to do away with drums altogether. jersey sand gets into everything! do you know if the 44 housing is just like any other?
__________________
"He almost broke the land speed record in 1977, popular opinion amongst his team was that his beard caused to much wind resistance. He would have shaved it… No, no he wouldn’t have."

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
JeepComanche89
Registered User
1989 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,516
Hey, if the caliper mounts are the same as a grand, i may be able to help you. I bought them used over a year ago to use on my MJ 44, but they were the wrong ones. However if I recall correctly they work for a TJ 44. I have the caliper mounts/backing plate (whatever you want to call it) and the retaining plates needed to convert from drum.
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Vassago
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 View Post
Hey, if the caliper mounts are the same as a grand, i may be able to help you. I bought them used over a year ago to use on my MJ 44, but they were the wrong ones. However if I recall correctly they work for a TJ 44. I have the caliper mounts/backing plate (whatever you want to call it) and the retaining plates needed to convert from drum.
shoot me a pm we'll talk numbers
__________________
"He almost broke the land speed record in 1977, popular opinion amongst his team was that his beard caused to much wind resistance. He would have shaved it… No, no he wouldn’t have."

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
JeepComanche89
Registered User
1989 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
shoot me a pm we'll talk numbers
Im on it
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler
 
freeskier93's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 6,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
i need the caliper mounts and all that too, drum parking brake eh? hmm any other options? i want to do away with drums altogether. jersey sand gets into everything! do you know if the 44 housing is just like any other?
The "drums" are just small brake shoes that use the inside of the rotor hat for the parking brake. There is no other option.
__________________
Build Thread
My life in 2010: Chronicles of painting my Jeep
Axle Re Gear and Swap

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
Vassago
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
The "drums" are just small brake shoes that use the inside of the rotor hat for the parking brake. There is no other option.
yea i figured that out thanks, i see you're from longmont, i'm looked into moving to that spring 2014, how is it?
__________________
"He almost broke the land speed record in 1977, popular opinion amongst his team was that his beard caused to much wind resistance. He would have shaved it… No, no he wouldn’t have."

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
freeskier93
Web Wheeler
 
freeskier93's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 6,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
yea i figured that out thanks, i see you're from longmont, i'm looked into moving to that spring 2014, how is it?
Technically I'm living on campus in Boulder, but that's only for this year. We originally moved to Longmont in 1999 (IIRC). Longmont is great because it's cheaper than Boulder but still close to Denver/Boulder. Your close to the mountains (the nearest wheeling is less than 45 minutes into the foothills). Rocky Mountain Nation Park is less than an hour away, nearest ski resort (Eldora) is about 45 min away. There's plenty to do, great views, great neighborhoods. We live in West Longmont in a typical "suburban" neighborhood. A little further West (actually in the town of Hygiene) you'll find more "agriculture" (basically nice houses with lots of land).

I would definitely consider Logmont or really any other town between Longmont and Fort Collins. Boulder is nice but it's a typical college town that is extremely expensive to live in.
__________________
Build Thread
My life in 2010: Chronicles of painting my Jeep
Axle Re Gear and Swap

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.