Windshield Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield Question

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
wyrmsson
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Windshield Question

I have just bought my first jeep it is a 97 TJ wrangler and was wondering as to if the windshield can be laid down. If it can be how is this done?
It has a factory soft top with half doors not sure what else needs to known
any info would be of great help

wyrmsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A quick google search brought this up on a Yahoo! website... I didn't feel like explaining everything myself. It's referring to an '05 Rubicon, but it should be pretty similar:

"It's a little involved, but here goes.

You'll need a Torx T-40 socket, a socket wrench, and a 2" extension. A small flat screwdriver is also handy for the wiper arms. Make sure you've put your convertible top down and removed the door surrounds.

Step 1. Pull the wiper arms away from the windshield. Look at the base of the wiper arms for a small metal tab, Pull/slide the metal tab downward away from the wiper arm (use the small screwdriver to pry it). Then the wiper arms will lift right off the Jeep. Store until ready to fold the windshield back up.

Step 2. Inside the Jeep, notice a section of the sports bar above each door. They run from the top corners of the windshield to the main roll bar, along the top of the doors. At either end are two Torx bolts. Remove the two rear-most Torx bolts on each side; leave the bolts in the windshield frame for now.

Step 3. Outside the Jeep (pick a side, driver's or passenger's) on the windshield frame, just ahead of the outside mirror, you'll find a Torx bolt with a round black head. There are a few others that are flush with the Jeep and painted to match the Jeep - leave these alone. Remove the black-head Torx bolt, repeat for the other side.

Step 4. Fold the windshield forward until it rests on the hood on the two rubber bumpers. Secure it by a strap through the loop at the top-center of your windshield and through the loop on the hood. Your Jeep should have come with a small bag of straps with buckles on one end.

Step 5. Remove the two sections of the sports bar bolted to the windshield frame. Store these until ready to put the windshield back up.

Follow these steps in reverse to put it back up.

Some folks remove the two sections of the sports bar completely before folding the windshield forward. I've found that I end up scratching the paint when I do this."

Next time, try and ask your questions in the appropriate forum. The "JeepForum.com Help, Comments & Suggestions" forum you posted this in is for website-specific problems (internet stuff, loading problems, etc). There are specific forums for each model Wrangler, if you look around the website for a minute you'll find them. A moderator of the forum will most likely move this thread for you.

Also, the search feature on this site is very helpful when it comes to figuring out a question. Instead of immediately starting a new thread, try searching on the topic you're about to ask, and 9 times out of 10 you can answer your own question by reading through previous threads.
Rubi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Try the TJ forum...Heres a link
link- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/
Unread 02-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I suggest something like this_
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...spagenameZWDVW
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
hikerpaddler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's fun, it's sexy, but it's just too much wind for on the road. If you are only going to be driving on backstreets or are in the country, go for it. I hope they never take this option away.
hikerpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure its illegal in all 50 states to drive with the windshield down on the road. It's for off-road use only. I did it too when I first bought a Jeep. Then realized there's really no point. Be careful because it probably hasn't been done before and will be hard and stiff on the hinges. Also, be careful because you might break a seal and cause water leaks when you put it back up. It actually is quite involved what with the roll bars and all. But hey, give it a shot.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMaverick View Post
I'm pretty sure its illegal in all 50 states to drive with the windshield down on the road. It's for off-road use only. I did it too when I first bought a Jeep. Then realized there's really no point. Be careful because it probably hasn't been done before and will be hard and stiff on the hinges. Also, be careful because you might break a seal and cause water leaks when you put it back up. It actually is quite involved what with the roll bars and all. But hey, give it a shot.
It probably IS illegal in CA, along with everything else fun, but not everywhere. The OP will have to check the local laws for Kansas to be sure, but I know for a fact, per the RCW's (Revised Code for Washington), that it is perfectly legal to drive with your windshield folded down in WA state. You DO have to wear eye protection, but that is the only restriction. I do it every now and then, lots of fun, and gets attention. I use my Wiley-X sunglasses/goggles that are designed specifically as motorcycle glasses, with extra impact protection. At first I thought it was nuts to ride on the freeway like that, but then I realized that I do it almost every day in the summer on my Harley, so really, what's the difference?

As for actually lowering it, it all depends on who the previous owner was. Mine had apparently already been lowered in the past, so it wasn't stuck. It just lowered down nice and easy. I used a really thick rubber band with a plastic doohickey on the end that is meant for strapping garden hose in a loop to keep it secured. It's fun, but the novelty wears off a little after a while. I put it down last summer and didn't put it back up for about 3 weeks. This is on my daily driver, with about 10 miles of freeway commute to and from work each way. I say go for it, if you don't like it, put it back up. But I definitely recommend good eye protection, and be sure to check to see if it's legal in Kansas.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
CCrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoLoco View Post
It probably IS illegal in CA, along with everything else fun, but not everywhere. The OP will have to check the local laws for Kansas to be sure, but I know for a fact, per the RCW's (Revised Code for Washington), that it is perfectly legal to drive with your windshield folded down in WA state. You DO have to wear eye protection, but that is the only restriction.

Same in VA. As he said, it varies from state to state.

-R
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. You might be able to lower it, but you would def need eye protection, follows the same set of rules as motorcycle operation. You must have a windshield, or eye protection, which makes sense.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have and '05 tj that I thought would be great to have the windshield down for. Does anyone know if it is legal for the streets in NY. Also, was there a place for the straps to be normally located, I am the second owner, the person I got it from gave me everything, including the booklet, complete parts list, and the instuction video. I would think if he gave me all of that he would also give me the straps if he had them.
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
matt79
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I drive here in Houston all the time with my windshield down when the weathers nice. I don't get on the freeways like that, but 35mph streets aren't a problem. I took the bars that go to the windshield off and replaced the hinge bolts with knobs so it takes me about 20 seconds to fold mine down.
matt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt79 View Post
I drive here in Houston all the time with my windshield down when the weathers nice. I don't get on the freeways like that, but 35mph streets aren't a problem. I took the bars that go to the windshield off and replaced the hinge bolts with knobs so it takes me about 20 seconds to fold mine down.
I had some cheap knobs from Ebay but they interfered with removing the doors. I had to remove the knobs/bolts to remove the doors. It didn't take long to lose those knobs when I forgot to put them back in and went for a drive

Have you had any problems with yours?

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i drive all over with mine down unless im going on the highway. i have eye protection and mirror movers. kind of fit right in with all the hot rods around here with no windshields..
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
smithtime09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

does anyone know the recomended top speed for driving with the windshield down?
i want to be able to drive to school with it down but I hit 45-50 driving there
i know the manual says 10 mph max but thats bs
Unread 04-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtime09 View Post
does anyone know the recomended top speed for driving with the windshield down?
i want to be able to drive to school with it down but I hit 45-50 driving there
i know the manual says 10 mph max but thats bs
i did 65 on the highway, it sucked, couldnt hear anything and you really have to watch your surroundings.
windsheild-down-004.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.