Windstar cowl intake - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windstar cowl intake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #181
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and forgot to post pics of the finished product.

Unread 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #182
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post
...except where it sits in the cowl.
Maybe this is where the issue is. Mine is sealed where the air box enters the cowl. Yours, being unsealed, might be drawing enough air from the engine compartment to cause a whistle. Just a thought...
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #183
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Maybe this is where the issue is. Mine is sealed where the air box enters the cowl. Yours, being unsealed, might be drawing enough air from the engine compartment to cause a whistle. Just a thought...
hmm paper towels stuffed around it would prove or disprove this theory. Sweet, I have something to work on tomorrow. How did you seal yours?
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #184
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh and forgot to post pics of the finished product.
I do think that gap is the cause of your whistle. It could also be the the raw end of the box itself.

Mine is sealed using the Windstar horn from the fender. See my posts further up in this thread. I also went to the auto parts store to find their fattest piece of radiator hose to extend the horn a little into the engine bay to line things up and make everything good and tight. Something from a big truck. I'll take pictures of the radiator hose soon...
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #185
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I do think that gap is the cause of your whistle. It could also be the the raw end of the box itself.

Mine is sealed using the Windstar horn from the fender. See my posts further up in this thread. I also went to the auto parts store to find their fattest piece of radiator hose to extend the horn and make everything good and tight. Something from a big truck. I'll take pictures of the radiator hose soon...
I think you are right. Maybe the swirl effect from the flared opening is causing it. That radiator hose idea might do the trick and help avoid water ingestion.
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #186
Lucille92
2003 TJ Wrangler 

For anyone still debating on what to use to combine the cut piece, I used plastic weld from advance auto. Its been at least 3 years and i've never had an issue with it.
Lucille92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #187
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I think you are right. Maybe the swirl effect from the flared opening is causing it. That radiator hose idea might do the trick and help avoid water ingestion.
Here is the horn and radiator hose entering the cowl behind the air box...

... and the horn/hose/air box assembly.

I added the hose because the mess of Jeep wires kept the air box from fully seating and sealing against the horn. All three pieces are effectively one unit.

The piece of radiator hose is flared and acts as a sort of reducer coupler/street fitting. I don't know what it belonged to. I just walked into the store with the intake parts and found what worked. The hose was cut and assembled in the parking lot.

FWIW, notice that I carved off all the Ford bracketry from the air box. I felt this allowed the air box to sit better in the new engine compartment without the unnecessary bits getting in the way.

This is the horn sticking through into the cowl.

Because there are very few clear images of the holes we drilled into the cowl, here is mine.
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #188
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today I discovered a very unfortunate unintended consequence of cowl induction and a true cold air intake.

I have had my Jeep since late-spring of this year. Several times over the summer before a long drive I have wrapped my lunch up in aluminum foil and wedged it between the intake and exhaust manifold. Several hours later, I would have a hot meal ready. This morning I did the same as I have done before. A few hours later I stop for a snack only to discover my bratwursts are still cold! I also noticed that the intake manifold was quite cool to the touch. Nearly as cool as the body of the Jeep. Only a small corner of my aluminum foil packet that made good contact with the exhaust was warm. I have every reason to believe a K&N cold air intake would have provided me a hot lunch today.

I consider this further evidence that the Windstar intake does, in fact, provide cold air to the engine. Please plan your day accordingly.
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #189
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is the horn and radiator hose entering the cowl behind the air box...

... and the horn/hose/air box assembly.

I added the hose because the mess of Jeep wires kept the air box from fully seating and sealing against the horn. All three pieces are effectively one unit.

The piece of radiator hose is flared and acts as a sort of reducer coupler/street fitting. I don't know what it belonged to. I just walked into the store with the intake parts and found what worked. The hose was cut and assembled in the parking lot.

FWIW, notice that I carved off all the Ford bracketry from the air box. I felt this allowed the air box to sit better in the new engine compartment without the unnecessary bits getting in the way.

This is the horn sticking through into the cowl.

Because there are very few clear images of the holes we drilled in the cowl, here is mine.
I finally got around to getting one of these horn pieces off an F150 and it did help. There is still a little whistle when I accelerate but so far thats it. I will know for sure when I make the trip to Corpus next week. Really gets loud on the highway.
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #190
Jaminjer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I finally completed this mod a few weeks ago, 98 windstar box with extra rubber boot that goes through the cab. Upon startup i hear it louder, sometimes when accelerating a little i get the slight whine. My problem is when i floor it I get lots of noise but seems it wont really go anywhere. The tack goes up but jeep wont seem to accelerate faster. I usually just back down on the gas but today i kept it on to see what would happen. I got a code p121 which says TPS which i cleaned a few months ago. Has anyone else had this problem?
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #191
mrcleanjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Try replacing the tps. Try it without air filter? Air Restriction ?
mrcleanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #192
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I finally got around to getting one of these horn pieces off an F150 and it did help. There is still a little whistle when I accelerate but so far thats it. I will know for sure when I make the trip to Corpus next week. Really gets loud on the highway.
How's your whistle?
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #193
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaminjer View Post
... Upon startup i hear it louder, sometimes when accelerating a little i get the slight whine...
Everything up to this point I will argue is normal for the Windstar intake. At least this matches how mine behaves. The rest, i can't help with.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #194
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How's your whistle?
Still got it. Might not be as loud but it is still there. I hate it lol. There is a little pin hole on the bottom that I believe is for water drainage. That might be causing it. Not sure. I did notice that the cone I have is not the same one however. Got mine out of an F150.
It did allow me to run my wiring over the air box putting it back in the stock location so that is a plus.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #195
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The drain hole on the back of the canister? Mine is still open for drainage. I am inclined to blame the F150 cone. Very odd.

Tags
cowl , intake , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.