Wrap Around Windjammer? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrap Around Windjammer?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Poison Spyder from CCOR!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 08-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I like the wraparound myself, but it still dosn't fully seal the ****pit. It let in a little water around the door surrounds. I was thinking about trying to put some packer rod in there for a better seal. I really do like the set up, but the snaps are a little retarded. I crunched the with some vise grips to make them work. I think I'll be getting tose marine fasteners in the future.

Unread 08-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
VMI Jeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Crusher,

Here are the marine fasteners I was talking about. They are the "twist stud" style. West Marine has their own brand but they are a little bit more expensive. Either way, they are ten times better than the "snap" style.

HANDIMAN Twist Fast at West Marine
VMI Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
RubiGal04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

We love ours, except for one little thing... you can't push back your seat as far as you used to cause the "glass" butts right up to the back of the seats. I like my seat back pretty far and leaning back more instead of straight up, so other than getting used to that, we have no issues with it being pretty much waterproof (with the bikini top) and keeps the warm air in good in the winter and we just leave the doors off in the summer. We got ours from 4wd.
img_2307.jpg  

91 Cherokee Lmtd (FENCEROW) 5.5" RE Lift 33" Goodyears, Eaton E Lockers front/rear - revived after we found her in a fencerow
RubiGal04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #19
Vegas 4x4
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post

I'll see you in the desert and then we can decide who man's up more LOL.
Ummm...... Wendy?
Vegas 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #20
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I lodged a few complaints with Bestop the other day. I'm glad the cab is enclosed better than my old windjammer, however this wraparound jammer has a few issues.

First, there's no consideration for the roll bar straps of their tonneau (duster) cover. You basically have to cut slots in the new wrapjammer if want to tighten up the tonneau. The rollbar straps of the tonneau are rendered useless. Second, the snap strip across the back is too high, and even if you try to snap it to the tonneau, it's too high and tight and won't stay snapped. Another mod needed right out of the box.

One last observation, if you use the opening between the roll bar and old windjammer as a line of sight to traffic off your left side, that's gone. Not a design issue, but from a usability standpoint I miss the glance over my left shoulder.

Had I known the fit and function issues, I would not have purchased this. My guess is you'll see an updated version from Bestop fixing a few things....

Kentucky Krawlers

Last edited by Scott_98TJ; 08-31-2010 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher242 View Post
I like the wraparound myself, but it still dosn't fully seal the ****pit. It let in a little water around the door surrounds. I was thinking about trying to put some packer rod in there for a better seal. I really do like the set up, but the snaps are a little retarded. I crunched the with some vise grips to make them work. I think I'll be getting tose marine fasteners in the future.
Just tighten the velcro straps at the top that secure the door surround portion of the wraparound wj to the roll bar.

Also if you flip around your soundbar and attach this portion to the sound bar padding then you won't get any water in you cabin from that area. And your tunes will sound better!
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #22
BestopTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_98TJ View Post
I lodged a few complaints with Bestop the other day.
You did this here on JF, or you sent in a letter? I like the specific, actionable concerns, and always pass them along. (well, I don't "like" them, exactly. They're just better than "youz guyz suck.")
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:44 AM   #23
BestopTeam

Personally, I think the WrapAround windjammer is so much better, and so much different than the regular Windjammer that I wish we'd have gone with a whole new name.

The regular Windjammer is really just designed to cut down on turbulence. The WrapAround helps make a half cab. Bestop will never claim that a Windjammer/Bikini/Duster combo makes a real weather-tight cab. But I've heard good reports.

I also wouldn't argue with the points you folks made on the snaps. They are less than totally optimal.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #24
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffatBestop View Post
Personally, I think the WrapAround windjammer is so much better, and so much different than the regular Windjammer that I wish we'd have gone with a whole new name.
Personally, I wish you would have done it 10 years ago so I would not have had to make my own. And I still prefer the safari bikini over the back to keep the tonneau more protected.

Unread 08-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The regular Windjammer is really just designed to cut down on turbulence. The WrapAround helps make a half cab. Bestop will never claim that a Windjammer/Bikini/Duster combo makes a real weather-tight cab. But I've heard good reports.

I also wouldn't argue with the points you folks made on the snaps. They are less than totally optimal.

So Jeff... before I order this thing and besides the snap issue (which is on the regular windjammer as well), am I going to have to slot my new windjammer to accept the tonneau cover?
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #26
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Just tighten the velcro straps at the top that secure the door surround portion of the wraparound wj to the roll bar.

Still dosn't give a great seal. I've been tinkering with it for a while.

Also if you flip around your soundbar and attach this portion to the sound bar padding then you won't get any water in you cabin from that area. And your tunes will sound better!
No need. I have a Safari cover. Covers up the rear speakers and I can still get all the straps in a line.
Unread 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #27
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

I don't have rain issues, but for washing, I stuff rags in all the gaps.
Snap extensions I made.

Nice fit
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #28
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You did this here on JF, or you sent in a letter? I like the specific, actionable concerns, and always pass them along. (well, I don't "like" them, exactly. They're just better than "youz guyz suck.")
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, I called to discuss it directly on the phone, and also sent specifics via email. The concept is what I want, and I use the longer safari top and tonneau, along with soft doors year around. Bestop has been very responsive, and when that's the case I can be quite patient.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #29
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have to agree with the downsides of the wraparound. Its not quite sealed at the top, but that water follows down the roll bar which is no big deal. It doesnt work worth a damn with the tonnue cover, the snaps dont line up, and at the corners of the cover it leaves big holes. There is also the blind spot over the left shoulder.

The one thing I dislike about it the most is how it wont seal up with the tonnue cover. Other then that, you should be warned that you wont be able to recline what-so-ever after you install the wrap around.

Other than that... It does look great once installed.
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #30
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_98TJ View Post
I lodged a few complaints with Bestop the other day. I'm glad the cab is enclosed better than my old windjammer, however this wraparound jammer has a few issues.

First, there's no consideration for the roll bar straps of their tonneau (duster) cover. You basically have to cut slots in the new wrapjammer if want to tighten up the tonneau. The rollbar straps of the tonneau are rendered useless. Second, the snap strip across the back is too high, and even if you try to snap it to the tonneau, it's too high and tight and won't stay snapped. Another mod needed right out of the box.

One last observation, if you use the opening between the roll bar and old windjammer as a line of sight to traffic off your left side, that's gone. Not a design issue, but from a usability standpoint I miss the glance over my left shoulder.

Had I known the fit and function issues, I would not have purchased this. My guess is you'll see an updated version from Bestop fixing a few things....
I love mine but agree with OP about needing snaps where the safari or bikini meets the jammer.
As to your issues.

The rollbar strap on the duster are actually to be used with the factory softop hardware in place. If you notice in the rear corners the duster collapses in to the tub corners because they do not have the hardware there for support.

For your second problem you might not have the jammer pulled down tight enough to the floor for the duster to snap to it. I have 2 military ALICE bags on my back seat folded and can still snap my duster to the jammer.

As for your sight issue I can't help you there as I have no problem seeing out of mine. I have always leaned more to the passenger side to look out the back and use my mirror with a blind spot one as well.

I will take pictures tomorrow of mine and post them. The only one I have now is not a very detailed one.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestop , windjammer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.