Wiring ??? please help asap! working on it now.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring ??? please help asap! working on it now....

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 01-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring ??? please help asap! working on it now....

Ok guys which wire do you think would go to which? I totally suck at this wiring stuff. I got my mirror wiring jumper from the jeep dealer. I hooked it up from the mirror to the plug in the dash...compass is working great! However, I'm having an issue with the temp sensor. The temp sensor I got off the chevy from the salvage yard is a different connection than the one on the jeep. Good thing is...I snagged the plug off the chevy that works with the temp sensor I took from the chevy. What I plan on doing is cutting the plug from the jeep and connecting the plug/wires from the chevy to the 2 jeep wires from that plug. I just dont know which wire would go to whom. Ok, from the chevy plug it has 2 wires, one is all green with a black stripe down it, the other is all brown. The factory jeep plug, one is all purple with a green stripe down it and the other is all black with a light blue stripe down it.

Here is the Jeep plug that is currently on the jeep...

and here is the chevy plug...

I know the pictures suck..my bad. Just trying to give ya an idea of what im trying to accomplish...thanks a million!

tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
cerebrus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it is like most temperature probes it does not matter which wire is connected to which. Try it and see what happens.
cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
If it is like most temperature probes it does not matter which wire is connected to which. Try it and see what happens.
yeah i guess i got a 50/50 shot and if it doesnt work...just swap em!
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ok i did it and now the dash where the mileage is...is blinking no fuse? I tried swapping the wires and it is still blinking no fuse? Anybody know what fuse this is or what else I can do?? thanks
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
TJRUSSELL
2005 TJ Wrangler 

isent the temp sensor in the grill
TJRUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

my jeep didnt have one...just the plugs were already prewired
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Grandpa Jeeper
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cerebrus had it right. The temperature probe is simply a resistor that changes in resistance as the temperature changes. As the temperature goes up the resistance goes down. It is not possible to wire it backwards. As to your fuse issue, someone else will have to help you with that.
Good Luck
Unread 01-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I found the no fuse culprit. It is a blown 10amp under the hood in the access2 slot! Any ideas why that blew and do you think it'll keep blowin of I replace it? Thanks
Unread 01-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OMG!!! some one out there has to know something...I am sooo frustrated I swapped both wires and the fuse keeps popping and my dash keeps blinking no fuse!! UGGHH!! I totally hate electrical crap..this sucks! Can someone please help?? I already blew a box of 20amps and 10amps...10 fuses!! I put a volt meter on it and it is drawling like 34v and when I move it to amps the tester plugs get extremely hot and doesnt read anything...im gonna light the mother F'er on fire!!
Unread 01-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ok after some trial and error i unplugged my new harness from the back of the mirror...the fuse didnt pop! as soon as I plugged the mirror back in the fuse popped!! what does this mean??

edit: I took the mirror apart and everything looks fine..no shorts or pinched wires from what I can see. I mean it looks like a brand new mirror..its nice! im totally lost...any electricians out there???
Unread 01-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The wiring in your Jeep differs from what is required by the mirror. The mirror connections are as detailed in the mirror upgrade thread you posted in. The wiring the mirror needs is from pin 1 to 7...

1 Switched 12V
2 Ground
3 back up lamp feed or not used.
4,5 not used
6,7 temp sensor

The Jeep jumper connects the following to those pins...

1 Switched 12V (dark blue/white)
2 Ground (black/light green)
3 back up lamp feed (violet/black)
4,5 temp sensor (violet/light green and black/light blue)
6 courtesy lamps driver (yellow)
7 permanent 12v from the fuse that keeps blowing. (pink/white)

You can leave the wires at pins 1,2 and 3. You need to switch the violet/light green and black/light blue) from pins 4 and 5 to pins 6 and 7. The yellow and pink/white wires are not required for your mirror so can be doubled back and taped to the loom out of the way or snipped out.

When done the wires to your mirror should be...

4,5 not used
6,7 temp sensor (violet/light green and black/light blue)

The back up lamp feed turns the auto dim off when reverse is selected. So it's up to you if you leave it connected or not.

I suspect pin 7 of the mirror is the temp sensor reference/ground, so by plugging in the mirror you are connecting the permanent live feed direct to ground which is why your fuses are blowing.

I've just bought a new 09 Liberty auto dim/compass/temp mirror myself 25~$40 off ebay. No wiring or temp sensor though. Connector will be the hard part to find over here. I think the temp sensor is a 47K thermistor but I've yet to confirm that, hope so as they are less than 1.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 01-30-2010 at 02:27 PM..
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
The wiring in your Jeep differs from what is required by the mirror. The mirror connections are as detailed in the mirror upgrade thread you posted in. The wiring the mirror needs is from pin 1 to 7...

1 Switched 12V
2 Ground
3 back up lamp feed or not used.
4,5 not used
6,7 temp sensor

The Jeep jumper connects the following to those pins...

4,5 temp sensor (violet/light green and black/light blue)
6 courtesy lamps driver (yellow)
7 permanent 12v from the fuse that keeps blowing. (pink/white)

You can leave the wires at pins 1,2 and 3. You need to switch the violet/light green and black/light blue) from pins 4 and 5 to pins 6 and 7. The yellow and pink/white wires are not required for your mirror so can be doubled back and taped to the wire out of the way or snipped out.

When done the wires to your mirror should be...

4,5 not used
6,7 temp sensor (violet/light green and black/light blue)

The back up lamp feed turns the auto dim off when reverse is selected.

I suspect pin 7 of the mirror is the temp sensor reference/ground, so by plugging in the mirror you are connecting the permanent live feed direct to ground which is why your fuses are blowing.
Oh man dude seriously!! You are f'n awesome! I was on my way to another salvage yard for another mirror. I was thinkin it was a short. I'm turnin around now headin back to the house to give this a try. Hope it works! Thanks so much dude! Have to make a pit stop at wally world...need more fuses! Lol!
Unread 01-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quick question though! I spent 40 bucks on the factory harness. So I would still have to make those changes to the factory harness?
Unread 01-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
billymac4511
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just make sure the wires all match what they're doing on either side of the plug and I think that would make it all set.
Unread 01-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
Quick question though! I spent 40 bucks on the factory harness. So I would still have to make those changes to the factory harness?
Yes. The factory wiring is to connect to the factory upgrade mirror which has lamps fitted. The permanent live is to supply the mirror lamps, and the courtesy lamp driver is actually the ground triggered by door switches or dome lamp switch.

With the mirror you have, the two pins that you will be leaving unused are for sending the mirror dimmer signal to dimmable door mirrors for those vehicles that have them.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.