Wiring Diagrams - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring Diagrams

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-21-2007, 05:37 AM   #1
cbowles
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring Diagrams

So I have done about an hour of searching and cant find anything on wiring diagrams for a few things...

One is for the headlights. I have the H4 headlights, but want to rewire the lights to include relays and fuses in the lines. I have heard that it makes the lights brighter and I am all for brighter.

The second is for my Hella 500 fog lights and pencil beams. I currently have them running with straight power and I don't like that (just not safe IMO). I want to get a wiring diagram for wiring both sets of lights separately (fogs on one circuit, pencils on another), each with relays, fuses, and all that good stuff.

Maybe I just can't find anything tonight, but if someone could post pictures or wiring diagrams or something so that I cam make up harnesses for these things. I am not good AT ALL with electrical things, so that's why I'm reaching out to you guys. PLZ HELP! Also, I have 16 gauge wire, would that be sufficient?

cbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
bblhead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you looking for stock wiring or someones custom set?

If you are looking for stock, I used a Haynes Manual for most of my wiring needs and I also use this site http://www.alldatadiy.com/. I forget the cost, but it has many useful pictures for not just the Wiring.

Ben

HERS: 09 Unlimited Rubicon Stock.... For now!!!!
bblhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
cbowles
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Kind of a custom set. I cant find anything on the Hella website as far as a wiring diagram, and the internet has just a bunch of bad links. I was hoping that maybe someone drew up a wiring diagram when they wired their lights.
Unread 07-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
cbowles
1998 TJ Wrangler 

BTT for some hopeful answers
Unread 07-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
brianw13a
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbowles
One is for the headlights. I have the H4 headlights, but want to rewire the lights to include relays and fuses in the lines. I have heard that it makes the lights brighter and I am all for brighter.
Are your bulbs rated at higher amps that the stock? Or are you changing the bulbs as well? If neither, then relays and fuses won't help.

A fuse limits the amps that can flow through it. Increase the amps beyond the fuse limit and you'll blow the fuse. The reason is to protect the wiring. If you get a short with an oversized fuse, you will likely burn the wiring and possibly start you jeep on fire before the fuse will blow. In-line fuses will NOT make your bulbs brighter.

A relay is just a switch that is turned on by a low amp signal. It has a certain rated capacity similiar to a fuse but that is to protect the relay.

On the headlights, save yourself some time and effort and don't bother, all you'll really accomplish is making your troubleshooting tougher if it breaks.

BTW: I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do work for an electrical engineering firm.

As for the fog lights, I would put in a fuse immediately. You can splice one into the 12v+ side of the lights and you're good to go. I would also put relay in as well. This is a little more complicate but not bad. Just remember that you'll splice into you're 12v+ fog again. The other two leads will be 12v+ from the switch and ground. You'll have to view the diagram of your relay to get the pinout straight.

The one on this page seems fairly straight-forward

Last edited by brianw13a; 07-21-2007 at 02:37 PM..
brianw13a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
alexherb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

For the relay wiring, on the relay the terminals should be labled with numbers (30,86,87,87a,85)

30 to the battery
85 to a switch that shows 12v when on
86 to chassis ground
87 ouput to the foglights
87a not used

Most relays are only rated to 30 amps, so make sure the foglights dont pull more than that. It may be neccesary to use seperate relays for each light. Depending on the current draw of the lights. Easy way to tell the current is dived the wattage by 12 and thatll give you a rough current draw.
alexherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrica...5/lights-1.htm details the basics of wiring a set of lights for a vehicle.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical.asp has more electrical projects for your Jeep.

Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.