windshield removal/installation help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > windshield removal/installation help

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
jeepinuvalde
2006 LJ Wrangler 

windshield removal/installation help

hey everyone i was wondering if anyone has any tips on removing the windshield off of an 06 tj. I hit a buzzard this morning doing 60 and my windshield spiderwebbed. I bought a used glass and I want to put it in, but I have a few questions before I start to do it. Am I going to need a new seal? Where can I order one cheap... Does anyone have any good links to a writeup. Today sucked, that money could have went to something better than a piece of glass.

these might sound like dumb questions, but i've tried searching and i haven't gotten any usable information.

Jeep note limits mods!
jeepinuvalde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you financed your vehicle, I'm going to assume that you have full coverage insurance, which should include windshield replacement depending on your amount of coverage. You should talk to your insurance company and see how much the deductible is to have your windshield replaced.

Replacing windshields is shady business, especially if you've never done it before.
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

Check out my build thread!
Moses2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

I had never paid that much attention to the front windshield of my Jeep before, I just went out and looked.

I have replaced a couple of other similar types before. Remove all of you old windshield and save the rubber gasket around the edge. Clean the gasket and windsield frame. Mount the gasket around the new piece a glass.

You will need a helper at this point. Wrap a heavy string on the inside of the gasket on the inside lip. Have both ends of the string meet at the bottom center of the windshield. Grease the lip of the gasket all the way around and grease the frame as well.

Sit the windshield and gasket on the lower edge on the frame from the outside, fitting the bottom of the gasket in place. While you helper holds it in place from the outside, you go to the inside and draw the string ends from the bottom center, out and up around the inside frame. The string will pull the rubber gasket over the lip of the frame. You helper can apply light presure from the outside.

If it all works correctly, takes less than 5 mintues. Then clean the excess grease.
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
jeepinuvalde
2006 LJ Wrangler 

windshield

thanks for the replies, i would like for my insurance to pay for it, but i don't want my rates to go up. i think i would be able to put it in with the string trick, i've heard of it before. the problem i'm having is devising a way to save my old seal when i remove the glass. i'm pretty sure i can get my hands on some of that auto glass cut out wire, but i'm afraid that i'm going to tear my seal up (the seal from the used glass i bought was torn up this way). the other thing that i've been told was to heat up the seal with a heatgun or blowdryer and push it out, i tried it earlier but i had no luck. there's bound to be someone on this forum who has replaced their glass. this really is a dire problem for me right now, please someone help me.
Jeep note limits mods!
jeepinuvalde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I may can help here also. I happen to be a Firefighter. Cutting windshields out, is also a piece of cake, but it can be a little messy. If you have a good place to work (driveway concrete), cover your inside with a blue tarp. Also cover you hood with a blue tarp. Start with a small hole, punch through your glass near one edge, about a inch or so off, a screwdriver can do this. Then using a "saws-all" or even a jig saw, you can cut around the perimeter of the glass. It does not realy cut but just rips or tears its way through the glass. You will be surprised how fast it wil go, 5-6 minutes and you are done. The main sheet of glass will stay together. Cut from the outside and lay the sheet on your hood when done.

The you can pull the remaining glass and gasket from the frame. Wear gloves and eyewear during the entire process.
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the wrangler windshield can not be replaced with a string and soapy water!a wrangler windshield is glued in with urethane adhiseve.the outer gasket is a onetime usage it is replaced each time because it is glued on.this windshield install is a pain to remove and install.pay someone who knows what they are doing.i have had two put in mine and mine now has a small chip on passenger side.your insurance will be about 15 dollars a month higher with zero deductible on comp.buy it!jeep windshields are rock magnets.insurance will not go up for a comphrensive claim
reddevils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tell your insurance company about it. All three of the insurance companies I've had since being 16 couldn't raise my premium every time I hit a deer (I lived in Old Forge, NY, it's common) They can't prove you tried to hit the bird so they can't say it was your fault. If you're still not sure about it just call them up and ask them hypothetically.
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i said 15 dollars a month,i meant 15 dollars every 6mos.my bad
reddevils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
billbanshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevils View Post
the wrangler windshield can not be replaced with a string and soapy water!a wrangler windshield is glued in with urethane adhiseve.the outer gasket is a onetime usage it is replaced each time because it is glued on.this windshield install is a pain to remove and install.pay someone who knows what they are doing.i have had two put in mine and mine now has a small chip on passenger side.your insurance will be about 15 dollars a month higher with zero deductible on comp.buy it!jeep windshields are rock magnets.insurance will not go up for a comphrensive claim
truth. as far as installing windshields goes it really doesnt really get any easier than a tj but if youve never seen it done before and you dont have the right tools it isnt worth the $ savings also hammers sawzalls and chisels are not the right tools i know this because ive worked as an auto glass tech for the past 12 years if you insist on doing this yourself feel free to pm me and id be glad to give you the best guidance i can
warn 9000i
billbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.