write-up on Novak Shifter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > write-up on Novak Shifter

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 03-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
Dangle

write-up on Novak Shifter

Just curious if anyone has or knows where i can find a write up on the install of the novak transfer case shifter...my jeep is halfway apart, and I am a very visual person...I like pictures...thanks guys..

4.5 RE SF, 1" body, 1" MML, 35" MTR's,, SYE & Driveshaft, Dana 44 in the rear, 7" wheelbase stretch, multiple skids protecting front to back, Flat Fendered, O.R.O U-Turn, PSC P-Pump, Vanco Hydroboost, Aussie locker in front and some other bullsh#t
REDNECK JEEP CLUB MEMBER #227
FORTI ET FIDELI NIHIL DIFFICILE
Dangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Go to JU. There is a big thread on it. I posted pics how I did mine and there are also a few others. It works great.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ighlight=novak

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Dangle

thanks igofishn...i knew you had done it, I appreciate it...
4.5 RE SF, 1" body, 1" MML, 35" MTR's,, SYE & Driveshaft, Dana 44 in the rear, 7" wheelbase stretch, multiple skids protecting front to back, Flat Fendered, O.R.O U-Turn, PSC P-Pump, Vanco Hydroboost, Aussie locker in front and some other bullsh#t
Unread 03-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangle
thanks igofishn...i knew you had done it, I appreciate it...
just realize that those that butchered up their consoles didn't read the instructions, and have horrible install skills...

my local shop was the one originally organizing the group buy, but everybody went behind his back and ordered them direct, so it all fell through...

he's installed quite a few of these, had to do zero modifications to the console...JUST LIKE igofshn said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
I have mine working. No tub or console modifications required. It goe from 2hi, 4hi, n, 4lo, 2lo without any problem. If you look at my above post, I bent my bar in a reverse c . I have the bracket in the next to top hole and the second to the closest to the tcase. This thing is smooth.
the guy at Novak took a blistering on the phone by several of those morons...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Dangle

I can imagine...I couldnt figure out why anyone was cutting up their console, but then again, some people jump right in without testing the waters (if that applies)...One more question for when i got to bend the steel...would a regular torch work??is this going to get hot enough for me to bend the steel??thanks
Unread 03-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

You can use a propane torch but it will take a while to heat it up. I tried 3 or 4 different bends before I found one that would work for me. I worked on mine for a couple days trying every hole that was on the bracket. Look at the bend that Cameron posted. His is about the easiest and looks like it would work really easy. I have another bar that I will probably try to bend like that.

[Jeep Pics
Unread 03-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
runmanpkll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
just realize that those that butchered up their consoles didn't read the instructions, and have horrible install skills...

my local shop was the one originally organizing the group buy, but everybody went behind his back and ordered them direct, so it all fell through...

he's installed quite a few of these, had to do zero modifications to the console...JUST LIKE igofshn said here:

the guy at Novak took a blistering on the phone by several of those morons...

Greg
im one of those "morons" that cut up his console. i read the instructions word for word but i just couldnt figure out the puzzle and was under time constraints. i like the shifter as i installed it, i covered the hole, & dressed up the console which suits me fine. also i never called novak, to blister them or anything. i posted on JU that the install isnt as easy as one would think but i liked how it works & feels. one thing to consider is when you take the stock shifter out youre going to have a 4-5 inch diameter hole in your tunnel that youre going to have to cover as hot air blows up through the hole when driving, especially when the windows are down. someday when i get the urge i may bend it up a little more but its way down on the list of things to do. it works and im happy.
runmanpkll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2005, 12:38 AM   #8
Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
You can use a propane torch but it will take a while to heat it up. I tried 3 or 4 different bends before I found one that would work for me. I worked on mine for a couple days trying every hole that was on the bracket. Look at the bend that Cameron posted. His is about the easiest and looks like it would work really easy. I have another bar that I will probably try to bend like that.
thanks, im going to tackle that tomorrow morning...ill let you know how it turns out...
Unread 03-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #9
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by runmanpkll
im one of those "morons" .... also i never called novak, to blister them or anything.

re-read my post...you don't fall into the moron category cause you didn't call and blister them...but I will have to group you in the :just not the best install skills" category by default, if you did cut up your console...

although...it could just be lack of patience, which I completely understand...

I agree it's not a simple bolt-on...but it in no way called for some of the hack jobs I saw posted on JU, as several of the people have them installed perfectly...

glad you like the final results...I'll probably end up going with the kit soon, especially since they now offer the black knob...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
Dangle

HELP...im confused on what exactly the Z-linkage consists of???I need some good pics of what im to take out....HELP
Unread 03-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #11
Dangle

and does the inside monting bracket for the shifter thats on the inside of the tub under the console come out???please help soon...
Unread 03-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Everything that attaches to the tcase and tub comes out. I found it easier to remove the front driveshaft to give room to get to everything. I did not remove the skid.

[Jeep Pics
Unread 03-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #13
Dangle

thank you so much igofishn....but if the bracket on the inside of the tub comes out, then how do you remove the two bolts holding the bracket that guides the shifter???they just spin when i turn them....once agiain, thanks so much
Unread 03-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #14
Dangle

now next question...how on earth do you reach the top nut that connects the stock bracket to the transfer case...sorry for all the questions but your alot of help...thanks
Unread 03-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #15
runmanpkll

this is everything that needs to be removed.

runmanpkll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.