Windstar cowl intake - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windstar cowl intake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #61
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh13lds21 View Post
i finally got the intake wrapped i used thermo tec thermo shield it was pretty easy to do just time consuming cause i didnt wrap the sections with one continuous piece i just used strips and put the seme on the back side so its not noticable.
so tell me what you guys think

Any updates on how this is working for you? How is the thermo tec thermo shield holding up? Can you use the oil dipstick very easy?

midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #62
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Any updates on how this is working for you? How is the thermo tec thermo shield holding up? Can you use the oil dipstick very easy?
Can't comment on the thermo shield as I didn't wrap mine, but can tell you no problem accessing dipsticks.
Unread 06-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #63
zooby
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have this mod on my jeep (except the thermo wrap). I did it for more room under the hood. It works good for me. I bent the dipstick tube a little for better access.
zooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #64
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Can't comment on the thermo shield as I didn't wrap mine, but can tell you no problem accessing dipsticks.
Thanks for the info. Did you cut the air filter box down like the OP did?
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #65
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Did you cut the air filter box down like the OP did?
Yep, don't need all the MAF stuff and saving the space under the hood worth doing. I cut the middle out of backhalf with a hacksaw and then RTV'd the end and the attachment ring together.
Unread 06-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #66
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I cut mine down as well. Dipstick can be used just have to pull it to the side a bit.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #67
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Yep, don't need all the MAF stuff and saving the space under the hood worth doing. I cut the middle out of backhalf with a hacksaw and then RTV'd the end and the attachment ring together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1 View Post
I cut mine down as well. Dipstick can be used just have to pull it to the side a bit.
Thanks for the info. I might have to try this mod I do enjoy droping the TJ into the creek from time to time.
Unread 06-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #68
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

On a side note my mileage went from 16.5 to 17 with the new intake. Nothing drastic (3% increase) but hey it helps.
Unread 06-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #69
05jeepx

so i know you guys will probably laugh, however i am new to jeeps, ive looked on my jeep and noticed where the vent on the top runs to a black tubing behind the motor, are you putting the airbox into this to pull air from the top or is it going into the firewall somewhere? i have looked but am confused into which area of the firewall you put the intake into?? .... any info would be greatly appreciated.
05jeepx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #70
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

As much as the cooler air will help, a straighter intake tube will go a longggg way to make it that much better.

Countless tests have proven that a straighter intake tube will yield the same if not more gain than cooler air. Now, combine the 2 and you may really feel te difference.

Google JLT intakes. They have done extensive research about this.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #71
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05jeepx View Post
so i know you guys will probably laugh, however i am new to jeeps, ive looked on my jeep and noticed where the vent on the top runs to a black tubing behind the motor, are you putting the airbox into this to pull air from the top or is it going into the firewall somewhere? i have looked but am confused into which area of the firewall you put the intake into?? .... any info would be greatly appreciated.
The instal requires cutting a hole in the firewall and running the intake tube into the cowl vent area.
Unread 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #72
05jeepx

Ahhhhhhhh. Ok I see now. Thanx. Seems like a good easy mod.
05jeepx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #73
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's one clean engine bay. Has this vehicle ever been off the pavement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh13lds21 View Post

JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #74
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
That's one clean engine bay. Has this vehicle ever been off the pavement?
not really just to the river in the summer other than that really dont have the time to do anything with it and im trying to sell it so i dont off road it at all. look at the engine bay after i detailed it

Unread 06-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #75
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
its working great havent had a single problem with it the tape is staying on just fine besides on the back part of the filter box, air going by it is starting to pull it up but im just going to get some glue and glue it back down. but other then that no complaints and i just drove from northern california to southern washington and got 21.26 going up and 20.62 coming home. and i have no problems with the dipstick and didnt do anything to it.

edit: and i dont know about anyone else that has done this but it made the motor sound alot better in my opinion it just sounds healthier and also makes a cool sound u can hear drivin down the road. when i first did this i didnt use the radio at all i just wanted listen to the intake everywhere i went.

Last edited by sh13lds21; 06-10-2011 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: more info
sh13lds21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cowl , intake , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.