Windshield Wipers Stopped Working! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield Wipers Stopped Working!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Bennett7

Windshield Wipers Stopped Working!

I have an 05 Wrangler TJ Unlimited and I am having a bit of a problem with it. It started out with the fact that my key would not turn over the vehicle. It would turn it over very intermittently. I first tried to solve this issue by using a push button method like I had read about on several of these forums. I tried to tie into a Pink Wire with an orange stripe in it (located in the steering column, I was under the impression this was the wire that lead to the starter relay in order to start the vehicle), and I connected that with a 12v Constant power wire I also found in the steering column. Upon connecting these two to the push button switch I purchased, it did not start the vehicle. To make a long story short, my starting issue ended up being a clutch safety switch which I was able to override by putting a fuse in the "Clutch Override" spot in the fuse panel under the hood.

Now my jeep starts up fine without having to push in the clutch (not exactly what i wanted but it will work until I can get a new clutch safety switch. Unfortunately since I have done this my windshield wipers don't work anymore. No speed variation works and neither does the windshield washer fluid nozzle. I have checked the fuse under the dash to see if I may have blown it when playing with my steering column but the fuse it not blown and all the connections to the lever on the steering column appear to have a good connection.

I am wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot this issue? This is my first jeep and I am trying to figure this out on my own but I am hard pressed to find the answer.

Any help is appreciated and I thank you for your time.

Bennett7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

There are 2 wire colors that may look similar. One is pink/orange & the other is pink/yellow. Are you sure you got the right one? There are 3 pink/yellow wires & one goes to the fuse block & powers the wiper fuse (17) & also the cig lighter (18). If you don’t have power to the lighter (not the power outlet, which is a different fuse & power source) then you have the wrong wire. If so, reconnect that wire at the switch & you should be good.

Here is the pin locations from the FSM.
05-ignition-switch-pins.jpg

Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Bennett7

I thank you for your response but it appears that the wire isn't the issue. I have since reconnected the wire and still have no windshield wipers. I am wondering if it is some strange coincidence where maybe my wiper switch is gone too? I have still yet to figure out this issue.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK but do you have power to the cig lighter?
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Bennett7

Yes I do. Both the cig lighter and the 12v beside it have power
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK if the cig lighter has power then the ignition switch & wiring there are not the problem. The ignition switch powers both fuses for the wipers & lighter together so there is power there. Make sure the fuse for the wipers is good then go to the wiper (m-f) switch & see if it is getting power there. That wire at the switch is orange/pink coming from fuse 17.
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Bennett7

Fuse 17 is good but I will have to meter the switch and get back to you one whether it has power or not. Thank you and I will get back to you soon.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.