won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > won't start

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
jfred06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

won't start

helllllp!! I have a 2000 tj sport
when I go to start it it does nothing.. won't even attempt to crank.. just has lights come on the dash.. I took my starter out amd had it tested at auto zone.. guy said it was good.. and to just clean the terminal for the power from the battery.. it was pretty dirty and made sense that the starter wouldn't be getting enough power to engage. well it started up after that... annnnnnnnnnd happened again.i tried to jump the celinoid and it didnt work.. just randomly started after not starting for a bunch of tries... please help!!

jfred06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
RhinoChaser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe dumb question, did you have the battery tested while you we're at it? I was having the same problem, Autozone ran a test on my starter and said it was fine. It wasn't fine, I put in a new starter and have no problem since. Turned out the battery was going bad and not holding a charge so the starter was working over time to compensate. Bad battery caused bad starter.
RhinoChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
jfred06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yea my battery is brand new.. maybe 3months old..
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
RhinoChaser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If your starter, suddenly started working, even once after reinstalling it. I would think your starters going bad. Sometimes you can tap the starter a few times to get it to work if the contacts are going bad.
RhinoChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
jfred06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well after replacing the starter.. and ignition switch.. still having the same problem.. I got out the wire diagram to see what else could be the issue.. narrowed it down to the NSS.. annnnd as I was chamging it out I found that there was a frayed wired goin to that plug.... spent 200 $ on something I fixed with a 30 cent butt connector and some electroc tape.... jeep runs fine and fires up....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.