Wiring Aux Lights with Contura Switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring Aux Lights with Contura Switch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Raztt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring Aux Lights with Contura Switch

I want to wire my aux lights and misc electronics through a fuse block. I am planing on getting the bussman fuse block from OTRATTW, but am open to suggestions.

Here is a wiring diagram that I made, I need to know if it is accurate and which wire to connect to position 6 (Lower Light Pos) on the switch. It should be either the positive from the power/fuseblock or the positive from the lights, although I am leaning to the one from the power.

Thanks for any help guys!

Last edited by Raztt; 08-29-2008 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: New Diagram
Raztt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You would probably get a better responce in the electrical section.

Can't tell you about the switch pole numbers as I have no idea what they are. I'm pretty sure the 8 and 7 would not go to the light. They would go to ground, as they are likely to give the switch ground for the light. Ground from light can go to frame ground close to the light rather than running the wire from the battery, fuse block, etc.

You should also have a relay in between the switch and the lights, depending on the amp rating of the switch you might be able to run it without the relay but best practice is to have that relay.

Last edited by XXRider; 08-28-2008 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Added more info
XXRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the ARB style Contura, here's what I did with my sPod:

Where it shows "SW1", etc., is the feed to the relays for the accessories. It's always a good idea to run a relay. Your in-cab switches would be low current and the relays, out of cab, would be the high current to the accessories.

On my Conturas, they have two lights in the switch body, one for dash lamp and the other illuminates when the switch is on. There is only one power wire (terminal #3) that would run the accessory.

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

10-4 on the relay. I just wired my aux lights with the contura switches. I did not wire the upper light (too bright and you can see white light behind the switch rocker). You can run the same power to both the 2 and 6 location on the switch. If you only want the light on when you turn your headlights on you will have to find one of the wires that run to your dash lights. I just ran all of mine to a keyed ignition wire so that there is only poer to them when the key is on. You really don't need the fuse block. As long as your aux lights come with the relay you can just pull power from the cig lighter in the dash and run it to power all of you switches. I also wired my winch controls into my cab and using the keyed wired, you cannot operate the winch without the key on. Here's how mine turned out. The lower lights come on when the ingition is on. The upper lights are not wired to be on at any time. The winch in/out button only lights up when the "arm" button is on.

Here is what mine looks like.
jbramble24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Raztt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help, i just discovered the electrical thread also so that should help. I butchered the wiring behind the dash when i hooked up my cb and want to do things clean and right this time, so thats the reason for the fuse block.

Also I want the power to be ignition on only, so where would I get enough power for the lights that would work.

Thanks again.
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Exactly what kind of lights are you hooking up? You should not be running the full power wire for your lights through the switch. The switches are fairly low voltage/amperage and should send power to a relay (should be included with the light kit). Once power is sent to the relay, the relay switches full power to the lights directly from your battery. You only need to find a wire that that is on when the key is on. I used the power wire to the cig lighter. It is already fused and you won't draw much current from it to activate a relay.

Also, most light kits have an in-line fuse, eliminating the need for a fuse block.
jbramble24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Raztt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i bought some kc daylighters a while ago without a kit, so im going to have to buy the fuse block and the relay
Unread 08-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Raztt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

edited the diagram, it's in the first post. robncar's diagram helped a lot but what is position 2, is it the power for the switch lights?
Unread 08-30-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raztt View Post
edited the diagram, it's in the first post. robncar's diagram helped a lot but what is position 2, is it the power for the switch lights?
#6 is the power to the small lower switch light, I took it off the dash lamp feed. It will also dim and bright, just like the dash lights.

#2 is the power "in" to the large upper switch lamp AND is switched out through #3. This will trigger the relay for your accessory (load), in your case lights.

In my application, switch 5 is only ON if switch 4 is ON. Switch 6 will be ON only if switch 4 and 5 are ON. The same functionality as the ARB harness.

I would recommend a fuse between #2 and Bat (or other + source) also. Even though it's only a switch circuit with a small lamp, controlling a relay, it's always good practice to fuse.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.