Wrong Spring Size. Now What? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrong Spring Size. Now What?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineParacord grab handles, door limiting, etc at JeepHut.comRough Country Deals at JeepHut.com

Unread 02-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wrong Spring Size. Now What?

I have what theoretically (from PO) is a 4.5 in lifted TJ with an 8.8 in the rear. It still had stock bump stops so I broke and shock mount. I checked out and measure the springs, the shocks, the tuck and droop... all the good stuff while under there.

Based on this table I had 4.5" lift springs in the front, but only 2.5" in the rear. I figured they had just sagged from age. Also, they unseat at full droop (with shocks on). I assume then I'm not getting full "usable articulation." So I should replace them.

I bought a set of RE 4.5" lift springs. Now at ride height, my rear is almost 4" higher than front. Are the spring mounts on the 8.8 really several inches higher than the stock D35? (any volunteers with stock #'s would be appreciated.)

Now what?
1) I can't get any more articulation without longer shocks, right? I guess I can add more bump stop, I've already got 3.5" of BS extensions. I think I would have to get bigger front springs, shocks, and bump stops to match. I have CV drive shafts. Will I need to get new control arms? Would it just be shorter lower ones? When do I have to worry about drooping until my drive shaft separates? That's a fair amount of effort to lose some up travel to get a little more down for 35" tires. My front axle that won't handle 37" tires. Would I be wasting money building in the wrong area with this plan?

2) How do I get springs that roughly keep the same ride height, but not unseat the springs. At least the bump stops keep them from popping out. With the 8.8, clearly the standard table doesn't apply, so I'd need to measure something myself and make some phone calls, but what?

3) I could put my old springs in and say F-it, go back, and sell the new springs. PM me if you are interested in them.

Last edited by vinsanity; 02-13-2015 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Updating title after changing question.
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What does the upper spring perch in the rear look like? Does it look factory? if someone has "leveled out" the spring perch to make the spring compress straight up and down, that may account for the extra few inches. With a standard spring lift, the rear does/should be higher than the front. Not 4 inches higher, maybe an inch or two? The extra few inches may be coming from the upper spring perch. Can you takea photo of it, if you aren't sure if it's stock or not?
Unread 02-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
What does the upper spring perch in the rear look like? Does it look factory? if someone has "leveled out" the spring perch
I can take a picture when I get home, but it is not level. It's tilted a reasonable amount lower in the front than the back.

(If anyone knows how to change the title of the thread, PM me. This is twice I've changed the exact question resulting in a bad title)
Unread 02-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds like it's the factory location, so that's not the problem. Have you talked with RE on the phone or via email? They may be able to tell you how much height difference front to rear you should expect.

4" sounds like alot to me, but it MAY be correct for the RE springs. Or maybe they sent you some LJ springs instead, if the LJ springs are taller in the rear than TJ springs (I don't know, just guessing)

Do you have a spare tire on the back? Do you have a winch up front? hard top on? Heavy Armor anywhere? What else is on the jeep, or missing from the jeep? If you've got a heavy front bumper, and no spare tire or rear seat or top on the jeep, that could very well make it rake forward a good bit.
Unread 02-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 rear axle has 3/4" larger diameter axle tubes than a D35 (3.25" vs 2.5"). You'll get 3/8" taller ride height right there.

You could be seeing more increase in ride height depending on what spring perches were used when the 8.8 was swapped in.

Was the rear noticeably lower than the front with the old springs? Or were the old springs giving you the ride height you wanted?

I changed your thread title to what I think you wanted it to be. Only mods can change thread titles.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I called RE as suggested. They are friendly and shockingly eager to help!

While taking pictures for them I noticed that my high fenders are not actually the same height and that's where I measured from. Gave the illusion that the Jeep was much more off level than it is. That accounted for 2ish of my 4ish original measurements. I estimate 2 inches front to rear is left. The front shocks probably sag an inch or so given how bad the rear were (2.5" sag on load). Add to winch and bumper weight and now you are in the noise. Just for ascetics I'm considering putting a couple of 1-1.5" of RE's BB pucks in the front to level it back out with the back.
Unread 02-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

hm.... post a photo maybe?

Yea, you definitely don't want ot measure to a fender flare the flare may have been trimmed, or something like that. I'd look at the angle of the body versus the angle of the ground. If there's a slight rake forward, it's probably fine.
Unread 02-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If it makes any difference, the rear wheel wells have not been cut. Haven't gotten around to it because I don't need the clearance.

What does concern me is that I took a peek at my drive shaft and my pinion is 7 degrees (TC side steeper than diff side). With a CV drive shaft is that too far off from straight? I don't get any vibrations though. Is it worth replacing the control arms to fix it? Urgent?
truck.jpg  
Unread 02-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A driveshaft with the DC joint at the transfer case end, upper and lower adjustable control arms would allow you to remove the transfer case drop and have more clearance under your frame...
Unread 02-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity View Post
If it makes any difference, the rear wheel wells have not been cut. Haven't gotten around to it because I don't need the clearance.

What does concern me is that I took a peek at my drive shaft and my pinion is 7 degrees (TC side steeper than diff side). With a CV drive shaft is that too far off from straight? I don't get any vibrations though. Is it worth replacing the control arms to fix it? Urgent?
From the looks, I'd say if you put a 2" spacer up front, you'll be sitting fairly level.
Unread 02-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #11
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
A driveshaft with the DC joint at the transfer case end, upper and lower adjustable control arms would allow you to remove the transfer case drop and have more clearance under your frame...
Would I need to replace both upper and lower arms? I already have adjustable front lowers.

At what point does the angle at the CV joint itself become a limiting factor.
Unread 02-14-2015, 11:53 PM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Would I need to replace both upper and lower arms? I already have adjustable front lowers.

At what point does the angle at the CV joint itself become a limiting factor.
You're already at it. Do you have an SYE (slip yoke eliminator) on the rear of your transfer case?...
Unread 02-15-2015, 03:05 AM   #13
vinsanity
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
You're already at it. Do you have an SYE (slip yoke eliminator) on the rear of your transfer case?...
Soooo, are you recommending that I consider lifting the transfer case or against it? I do have a SYE.
Unread 02-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #14
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would not lift the front more than what the re 4.5 springs offer.
U dont want 5 to 6 inches of lift in front, or at least most people dont.
Lower the rear an inch or two to level it.

We always suggest raising the tcase if u can.

I would run the new 4.5" springs in the front.
Shocks around 11 to 12 inches stock mounts.
Bumpstops between 2 and 3 inches.
Should get u in the ball park.

Rear I would b looking for a bds or zone 3" spring.
10 inch shocks. With slightly altered mounts.
about 2" Of bumpstop.

These are ball park measurements!
Measure to be sure!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Soooo, are you recommending that I consider lifting the transfer case or against it? I do have a SYE.
Recommending...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.