Windstar cowl intake - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 254 Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
sh13lds21
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fortuna
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
He means are there any plans to put something on the Jeep where the air box was (the shelf under the hood), not where did you put the air box after you took it out.
wow that was kinda embarrassing i was thinking about just putting the stock box back in and using it for a tool box but thay was just an idea


2004 jeep Rubicon, NV3550, NV241 Rock-Trac, windstar cowl intake
sh13lds21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 254 Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbluetj View Post
Is that some sort of heat shield under your intake manifold?
When I bought my 2000 in 2004 I took it to the dealership to see if there were any free TSB upgrades, that's when they added it to my Sport at no cost...
Knuckelhead is offline  
post #18 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
sh13lds21
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fortuna
Posts: 158
not to derail the thread but i dont want to start a new thread, so my question is should i have a 16 gallon tank or a 19 gallon tank cause i go pretty far with the fuel light on and i refill and i put in 16 or a little more, is there a way to check what tank i have?

2004 jeep Rubicon, NV3550, NV241 Rock-Trac, windstar cowl intake
sh13lds21 is offline  
post #19 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 AM
extsp2
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easton
Posts: 538
if you look in the thread titled "stock specifications" in this forum it says all tj's from 99 up are 19 gallon, i don't think a rubi has a different tank but i could be wrong. it says all lj's also have a 19 gallon tank.
extsp2 is offline  
post #20 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
sh13lds21
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fortuna
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by extsp2 View Post
if you look in the thread titled "stock specifications" in this forum it says all tj's from 99 up are 19 gallon, i don't think a rubi has a different tank but i could be wrong. it says all lj's also have a 19 gallon tank.
thanks i forgot to look there. so i guess i need to do the fuel tank mod

2004 jeep Rubicon, NV3550, NV241 Rock-Trac, windstar cowl intake
sh13lds21 is offline  
post #21 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh13lds21 View Post
thanks i forgot to look there. so i guess i need to do the fuel tank mod
There's nothing to mod on your tank?...
Knuckelhead is offline  
post #22 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 AM
thisgardengrove
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 290
What year is that intake box from and looks like you used the stock air box cone attatchment? i'd like to do this but i dont now how well my K&N tube will work
thisgardengrove is offline  
post #23 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
sh13lds21
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fortuna
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgardengrove View Post
What year is that intake box from and looks like you used the stock air box cone attatchment? i'd like to do this but i dont now how well my K&N tube will work
its from a 97 but its on different years to, and the only stock part is the intake tube, and the 90* tube i got off line. yeah idk how the kn intake tube would work cause its bent differently, you didnt keep your stock one?

2004 jeep Rubicon, NV3550, NV241 Rock-Trac, windstar cowl intake
sh13lds21 is offline  
post #24 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
sh13lds21
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: fortuna
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
There's nothing to mod on your tank?...
http://www.gottrail.com/TJ/TJfueltankconversion.html
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...s-same-333562/
this is what im talkin about
HandyAndy516 likes this.

2004 jeep Rubicon, NV3550, NV241 Rock-Trac, windstar cowl intake
sh13lds21 is offline  
post #25 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh13lds21 View Post
You don't have the 15 gallon gas tank. No mod needed...
Knuckelhead is offline  
post #26 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh13lds21 View Post
IMO there is more power and it sounds alot better and i gained about 1-1.5 mpg. i went from about 15-16 to 17 mpg on 4 tanks so its a pretty good gain imo
I don't want to sound offensive, but I'm questioning this...

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #27 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM
White99tj
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KC
Posts: 69
The windstar intake filter is also used in the Explorers with a 302, lack of air flow is not a problem.

I did this mod a few years back, at first the jeep pulled really hard and the gas mpg did improve. After a few hundred miles I was back where I was before the mod. The computer always adjust.

I only did the mod due to having hiline fenders.

Link to my junk
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/an...d-arms-593280/
White99tj is offline  
post #28 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
I'm not questioning whether or not it restricts airflow, but whether it can improve the airflow so drastically over the stock system...which, according to a LOT of threads on this forum, it can't. Every bit of solid information that I can find says that the stock intake system is more than adequate for the 4.0's air requirements. Thus, any extra air the cowl intake can bring in...isn't needed or used. Furthermore, since the computer doesn't know what intake is feeding the throttle body, it can't adjust to it. Speed-density computers calculate air intake from readings of air pressure, air temperature and the position of the blade within the throttle body...so changes to the intake will have no real effect.

Now, if we're moving the intake to make room for something else under the hood...well, that's cool. Go for it, says me. I just don't think that it gives noticeable power...certainly nothing detectable without a dyno test.

P.S. If all it took was a cowl intake to increase mileage by 1 to 1.5 MPG, do you not think that Jeep would build them that way and advertise the hell out of it?

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #29 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 20,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
P.S. If all it took was a cowl intake to increase mileage by 1 to 1.5 MPG, do you not think that Jeep would build them that way and advertise the hell out of it?
Jeep should have made them that way from the factory. Even if airflow doesn't need to be better the air being drawn in is cooler coming from there. Also higher location for water crossings.

My experience was similar to others. Probably 1.5 MPG improvement right after done, but gave some of that back over time although maybe not all of it.

#LetGaryDebate
biffgnar is offline  
post #30 of 254 Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Reno
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'm not questioning whether or not it restricts airflow, but whether it can improve the airflow so drastically over the stock system...which, according to a LOT of threads on this forum, it can't. Every bit of solid information that I can find says that the stock intake system is more than adequate for the 4.0's air requirements. Thus, any extra air the cowl intake can bring in...isn't needed or used. Furthermore, since the computer doesn't know what intake is feeding the throttle body, it can't adjust to it. Speed-density computers calculate air intake from readings of air pressure, air temperature and the position of the blade within the throttle body...so changes to the intake will have no real effect.

Now, if we're moving the intake to make room for something else under the hood...well, that's cool. Go for it, says me. I just don't think that it gives noticeable power...certainly nothing detectable without a dyno test.

P.S. If all it took was a cowl intake to increase mileage by 1 to 1.5 MPG, do you not think that Jeep would build them that way and advertise the hell out of it?
I think from all the reading I have done, the thought is the air coming in after this mod is outside air and not as hot as the air temp under the hood. This is the first I have read of the computer adjusting to not take advantage of the thicker air. Just my understanding, I have not done the mod.
J03_TJ is offline  
Reply

Tags
cowl , intake , TJ

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Cowl Intake with Windstar air box Hapytruck01 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 22 04-04-2012 06:51 PM
Cowl Air intake schu TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 04-22-2009 08:55 PM
Help with Cowl Intake BDAZCJ5 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 22 08-14-2005 08:21 AM
Cowl Intake bigblackblur TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 8 02-13-2005 09:37 PM
cowl intake Bucket110 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 1 10-17-2003 09:00 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome