would the pt cruiser turbo that air sierra used for his 2.4l fit on the 2.5l? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > would the pt cruiser turbo that air sierra used for his 2.4l fit on the 2.5l?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #31
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'B'wigstrailrig View Post
Yeah its probably horizontal but if its the same 2.4 as a jeeps then I would think it would mount straight. Maybe need a different bell housing. Again I dont know. Were the hell is the OP? Are you pulling this from a junk yard or robbing your mother in law? Maybe you should get the whole motor while your at it.
Could take the engine block and some other misc pieces, I'm sure. But the whole thing wouldn't bolt up and you'd still need to fab up some stuff.

Plus, again. He has the 2.5L, so I'm not sure if that would be the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #32
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Could he just pull motor and all from the PT cruiser? Then he would have the forged inners, exaust manifold and all that mumbo jumbo. I dont have a clue what Im talking about but does that make sense to someone that does? Could he use the computer from the PT cruiser as well?
I suppose...but you might as well build a TPI 350 Chevy, it would be cheaper and provide more power. To swap to a 2.4L from a 2.5L in a TJ, you'd need an entire 2.4L system: engine, accessories, mounts, transmission, computer, wiring harness, everything. Then you'd need the turbo equipment from the PT Cruiser, and you'd have to follow the thread posted here someplace outlining putting the PT Turbo on a Jeep 2.4L. The person doing that swap determined its was easier to swap the PT Turbo to the Jeep than to swap the entire PT engine to the Jeep.

it would be a LOT of money and work to get what you could have a lot easier and cheaper with a 4.0L or stroker 4.7L swap. you'd have more power with a V8 or stroker 4.7L than with a turbo 2.4L.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #33
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dont normaly get involved in this stuff, but as I have experience with Dyna jet Dynos, I have to say that this is a really silly statement.

Quote:
never needed to "dyno tune' mine is as it wasnt meant to run the 1/4 mile.
You don't need to be running a 1/4 mile race to get great benefit from using a dyno to tune your engine

Don't be a tool, use one!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Last edited by Ratmeat; 11-19-2008 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #34
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmeat View Post
Dont normaly get involved in this stuff, but as I have experience with Dyna jet Dynos, I have to say that this is a really silly statement.

You don't need to be running a 1/4 mile race to get great benefit from using a dyno to tune your engine

Don't be a tool, use one!
Exactly.

MPG, power, etc. everything relies on your tune.

That'd be like going to the bathroom and not whiping your ***, then saying, "Hey, I got pants covering anyways!"

Quote:
something big and fun
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #35
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Isn't the SRT-4 turbo an EvoIII 16g? I'm looking at putting one of those on my Suby, it's a fantastic turbo. I don't know if the PT Cruiser uses that too, I imagine it should. Either way, hilarious thread, keep fighting.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #36
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Could he just pull motor and all from the PT cruiser? Then he would have the forged inners, exaust manifold and all that mumbo jumbo. I dont have a clue what Im talking about but does that make sense to someone that does? Could he use the computer from the PT cruiser as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyxTJ View Post
I wouldn't really know how to answer that question. With the 2.4L models, I'm sure you could interchange most of the parts, however I believe that in a jeep, the motor is mounted traverse and in the PT it is mounted horizontally. Again, I'm not 100% sure.
I believe all the internals are interchanbgeable on the 2.4, as well as the head, BUT the blocks are different. I started a thread on this exact thing earlier, just bench racing, but it gets you thinking.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/srt4-tj-wrangler-500308/

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #37
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Isn't the SRT-4 turbo an EvoIII 16g? I'm looking at putting one of those on my Suby, it's a fantastic turbo. I don't know if the PT Cruiser uses that too, I imagine it should. Either way, hilarious thread, keep fighting.
Nah, I believe it's smaller. Evo III 16G, is exactly that... a 16G from a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Generation 3.

The SRT-4 uses a TD04H I believe that is either a 14B or somewhere on par with it.

Quote:
something big and fun
Unread 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #38
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I know what an EvoIII 16G is, but I also know it's a very popular turbo. I swear someone told me that's what Dodge used, but a quick search says otherwise. Anyway, you're right, it's a TD04, a TD04LR-16Gk according to wikipedia.
Unread 11-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #39
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
I know what an EvoIII 16G is, but I also know it's a very popular turbo. I swear someone told me that's what Dodge used, but a quick search says otherwise. Anyway, you're right, it's a TD04, a TD04LR-16Gk according to wikipedia.
Probably a variant then, lol. Both of us had some numbers that were correct.

Quote:
something big and fun
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #40
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Mitsubishi makes about a million TD04 variants, I have one on my Suby, I encounter multiple on diesel engines, it's a very popular OEM turbo that comes in many shapes and sizes.
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #41
WarriorM
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The PT is a transverse engine. The exhaust manifold will bolt directly to a TJ, but the turbo will not fit, due to it hitting the firewall. Air Sierra had an adapter machined to flip the manifold upside down so the turbo mounts in the front. The turbo must be re pinned so it oils correctly. The stock ECU is good for about 12psi of boost. The stock injectors will handle 3-4psi quite nicely. Air Sierra has part #'s for bigger injectors to handle more boost. He has around 20k miles without any issues. My turbo build starts as soon as I finish installing my new plow on my Dodge. I have right around a grand invested in parts for this mod.
WarriorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #42
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorM View Post
The PT is a transverse engine. The exhaust manifold will bolt directly to a TJ, but the turbo will not fit, due to it hitting the firewall. Air Sierra had an adapter machined to flip the manifold upside down so the turbo mounts in the front. The turbo must be re pinned so it oils correctly. The stock ECU is good for about 12psi of boost. The stock injectors will handle 3-4psi quite nicely. Air Sierra has part #'s for bigger injectors to handle more boost. He has around 20k miles without any issues. My turbo build starts as soon as I finish installing my new plow on my Dodge. I have right around a grand invested in parts for this mod.
At that boost pressure, you might as well be pissing into the wind. I wouldn't waste my time for a gain of maybe 30-40hp and a can of worms.

Quote:
something big and fun
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #43
WarriorM
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would disagree that a mod that nets around 225hp and 245lb/ft of torque and over 20 mpg in a Jeep is "pissing in the wind" and a waste of time. However, things are supposed to be bigger in TX, so I guess 4 bangers are frowned upon. Maybe some research on this mod would change your impression, but maybe not.
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #44
David Hinton

Air sierra did this exact mod to his 2.4l I think it was, and he had to do minor fabrications for this turbo to work. He sees an imporvement in overall power and an increase in mpg to 20. just some facts
David Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #45
WarriorM
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is correct. I have spoken with him on numerous occasions about this build. He is seeing about 22mpg on 37's with 5:13 gears. 20K miles, no problems and he seems pleased with the performance gains.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.