Wrangler coming out of storage--what to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler coming out of storage--what to do?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
WranglerTom
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wrangler coming out of storage--what to do?

I stored my Wrangler for the winter last October, and this is is the first chance I've had to get it out for the summer. Before putting it away, I changed the oil, added some Sta-Bil to a full tank of gas, and put it in the garage. Because the garage is close to the furnace the temp in the garage never drops below 45 degrees F all winter.

Here's what I need to know--what do I need to do to get it ready to drive? I've heard of pulling the spark plugs and putting some oil in the cylinders to lube them up. Do I need to do this? What about changing the oil again? Anything else?

Usually I try to start it once a month or so but this winter I couldn't find the time to do it. I'm afraid if I just start it the way it is I may do some damage to the engine. I plan on keeping this Jeep for a very long time and want to do everything I can to make sure it runs forever.

So help me out--it's June and I want to drive!

Thanks!

Jeeperman front and rear bumpers, ORO taillights
Skid Row steering and engine skids
AEV Bridger wheels and Toyo Open Country M/T tires--much more to come!
WranglerTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
GSSFC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just start it, these aren't 70's vehicles! Put fresh gas in as soon as possible, change the oil and enjoy it.

Tim
GSSFC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Would be nice to lubricate engine with oil before starting it. Otherwise I can't think of anything. Should start OKAY after battery charge.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
WranglerTom
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How can I lubricate the engine with oil before sarting it? Do I have to pull the plugs and dump oil down the cylinders or is there a better (easier) way?
Unread 06-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I've heard you can disconnect ignition source and crank engines for short durations. I've heard during this engine cranking oil pump pumps oil. Can any I-6 4.0L engine expert charm in on this?

The logic here is during slow engine cranking the damage is less when compare to a full engine start up. My wife's car for instance gets driven once every 2 months, and I can hear dry engine valve taps during start up. I think one should avoid this.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
4x4 Trips:
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Unread 06-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
GSSFC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You will not get oil pressure without sufficient cranking. I think it would be better to start it and get good oil pressure than bump starting it. Again I don't think it makes much difference. If it was me it would be started without worry. I have had vehicles sit for months and started them without a second thought.

Tim
GSSFC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not too sure about this, but it might be worth a shot. Maybe try draining the oil, and putting it back in. that way you can get some oil up in the heads before it starts. Maybe if your going that far, you can just do an oil change. Just something I thought of in a few minutes. Cant hurt to try right?
Unread 06-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post
I'm not too sure about this, but it might be worth a shot. Maybe try draining the oil, and putting it back in. that way you can get some oil up in the heads before it starts. Maybe if your going that far, you can just do an oil change. Just something I thought of in a few minutes. Cant hurt to try right?
I would do this ^^^^^ if your really worried about it but if it were me i would just start it and keep an eye on the oil pressure for a min. i would also run it through a heat cycle be for you drive it and make sure everything still works
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

You figured at least 3-5 seconds of dry running after a start up, so it may not be that bad.
4x4 Trips:
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Unread 06-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry too much about an oil change before startup,but maybe after a few cycles of heating and cooling down of the engine.Also I would roll it out of the garage to start for the first time,who knows what sort of critters might have wintered over in it as well.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
dmadzia
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Everyone is waaaay over-ANALyzing this. You did the winterization correctly - (changed the oil, add fuel stabilizer and put her away). Now, just charge the battery, start it up, let it sit (idle) for about 5 minutes, then GO!
Us northerners do this every year with RV's exactly the same way. Have done it that way for years.
dmadzia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
WranglerTom
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadzia View Post
Everyone is waaaay over-ANALyzing this. You did the winterization correctly - (changed the oil, add fuel stabilizer and put her away). Now, just charge the battery, start it up, let it sit (idle) for about 5 minutes, then GO!
Us northerners do this every year with RV's exactly the same way. Have done it that way for years.
I tried to do everything correct as to eliminate any problems at startup. But the plan was to store it for four months, not eight like it has been. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to do any engine damage because I plan on keeping this rig for a very long time.
Unread 06-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
Rayvins
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerTom View Post
I tried to do everything correct as to eliminate any problems at startup. But the plan was to store it for four months, not eight like it has been. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to do any engine damage because I plan on keeping this rig for a very long time.

Sorry to hear it has been sitting for so long
Glad to hear you are getting it back out
Rayvins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.