Windstar cowl intake - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windstar cowl intake

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #151
nickhamm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
that elbow under the cowl would put it directly under the vent, causing water to drip right into the air intake

ps, mine is off an 01 as well, but saved a ton of space by cutting it down
Looking at your setup it looks like you have the original intake tube still attached and under the hood going through the firewall? I didn't get the original end piece, so the end of the air box is actually what I have going through the firewall, hence the 2.5" hole vs the 3" others have referenced and the closer non-modified fit.

nickhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #152
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhamm View Post

Looking at your setup it looks like you have the original intake tube still attached and under the hood going through the firewall? I didn't get the original end piece, so the end of the air box is actually what I have going through the firewall, hence the 2.5" hole vs the 3" others have referenced and the closer non-modified fit.
Yep, the oem windstar setup uses that to get behind the front fender. Makes the fit nice and clean going through the firewall
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #153
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got this guy for $21.59 today. Now to order the elbow. Ironhead, where did you get your reducing elbow and why silicone?
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #154
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post
Got this guy for $21.59 today. Now to order the elbow. Ironhead, where did you get your reducing elbow and why silicone?
I used a PVC elbow and rubber reducing rings on each end of it. All available at your local hardward store.
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #155
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I used a PVC elbow and rubber reducing rings on each end of it. All available at your local hardward store.
Got pictures of it?
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #156
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

mine was done the same way as the one in the first post of this thread. guess i got lucky that my junk yard only charged $10 for the airbox and nose cone. if i did it again i'd change a few things

1. get a reduction elbow that ends at 2.75" instead of 3"
2. leave a little more room in the cut area of the air box
3. cut the original tube shorter and incorporate the factory accordion style hose, so it has some give when the engine rotates
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #157
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
mine was done the same way as the one in the first post of this thread. guess i got lucky that my junk yard only charged $10 for the airbox and nose cone. if i did it again i'd change a few things

1. get a reduction elbow that ends at 2.5" instead of 2 5/8" (2.5" is a guess, if you go that method i'd measure it to be 100%)
2. leave a little more room in the cut area of the air box
3. cut the original tube shorter and incorporate the factory accordion style hose, so it has some give when the engine rotates
Why would you do 2?

Live Free,
Brad
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #158
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why would you do 2?

Live Free,
Brad
Nothing much, maybe an inch. Its not quite 90° and that bothers me.

I am planning on grabbing another airbox when I'm at the yard.
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #159
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have thought about running my breather lines there, but may just keep them seperate
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #160
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I went with a 4" - 2.75" we shall see how that does. Also, has anyone just used black RTV to seal their box after cutting and not used rivets? If so, how is it holding up?
Started it BTW, will see if I need to trim more once I cut the hole and get the elbow from UPS.
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #161
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also, has anyone just used black RTV to seal their box after cutting and not used rivets?
IIRC I used blue not black RTV but its been 3+ years and its just fine.
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #162
reddirtTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Same here. I used sensor safe rtv only and it's been about 3-4 years also, with many rough off road trips.

"TJ's and CJ's are Jeeps. BJ's are something else entirely. I can only help you with the first two." Sundowner
reddirtTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #163
blacksky7

quick question I have a 98 wrangler 4cycle will this mod work on that to? and second that's in the firewall?? does it make it louder inside the jeep or decrease air flow through it? I've never seen this done before and very intrigued. thanks!
blacksky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #164
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksky7 View Post
quick question I have a 98 wrangler 4cycle will this mod work on that to? and second that's in the firewall?? does it make it louder inside the jeep or decrease air flow through it? I've never seen this done before and very intrigued. thanks!
The firewall at that point doesn't come to the inside of the jeep. It only goes into the cowl and draws air down through the vent right in front of the windshield. It potentially improves your air flow and is definitely drawing more from outside the underhood area so hopefully cooler air. Some people say they think it makes it a little louder, personally I don't really think so.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #165
1956bugtj2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It is louder. I just did this mod & it sounds like the radio is on a staticie radio station. That is only at start up or stopped in traffic. Past that I do not notice it.
1956bugtj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cowl , intake , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.