Wrong Rotor Size Fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrong Rotor Size Fix?

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
efr523

Wrong Rotor Size Fix?

I have a 2001 tj sport and I just ordered some new rotors to do a brake job. I found out about the rotor size change a little late and ended up getting the rotors that are 1/8" deeper than i need. I was thinking about taking my cutting torch and cutting the middle out of my old rotors to make essentially about a 1/4" spacer and putting them on the inside of the new rotors to fill up the extra space so the wheel wont seize up. I got a really good deal on some drilled and slotted rotors and don't want to go through the hassle of returning them and ordering new ones. Can anyone see anything potentially harmful by doing this?

efr523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What, other than dying? Nope, go for it.

No **** with the brakes to save on returning the wrong parts dude, you could break studs and kill someone.

Hey, swap in the matching unit bearings!!!

Seriously... send back the wrong, get the right. It's not JUST the depth, the other concern is real. Also, spacing like that will likely cause the calipers to hit on the other side.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.

Last edited by rustywrangler; 09-12-2009 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Language problem, this is your warning.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Return them and drilled rotors don't help on Jeeps.
Unread 09-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a thought, return them and buy decent blanks. Interestingly enough, Autostoned blanks (Duralast 'brand') are pretty good ones.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You people are interfering with Darwins work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efr523 View Post
I have a 2001 tj sport and I just ordered some new rotors to do a brake job. I found out about the rotor size change a little late and ended up getting the rotors that are 1/8" deeper than i need. I was thinking about taking my cutting torch and cutting the middle out of my old rotors to make essentially about a 1/4" spacer and putting them on the inside of the new rotors to fill up the extra space so the wheel wont seize up. I got a really good deal on some drilled and slotted rotors and don't want to go through the hassle of returning them and ordering new ones. Can anyone see anything potentially harmful by doing this?
As greatly as you need a severe amount of abuse for considering such a bad idea, there is a very real problem that you will encounter. It's critical to the function of the brake system that your rotor register perfectly on the pilot that sticks out of the unitbearing. If you examine that pilot carefully, you will find there are two different diameters to it with the larger one next to the flange for the rotor and just outside of that, another diameter for the OEM wheel to register on.

If you space the rotor outwards, it won't register correctly and can cause some issues you may not enjoy.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, but how long did you power through the grinding before you figured it out?
Unread 09-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
efr523

to satisfy your curiosity 0 seconds i have not done this
efr523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efr523 View Post
to satisfy your curiosity 0 seconds i have not done this
Well, if you haven't run the rotors, take them back and swap them for the correct versions.
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had this same problem today, but I did not think about grinding anything and I called autozone and advance and they weren't picking up each others' part numbers, but both of them had rotors that would rub on the backing plate. They were sure that I had a freak jeep, or "maybe they used parts from the next model year"
but 97 and 99 jeeps had the same part number in their system. This month has been a 100% you get what you pay for kinda month.
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ive got some cross drilled brake lines if you need em. ha
funshootin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.