Won't shift out of 2WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Won't shift out of 2WD

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
garbon2535
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Won't shift out of 2WD

I have a 2000 TJ that won't shift out of 2WD. I can't move it into neutral, 4HI, or 4LO. The lever seems to be stuck in the position it is currently in.

My transfer case is completely covered in ice. The entire area around my transfer case from the skid plate up to the bottom of the body is filled in with ice.

Could my linkage be stuck due to the ice? I am not completely familiar with how the linkage connects the lever to the transfer case.

The temp is supposed to be 15-20 degrees warmer tomorrow. The high is 25 degrees. I am hoping to take my Jeep to the self-serve car wash and use pressured hot water to blast the ice out from the underside of my Jeep. My suspension was coated to the point where things started vibrating while going down the road but I was able to chip off enough ice to eliminate the vibrations. I have been using 4HI off-and-on over the past few weeks without any problems, before today. I even put the Jeep in 4LO during the last big snow storm just to make sure there were no issues with it.

garbon2535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The linkage can't move because of the ice.Mine did that recently with the 2' of snow we got.I parked it in the garage to let it melt and it was fine.This is a picture of the linkage.It has to be able to move back and forth for the lever to move.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
garbon2535
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have a heated garage. My wife usually gets the garage and if her car is covered in snow it won't melt if we park it in the garage.

I took my Jeep to the car wash and used the power washer to blast the ice off all around the transfer case. My shifter now works like normal. I can shift into 2hi, 4hi, neutral, & 4lo.

Thanks for the picture of the linkage. What side of the Jeep is that on? And is that a shot looking front-to-back or back-to-front?

There is still considerable ice buildup in the bottom of my skid plate. It is clogging all of the drain holes preventing new water and snow to escape when it melts. I am considering the idea of getting a magnetic oil pan heater and sticking that on the bottom of the skid plate to melt the ice. Besides from the possibility of lots of water running all over the heater and possibly causing a short and/or some type of electrical hazard is there any reasons this may be a bad idea or shouldn't I worry about it the run-off from melting ice?
garbon2535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbon2535 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have a heated garage. My wife usually gets the garage and if her car is covered in snow it won't melt if we park it in the garage.

I took my Jeep to the car wash and used the power washer to blast the ice off all around the transfer case. My shifter now works like normal. I can shift into 2hi, 4hi, neutral, & 4lo.

Thanks for the picture of the linkage. What side of the Jeep is that on? And is that a shot looking front-to-back or back-to-front?

There is still considerable ice buildup in the bottom of my skid plate. It is clogging all of the drain holes preventing new water and snow to escape when it melts. I am considering the idea of getting a magnetic oil pan heater and sticking that on the bottom of the skid plate to melt the ice. Besides from the possibility of lots of water running all over the heater and possibly causing a short and/or some type of electrical hazard is there any reasons this may be a bad idea or shouldn't I worry about it the run-off from melting ice?
The linkage is on the driver's side and the picture is a shot from the rear angle.I wouldn't worry about the run-off from melting ice,Jeeps don't seem to mind a little water underneath them.

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.