Wiring question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring question

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
TJ-Tim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring question

I need to hook up a toggle switch that has a light. One of the wires needs to get hooked up so it only works if the ignition is on and the light needs to get hooked up to my dash panel light.

How do I hook it up to do this? My friend said to find the fuse for them in my glove box and wrap the wire around the fuse and put the fuse back in.

This dosnt sound the safest to me.. If anyone has a
better idea please let me k ow what I will need and how to make the connections I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thnx

Unread 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
tim87114
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a little confused on your specification but So I'll approach it this way.

On your stereo there is a Dimmer wire that is controlled by your dash light switch. You can use a T-tap or one of the blue clip on connectors that attach to the factory wire. This would allow the light on the toggle to light up when your headlights or running lights are on.

But here is the deal. My toggle that I have for my off road light only turns on when you flip the switch on. Can you tell me what type of toggle you have?
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
TJ-Tim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim87114 View Post
I'm a little confused on your specification but So I'll approach it this way.

On your stereo there is a Dimmer wire that is controlled by your dash light switch. You can use a T-tap or one of the blue clip on connectors that attach to the factory wire. This would allow the light on the toggle to light up when your headlights or running lights are on.

But here is the deal. My toggle that I have for my off road light only turns on when you flip the switch on. Can you tell me what type of toggle you have?
It's the toggle for my oba. I need to hook up the toggle so I can only turn on my compressors if the ignition is on. The toggle panel also has a pressure gauge with a back light on it I want only on when my dash light go on. But I think I got an answer from ur post I'll have to pick up those connectors u referred to. I wasn't sure if could tap into another wirre like that
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
TJ-Tim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Also if someone can tell me how to locate a panel wire and ignition wire to tap into that would be awesome
Unread 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Tim View Post
Also if someone can tell me how to locate a panel wire and ignition wire to tap into that would be awesome
You need to tap into anything that only works with the ignition on.. So the stereo for example is a good idea to get a power line from as tim87114 suggested. Or you can simply draw power into your cab to the switch from the battery as I did with my in-cab winch controls Which I think would be more practical incase your Jeep doesn't start for any reason and you still want to activate the OBA !!!
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
TJ-Tim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thnx for the advise guys ima try this when I get out of work
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

behind your glove box there should be two power wires already set up one is labeled switched and the other is labeled unswitched. They are already fused and hot.
Cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
wiring , lights , diagram , help , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.