Windstar cowl intake - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windstar cowl intake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
He means are there any plans to put something on the Jeep where the air box was (the shelf under the hood), not where did you put the air box after you took it out.
wow that was kinda embarrassing i was thinking about just putting the stock box back in and using it for a tool box but thay was just an idea

Unread 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbluetj View Post
Is that some sort of heat shield under your intake manifold?
When I bought my 2000 in 2004 I took it to the dealership to see if there were any free TSB upgrades, that's when they added it to my Sport at no cost...
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #18
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

not to derail the thread but i dont want to start a new thread, so my question is should i have a 16 gallon tank or a 19 gallon tank cause i go pretty far with the fuel light on and i refill and i put in 16 or a little more, is there a way to check what tank i have?
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #19
extsp2
2000 WJ 

if you look in the thread titled "stock specifications" in this forum it says all tj's from 99 up are 19 gallon, i don't think a rubi has a different tank but i could be wrong. it says all lj's also have a 19 gallon tank.
extsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #20
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by extsp2 View Post
if you look in the thread titled "stock specifications" in this forum it says all tj's from 99 up are 19 gallon, i don't think a rubi has a different tank but i could be wrong. it says all lj's also have a 19 gallon tank.
thanks i forgot to look there. so i guess i need to do the fuel tank mod
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #21
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh13lds21 View Post
thanks i forgot to look there. so i guess i need to do the fuel tank mod
There's nothing to mod on your tank?...
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
thisgardengrove
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What year is that intake box from and looks like you used the stock air box cone attatchment? i'd like to do this but i dont now how well my K&N tube will work
thisgardengrove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #23
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgardengrove View Post
What year is that intake box from and looks like you used the stock air box cone attatchment? i'd like to do this but i dont now how well my K&N tube will work
its from a 97 but its on different years to, and the only stock part is the intake tube, and the 90* tube i got off line. yeah idk how the kn intake tube would work cause its bent differently, you didnt keep your stock one?
Unread 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
sh13lds21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
There's nothing to mod on your tank?...
http://www.gottrail.com/TJ/TJfueltankconversion.html
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...s-same-333562/
this is what im talkin about
Unread 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You don't have the 15 gallon gas tank. No mod needed...
Unread 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #26
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
IMO there is more power and it sounds alot better and i gained about 1-1.5 mpg. i went from about 15-16 to 17 mpg on 4 tanks so its a pretty good gain imo
I don't want to sound offensive, but I'm questioning this...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #27
White99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The windstar intake filter is also used in the Explorers with a 302, lack of air flow is not a problem.

I did this mod a few years back, at first the jeep pulled really hard and the gas mpg did improve. After a few hundred miles I was back where I was before the mod. The computer always adjust.

I only did the mod due to having hiline fenders.

Link to my junk
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/an...d-arms-593280/
White99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #28
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not questioning whether or not it restricts airflow, but whether it can improve the airflow so drastically over the stock system...which, according to a LOT of threads on this forum, it can't. Every bit of solid information that I can find says that the stock intake system is more than adequate for the 4.0's air requirements. Thus, any extra air the cowl intake can bring in...isn't needed or used. Furthermore, since the computer doesn't know what intake is feeding the throttle body, it can't adjust to it. Speed-density computers calculate air intake from readings of air pressure, air temperature and the position of the blade within the throttle body...so changes to the intake will have no real effect.

Now, if we're moving the intake to make room for something else under the hood...well, that's cool. Go for it, says me. I just don't think that it gives noticeable power...certainly nothing detectable without a dyno test.

P.S. If all it took was a cowl intake to increase mileage by 1 to 1.5 MPG, do you not think that Jeep would build them that way and advertise the hell out of it?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #29
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
P.S. If all it took was a cowl intake to increase mileage by 1 to 1.5 MPG, do you not think that Jeep would build them that way and advertise the hell out of it?
Jeep should have made them that way from the factory. Even if airflow doesn't need to be better the air being drawn in is cooler coming from there. Also higher location for water crossings.

My experience was similar to others. Probably 1.5 MPG improvement right after done, but gave some of that back over time although maybe not all of it.
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #30
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'm not questioning whether or not it restricts airflow, but whether it can improve the airflow so drastically over the stock system...which, according to a LOT of threads on this forum, it can't. Every bit of solid information that I can find says that the stock intake system is more than adequate for the 4.0's air requirements. Thus, any extra air the cowl intake can bring in...isn't needed or used. Furthermore, since the computer doesn't know what intake is feeding the throttle body, it can't adjust to it. Speed-density computers calculate air intake from readings of air pressure, air temperature and the position of the blade within the throttle body...so changes to the intake will have no real effect.

Now, if we're moving the intake to make room for something else under the hood...well, that's cool. Go for it, says me. I just don't think that it gives noticeable power...certainly nothing detectable without a dyno test.

I think from all the reading I have done, the thought is the air coming in after this mod is outside air and not as hot as the air temp under the hood. This is the first I have read of the computer adjusting to not take advantage of the thicker air. Just my understanding, I have not done the mod.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cowl , intake , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.