XJ front shaft for TJ rear shaft. Couple ?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > XJ front shaft for TJ rear shaft. Couple ?'s

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

XJ front shaft for TJ rear shaft. Couple ?'s

I'm getting ready to do an SYE soon and am planning on using the XJ front drive shaft to cut down and use as my CV rear drive shaft but have a couple questions. I tried searching around but couldn't find an answer. What year XJ's do I look for? I did find that an automatic shaft is the better option but am also curious, for those that have used that drive shaft, on what lengths they had them cut down to. I should be at almost 4" of total lift and we'll say a TT at some point too.

Thanks in advance!

TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

it doesnt matter what year... they are going to cut a lot off. I have the Tear SS and and 8.8 and my with a tummy tuck and 2.5" lift and my xj front shaft was cut down to 23"

most xj front drive shafts only vary a couple inches and are similar in length to your tj front shaft so just get what ever is available... what is better about the auto ds?

when i did mine i took it to a local ds shop on a friday, did the swap on a sat, called and left a message with the correct length and it was ready monday afternoon... i would suggest putting in new joints and a new cv ball before you take it to them. total cost for cut and balance was 80 bucks...

most likely you will be fine with the same ds for the tummy tuck. we build a lot local and no one has ever had to buy a new one bc of length...
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can also use the front shaft out of a Ford Explorer. They just happened to be more plentiful when I did mine.
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
You can also use the front shaft out of a Ford Explorer. They just happened to be more plentiful when I did mine.
Any idea on years for the Explorer shafts?

The only thing I've read that stated auto Cherokee driveshafts were a better choice was because of the length. Apparently, they're slightly longer to give you more to work with but if you're having it cut down it doesn't really make sense to me.
TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure, I just made sure it had 1310 u-joints and they were in ok shape. They are so much longer that you don't have to worry about it.

Unread 12-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Nelg7654
1997 XJ Cherokee 

now can a XJ front shaft be used as TJ front shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGJB View Post
well the most definite water proofing for your seats is to put the doors back on.
Nelg7654 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.