Wiring Windshield Mounted Lights .... Need Stock Wiring Colors ..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring Windshield Mounted Lights .... Need Stock Wiring Colors .....

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 03-15-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
JHyett

Wiring Windshield Mounted Lights .... Need Stock Wiring Colors .....

I just got my winsheild light mounts and lights on the Jeep today
(I don't want to start on those damn Torx bolt on the Windsheild, still need to get two out and replaced any suggestions on where to get new ones would help .... but back to the subject)
anyway ... Here is my Plan ....
I want to wire two relays to run my Windshield lights and fog lights. I would like to power the relays with straight power from the battery for max output to lights. I already have two switches wired up to work the relays, one for each set of lights.
My plan is to tap into my Fog lamp power and interrupt it through my switch setup so my new lights will run when my stock fog lamp is turned on. (I don't want to leave them on when I exit the vehicle) I would also while doing this like to have an independant switch for my fog lamps and windshield lamps.
Here's what I need... I don't want to rund 10 ft of wire to the front of the Jeep and back to tap into the wires there... anyone know the color code for the underdash lights. I assume the wire from the foglamp switch is for a relay, which is fine for me, I can still use that power to power my relays, But I don't know what color it is.
Additionally anyone know how to take off the metal strip between the hood and windshield, where the vent is, I want to tuck my wires down there. (Does it come off?)
I hope I wrote this so it you can understand what I want to do,,
Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I have found this Forum IMMENSELY helpful with upgrading my Jeep. I'll post some pics of the lights installed once I get them wired and working.

JHyett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
got4-Lo

just get the power from the battery and dont tap the fogs

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
blacktj27

yeah the cowl (the piece behind the hood with the vent) does come off. You have to remove the screws along the top by the windshild, then the one on the vent, and then there are like three of four that you have to open the hood to get to that are hidden under the wheather strip between the hood and the cowl. That is where i hid all of my wires. let me know if you need any pics I can email them to you.

Josh
blacktj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
JHyett

Thanks for the info on the cowl I'm leaving town for a few days, but I'll try to at least get some wires run inside when I get back, given the weather is nice.
As for wiring them straight to the battery, I don't want to. That's the easy way out and they will run regardless of my Headlight operation. I like the idea that I will have them wired with my fog lamps so I can't accidentially turn them on, or leave them on. There is really no reason no to wire them with my fog lamps, considering they are illegal anyway and "shouldn't" be turned on unless off road.
Unread 03-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #5
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktj27
...... between the hood and the cowl. That is where i hid all of my wires. let me know if you need any pics I can email them to you.
I'd like to see pics also. Can you post links to pics? (I see you can't post pics yet, but if you do a pic post, we can see the link. Once you have 50 posts, the pics will appear in this thread)
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
04TJFan

I have asked this question on wiring windsheild lights before and I was hoping someone could post some pictures of how they ran the wiring up to the lights. Either thru the cowl or the winshield frame or ???. How about some help??

Scott
[COLOR=black]Black Jeep Club Member #2004[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jarhead Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Bushwacker Fender Flares
04TJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
JHyett

I'm back from a long weekend. I plan on removing the cowl tommorrow and running the wires through the firewall via the same port the stock harness goes. I'll take pics of my switches inside and relay setup as well as a couple of step by steps of the cowl removal. Weather permitting I'll do it tommorrow.
....... still looking for the relay wire under the dash for the fog lamps .... any help?????????
thanks

2003 Wrangler Freedom Edition, if I forgot to mention.
Unread 03-21-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
JHyett

Installation Steps

Here's a few pics of my install. I found a color code from autocommand.com for alarm wiring which gave me the code for the parking lights. I decided to use that as my trigger for my relay, as opposed to using the fog lamp stock switch. (This way I can use these with High Beams on)
I installed my lights and ran the wiring under the cowl. The cowl is removed with 7 screws. 4 can be seen below the windsheild. 1 is in the center of the air vent. The other 2 are UNDER the weather strip when you open the hood just slip it up on both ends and there they are. (Noted in pics)
I then ran the wire from my light Under the hinges .... the wire Just slid through without any ends on it. I don't think it will be a problem if I fold the windsheild, but I doubt I can do that anyway with these lights on there. I then used heat shrink tubing to seal the connection so water doesn't get in there. For the Passenger side I ran the wire through a gap under the cowl out of the way so the wiper arm doesn't catch the wiring.
NOTE: First install I tried grounding my lights to the mounting bolts of my lights..... it worked for 15 minutes. I now need to take the cowl off again and run some ground wires .... learn from my mistake, do it right the first time, there are plenty of screws and bolts under the cowl to run a ground to.
To run the wires inside I simply ran then through the same hole the wiper wires go through. I then ran both wires to the output of my relay for my lights. The relay is activated by a switch that is powered by my parking light wires, so I can turn the lights on and off anytime I have my parking lights on, but they won't stay on when the lights are off. The Relay itself is connected to dirct 12v from the battery .. I still need to add a fuse... Below are a few pics of the install. I have some more detailed pics if anyone wants them just PM me. I will also get a pic of my inside switch install when I get some daylight ... damn I wish I had a garage.

ALL ABOVE MODIFICATIONS WERE DONE ON A 2003 TJ

P.S. I dropped a screw in my vent whil reinstalling my dash .... any help on getting inside my vent like via the blower motor ???
Unread 03-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #9
04TJFan

Thanks for the pictures. I would for sure look into putting some type of protection on those wires. Could you put a clip on the inside windshield screw and run the wires thru the cowl with a grommet and put some type of shielding on the wires that are exposed outside the jeep. I would think that running the wires under the hinge could cause wear after a while. I like the overall setup but I'm really concerned about a short in the wire later on. Just my .02

Scott
[COLOR=black]Black Jeep Club Member #2004[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jarhead Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Bushwacker Fender Flares
04TJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
JHyett

As for under the Hinges, the edges are all smooth so I'm not too worried about a short around there, same goes for the edges of the cowl.
As for where I ran the wires through the firewall, there is a plug there that already holds the wires that are there now, it can be slit to run the new wires so that there is a thick wall of rubber keeping them from rubbing any metal edges. I opted to use 14 ga wire so it is fairly heavy duty, so I'm not too concerned about it weathering, if you look at the stock lamps they use about a 14-16 ga wire that is exposed. I did use heat shrink tubing to protect my conections however. Aditionally I added some wire loom to the exterior wire, I thought It showed up on one of the pictures, but I must have done that after the pics were taken. I'm gonna hopfully fix my ground problem tonight and add a little more wire loom to all the wires, I take some more detailed pics then. I am working on a webpage that has the wiring diagram and setup of the switches. I hope to have it done in a couple of days If I get the time, I'll post a link when I do.
Thanks for the advice
Jason

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.