Wont Start, Strong smell of gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wont Start, Strong smell of gas

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
AlTheKillerr

Wont Start, Strong smell of gas

I tried the search but it kept coming up as a blank page so please help out. I just used my jeep ~2 hours ago and it was running fine. i moved her up the drive and onto the road so my dad could get out. now i went to move it back down so i can pack my stuff into it and it wouldnt start. at first it just clicked. then i tried again and it sounded like it was wanting to turn over. like the sound it makes the split second before it wants to turn over? but it wont. also i thought i smelled an egg smell but smelled around and it smells like gas. i see no leaks anywhere and i could see just alittle exhaust coming out and thats where the gas smelled seemed to be coming from. any idea whats going on with my jeep? its got me puzzled

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
AlTheKillerr

ok so i got her to start by giving her a little gas but as soon as i let off she wont idle so she wants to die. still smells like its running rich or something. same smell as my 69 jaguar e-type (has an inline 6 4.2l)
Unread 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
AlTheKillerr

well she started and is running but still im a little worried about it

anyone
Unread 12-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So you started it and it was running and when you were letting it idle it just died? Your jeep might not be running a good a/f mixture...how old is your upstream o2 sensor?
Brandon97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
AlTheKillerr

the up stream is probably from factory so 99

shell run now no problem but still smells a bit rich to me and i do have to drive it tonight from her to the step moms place (~20 minute drive at ~65mph) is it ok that i drive it just this one time?
Unread 12-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah its fine but if it starts to "stutter", you might want to replace that o2 sensor. Especially if you smell gas, that means the o2 is giving bad readings and is killing your MPG. On average I get 20mpg but when my o2 went bad I was getting around 9....yeah. If it's not a big issue you can get one for like $35 shipped at rockauto.com or you can get pretty much the same one from Autozone or similar for $55.

I would make sure that you're running rich first before buying anything though. Sometimes a lazy o2 won't trigger a CEL too so keep that in mind.
Unread 12-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
AlTheKillerr

awesome thank you for the help. my buddy is coming over to take a look at it too. hes a tech at the jeep dealer so i can see what he can get me (price wise) for a new sensor if thats what it is
Unread 12-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My dad took my jeep to the dealer one time and it was like $75 per sensor. Crazy price, but since he works there he could probably get it wholesale. good luck! let me know what fixes your problem
Unread 12-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

let me know what you find out... the same thing has been happening to me... the car would completely die, I then go under the hood, play around with the cables that go to the battery and get power back, the car would start and then stutter and die... I would have to give it gas and let it run for a while before it's fine... no problems then but a strong smell of gas does exist...

I'm going to tighten my battery cables and see what else I can do

Firefighters Jeep Club
flexsaharatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Clean your throttle body too...might be some gunk up in there....theres tons of posts on here about that
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
AlTheKillerr

well we decided to get a new battery just to start to eliminate things and it started right up. so im going to go back out and see if she starts no problem this morning after its been sitting all night. im guessing the gas smell was unburned fuel making its way out the exhaust or something. it didnt have that smell after we got the new battery in and it ran for a minute

Edit: started no problem and there was zero smell. the battery that we got to replace the old one was alot bigger for some reason. we triple checked the booklet and with the guys at the place and everything said this was the right battery. maybe my brother put in the wrong one years ago but this one has 750 CCA where as the old one had something like 530 CCA
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If the engine cranks/turns over normally and at the same rpms but just doesn't start, it's not the battery.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
AlTheKillerr

what should i look at then? its been running fine since the new battery
Unread 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKuback View Post
what should i look at then? its been running fine since the new battery
Sorry, I thought the starter was cranking the engine normally/ok but the engine just wasn't starting. I just now figured out you meant it was just really only barely clicking.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
AlTheKillerr

oh ok. im just glad it wasnt something more serious than a battery. not that i enjoy spending 93 bucks on a battery though

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.