Windstar cowl intake - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windstar cowl intake

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #46
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

a 97 ford windstar

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #47
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any concerns for rain entering the intake through the cowl?
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #48
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dirt- View Post
Any concerns for rain entering the intake through the cowl?
i was kinda concerned at first but the rubber piece that goes into the fire wall is up off the bottom about three inches and its not dirrectly under the vent. i havent had any problems so far and i live in northern california and we get quite a bit of rain and there hasnt been any problems. if it does suck up any water theres a drain hole in the intake box so im not to worried about it.
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #49
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds good! Thanks!
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #50
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh13lds21 View Post
i was kinda concerned at first but the rubber piece that goes into the fire wall is up off the bottom about three inches and its not dirrectly under the vent. i havent had any problems so far and i live in northern california and we get quite a bit of rain and there hasnt been any problems. if it does suck up any water theres a drain hole in the intake box so im not to worried about it.
If you go to start your engine one day and it turns over about 1/6th of a turn and then stops, quit and pull the plugs to pump the water out of the cylinders.

I've seen a few instances of the drain in the bottom of the cowl plugging up with leaves and dirt and then in a hard rain it fills up and runs the rain down into the intake.

I've had to pump them out 3 times now. Oh, and turn the motor over until it pumps dry because the intake holds more water than you think.
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #51
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you go to start your engine one day and it turns over about 1/6th of a turn and then stops, quit and pull the plugs to pump the water out of the cylinders.

I've seen a few instances of the drain in the bottom of the cowl plugging up with leaves and dirt and then in a hard rain it fills up and runs the rain down into the intake.

I've had to pump them out 3 times now. Oh, and turn the motor over until it pumps dry because the intake holds more water than you think.
thanks for the tip but i dont think ill have any problems just dont let the cowl drain get plugged and it will be fine. what kind of cowl intake do you have?
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #52
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh13lds21 View Post
thanks for the tip but i dont think ill have any problems just dont let the cowl drain get plugged and it will be fine. what kind of cowl intake do you have?
I adapted the stock air box in 00 to fit in mine.

It will never get high enough to flow into the intake.

And then I've done several using the Buick air box.

Unread 08-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #53
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thats pretty cool but using the stock box looks like it would be a pita but still does the same job. i was thinking about doing the buick box type but the only reason i would use that is if i was going to do a hummer style intake but i wasnt really up to putting a hole in the cowl cover.
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #54
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I looks like you drilled (or cut) a hole in the firewall.
I do have a question. What are your plans for smog testing (if your state has one)?
Unread 11-18-2010, 04:24 AM   #55
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Aside from CA, most states do not do any kind of visual verification of parts.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #56
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
I looks like you drilled (or cut) a hole in the firewall.
I do have a question. What are your plans for smog testing (if your state has one)?
Why would this change anything for smog testing? All you are changing is where the air intake pulls from. Not seeing why air pulling from cowl would be different for smog than air pulling from behind the headlight. Isn't smog testing really worried more about exhaust side of the engine than intake side?
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:48 AM   #57
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Because the intake tract is an emissions regulated component. K&N and the other big names have gone through the process for CARB certification and being 50 state legal. That's part of the reason they cost so much. The smaller producers's intakes are not CARB legal. However aside from CA other states do not do any sort of visual verifivation under the hood. CA they inspect everything. If emissions regulated parts are not factory or do not have a CARB/EO number tag, they probably will get flagged.
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #58
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
Because the intake tract is an emissions regulated component. K&N and the other big names have gone through the process for CARB certification and being 50 state legal. That's part of the reason they cost so much. The smaller producers's intakes are not CARB legal. However aside from CA other states do not do any sort of visual verifivation under the hood. CA they inspect everything. If emissions regulated parts are not factory or do not have a CARB/EO number tag, they probably will get flagged.
Is the certification specific to the vehicle? The Buick or Windstar boxes/filters were obviously fine in the vehicles they were in so would they be acceptable in this use? Or is it drawing through the cowl that is going to be flagged? Would have to go back and check but seems like some of the people who have done this are CA based.
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #59
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So does this mean that modifying the intake to become non-CARB compliant is a federal violation, like removing a cat (possibly under the same code)?

If so, a link or citation would be great!

EDIT: Just figured out that the "CA" in CARB stands for Cali. Guess this doesn't apply to the other 49.
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #60
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it does apply because many have adopted CA rules but they have not adopted the practices and procedures. NJ many years ago adopted CA emissions standards but there is no visual inspection other than a quick look under the car for something that "looks' like a cat. The bottom line, if you inspection does not check it, it does not matter.

(I have my own opinion about the "federal violation" topic on this forum and how it is the oly forum where discussion is banned)

From the K&N site

Are K&N performance air intake systems emissions legal in the US?

All intake systems are legal in most states because most states do not have regulations governing them. So this question really has to do with California and other states that have emission control standards. In order for an intake system to be legal in these states, it must receive an Exemption in the form of an EO number from the California Air Resources Board (CARB). To further complicate matters CARB exemption is issued only for specific part numbers used on specific vehicles. That means a part number can be CARB exempt for some vehicle applications and not others. There is no such thing as CARB Pending. A particular part number on a particular vehicle is either exempt or not. The best way for you to determine the status of the part number you are interested in for your vehicle is to look up the intake systems available for your vehicle in our vehicle/part search engine and check for CARB exemption. If you are unsure whether CARB exemption is required for a part to be legal in your state, check with your local or state motor vehicle or emissions agency.

Tags
cowl , intake , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.