Write-up to Repair multifunction switch for fog lights. Fog lights won’t shut off. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Zrspees1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Write-up to Repair multifunction switch for fog lights. Fog lights won’t shut off.

My 2003 Jeep Wrangler started magically turning on the fog lights while I had it parked. This issue kept getting worse until I could not get the lights to stay off without touching the switch. At first I was able to put my left turn signal on and this was just a temporary fix. I went to the dealer and they told me the switch would cost me $260 this is why I wanted to fix the existing switch. I want to keep my jeep nice and running another switch somewhere else would just bug me.

This write up includes removing the switch from the steering column.
Tools Needed
T20
T10
Philips
Small flat head
JB-weld Quick

First you need to remove the steering the column plastic cover there are two screws in the holes closest to the steering wheel. Phillips

Now you can remove the two T20 screws on top of the multifunction switch. There are two harness plugs going into this switch which both have a red tab that need to be pulled out (but not completely) in order to be unplugged.

Now the entire switch assembly can be removed.

Next you need to remove the relay, two T10 screws, and the wire plug which has two black wires on it.

Now you need to carefully used a small flat head work your way around the piece being careful not to break any plastic.

Once this is done your switch is exposed and you should be able to see your problem.

A closer look will show you this.

Under the cover you can see what all is happening and why your fog lights will not say off. The white plastic piece has worn down and can no longer lift the metal piece far enough to stop the circuit.

If this seems to be your problem then your fix will be easy. Next you need to remove one more T10 screw. This will now lift out easily but before you do this remove all the pieces on top that are not secured down.

Now you will see the the lifter completely exposed. Pull it up and lightly press it down so you can remove it. I had to slide mine to the left.

Now you are ready to put some JB Weld on the part to build it up to its original length. (I used JB quick Weld but either will work) Before this step you might want to clean the part to ensure the glue will stick. I used side cuts to clean the part up from where it had actually smashed/melted down.

[B]After the glue has dried you can now put it all back together and test it out.

This issue is more than just a worn down part, the grease has more than likely been contaminated and is causing the switch itself to short out. If you look carefully at the switch you will notice the part seems to have melted.

I recommend cleaning all the grease off the switch and applying new electrical grease. If you look at the harness and it seems to be brittle and cracking then this issue will become more of a problem if it you ignore this fact.

The cause of this is a short. I believe the part was worn down but at the same time it had literally melted.

The only other cause I can think of is as the switch wears down it allows the connection to repeatedly make contact off and on very quickly this causes the plastic to melt down to the point where it no longer can push the spring loaded tab up far enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome. Nice first post. I did a similar sort of write up for non cancelling 97-99 turn signal switches. If I had a later model with the fog light problem I expect have been doing a similar repair to it. Looks like the contacts are oxidised so the resistance that caused the heat might still lead to problems in the future.
post #3 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
greg_kulosa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fantastic write-up! I have this problem on my Jeep too. Even the $100 for the replacement from AutoZone was too much for me to stomach, so I just pulled the relay under the hood so the fogs can't turn on.

Now I have a cheaper way to fix it.

Thanks!

post #4 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 AM
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I did try repairing my MFS, but the repair only lasted six months. It at least gave me an opportunity to get one when I could, since new switches were nationally backordered at the time.

Additionally FWIW, Rock Auto lists a replacement switch for $44 if yours looks too far gone, like mine.
post #5 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I bought two switches for $75 and there's already a write up.
post #6 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM
TJeep_1999
2015 JK Wrangler 

Had this exact problem on my old 2003 TJ right down to turning on the left hand turn signal I ended up buying a new switch, but this seems like the cheaper option. Great write up!
post #7 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Zrspees1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I bought two switches for $75 and there's already a write up.
I looked for this write up and never found it. I found one for other mfs styles but not this one. Great deal on the switches. I hope this write up allows people to avoid spending the money on something they can fix instead. Sometimes its nice to actually fix stuff rather than simply replacing the part.
post #8 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrspees1 View Post
I looked for this write up and never found it. I found one for other mfs styles but not this one. Great deal on the switches. I hope this write up allows people to avoid spending the money on something they can fix instead. Sometimes its nice to actually fix stuff rather than simply replacing the part.
I have the same problem with search here, I have searched the "actual name of a thread" and not found it using search lol.

Its a great write up, thanks for the time and effort, and dont worry, some folks may just have a need to be negative good job.
post #9 of 36 Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM
chubbena
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks so much for the write up.
Just so you know I did it a little bit differently - instead of putting JB weld at the stick I put it at the back of the lifter where it meets the black plastic pusher.
post #10 of 36 Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Jmper227
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up your pictures saved my @$$ a couple times. first time putting the switch back together my left blinker was stuck on and would not cancel I took it back apart and had to turn around the plastic part with two contacts above the "lifter" so it would work properly.
post #11 of 36 Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 AM
marka2k
2006 WK 

I did the fix and it worked for six months or so then went back out, gave up and ordered replacement from Autozone for $56 with lifetime warranty.
post #12 of 36 Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 AM
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka2k View Post
I did the fix and it worked for six months or so then went back out, gave up and ordered replacement from Autozone for $56 with lifetime warranty.
How'd you get it that cheap? Is it just like OEM or is it all fugly?

2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"
post #13 of 36 Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Necko2529

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Unlimited View Post
It is just like an OEM peace and AutoZone has it for about $50.
Good luck

Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
post #14 of 36 Old 08-02-2012, 12:20 PM
marka2k
2006 WK 

Cant tell the difference between the OEM and Auto Zone replacement, still no issues since install.

$56 is the normal price ordered online and had it delivered in two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Unlimited View Post

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland

04 Rubicon

2000 Grand Cherokee

2006 Commander Limited - Wife's
post #15 of 36 Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 AM
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cool. I'm going to opt for replacement instead of repair since the replacement isn't expensive and is more reliable than a repair. My fogs are shorting out of course, the typical issue (relay is pulled for now).

2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"

Tags
fog lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.