Wiring Genius Needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring Genius Needed!

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Outbounder
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring Genius Needed!

I have an 04 TJ with aftermarket wiring for the fog lights. Does anyone know how to splice in so that the fog light indicator in the instrument cluster will light when fogs are on?
Thanks

Outbounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have the factory service manual? The wiring diagrams in there will show you what pin on what connectors and what color wires carry that signal to the cluster from the fog lamp circuit. Looks like you could access the feed for that light at connector C170 below the left side of the instrument panel (without removing the cluster), check the connector/ground/splice location section of the FSM to identify which connector C170 is, and check the wiring diagram section on front lights to identify the wire color at C170 of that feed (page 8W-50-10 in the 2005 FSM, not sure if it's the same page in the 04 FSM.)

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
kehoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you want to still use the multi-function switch to power your lights, or did you install another switch?

I wired a new switch for my fog lights and connected the wire going into the multi-function switch to my new switch. I believe the color is white with an orange tracer.

Edit, found a link with more info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00stephen View Post
Your self-illuminating foglights are indeed due to a malfunctioning Multifunction Switch. It's a part that commonly fails; a forum search indicated Chrysler used the same switch on PT Cruisers, and fails on those too. How do I know this? I just came inside from replacing/bypassing my MF switch on my 2002 Sahara tonight.

As commented above, leaving the turn signal in the "left"/down position -- or perhaps 'right'/up, as described above -- will prevent your fog lights from lighting up when you're away from your car (and yes, they *will* do that if the short in the switch gets progressively worse), and draining your battery. That's a stop-gap fix though, as nobody wants to see your foglights flicker on and off as you're driving down the road. ;-)

A permanent fix would be to replace the $125 switch. An alternative to that costly endeavor (why replace an expensive failure-prone part with the same expensive failure-prone part?) would be to re-wire the switch to a factory Jeep foglight switch in one of the three slots above the cigarette lighter -- some years TJ's had a foglight switch there, next to the hardtop washer and defroster switchs. I've seen them on ebay, and you could probably find one at a pick-and-pull or order one from the stealership. Personally, I chose an even cheaper alternative: I wired the lights to a $3.99 toggle switch I mounted near my other matching $3.99 auxilery light switches.

If you choose to bypass the turn signal stalk by using one of the alternative switches described above, simply undo the two halves of steering column shroud by unscrewing the two deeply set Phillips screws underneath. Slide the bottom half of the cover off first, and then the top. On top (not the side) of the steering column, there is a grey connector with about 20 wires in it... disconnect it. There is a black piece along the front and sides of that grey connecter, pull it off. At that point, you can pull individual wires out. Pull out the white wire with an orange stripe; that white/orange wire leads to your foglight relay. Replace the black piece on to the front of the grey connecter. Using a factory or aftermarket toggle switch of your choice, hook that wire (you'll almost certainly need an extension) to one terminal. On the other terminal, hook up a "battery on" accessory wire (eg, cigarette lighter power wire, red radio wire). Replace all connecters and reassemble the plastic steering column clamshell.

By using this orange/white wire, you'll maintain use of your factory wiring and relay, and the green foglight indicator will still illuminate when you use the toggle switch. Doing this will also allow you to check the conditions and connections of the other (turn signal) wires while you have things disassembled.

Best of luck with however you chose to proceed.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fo...3/#post7247309
kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Outbounder
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, however I don’t have factory Fog light wiring or a fog relay and thus no multi switch. I do have a FSM disc but it is for 96-06 and shows a multi switch and relay for factory wiring so not much help but I’ll look again.
Outbounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fog lights , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.