Windshield question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield question

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Windshield question

Can the TJ have the windshield up but have the rollbar sections removed to allow the window to go up and down? Is the window stable enough with the support bars removed for on road driving?

keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
jcd
2008 JK Wrangler 

It would be stable enough for running on the street, though nailing the brakes would cause a pretty nasty flop forward with nothing to retain it and there would be no protection in the event of a roll.
Unread 08-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert
Can the TJ have the windshield up but have the rollbar sections removed to allow the window to go up and down? Is the window stable enough with the support bars removed for on road driving?
Yes! Think about all the aftermarket cages that do away with those bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd
It would be stable enough for running on the street, though nailing the brakes would cause a pretty nasty flop forward with nothing to retain it and there would be no protection in the event of a roll.
What do you mean nothing to retain it? Aren't there covers on the outside and something on the inside to retain it?
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Rusty the Scoob

This is a very, very bad idea. No way would I ride in your jeep with any part of the stock safety systems disabled.

FWIW my ORFab cage ties into the windshield in the stock locations.
2001 TJ Sport 2" coil lift, 31" TrXus, swapped in 3.73s, ORFab cage, Aussie front locker, A to Z Fab rocker skids, JeepMedic Oil Pan Skid, JeepMedic LCA skids, Alloy USA D30 Seals, Warn Diff Skids, Cobra 75wx CB, Jeeperman prototype front bumper, 9.5ti, custom rear bumper, Rokmen frame tie-in kit.
Rusty the Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
jcd
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert
What do you mean nothing to retain it? Aren't there covers on the outside and something on the inside to retain it?
The bars between the main cage hoop and the windshield are what keeps it from folding. If you undo the two bolts on each of these bars at the windshield frame, the windshield is then free to move forward assuming you have pulled your wipers and the small positioning screw on the sides. Regardless, I agree that it's not a good idea to run without this stuff, but it's just my .02
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
Hanzo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You could do it. The bolts that go in the side of the frame would be enough to hold it in place while you were driving, but it's risky in the case of an accident. I rolled my Jeep earlier this year only going about 20mph and WITH those bars installed it crushed the driver's side corner of the windshield frame down by about 3 inches. I'm pretty sure that if those bars hadn't been there the entire windshield frame would've given way right into my face.

So, before you do it, keep in mind that on surface streets, doing only 20 mph, those bars probably saved my life.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So was the CJ's setup much sturdier than the Wranglers?
Unread 08-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Guys, there is a good size bolt in both of the windshield hinges that prevents the windshield from laying down even if the side rollbars are removed. That bolt in both hinges must be removed before the windshield can be layed down flat. I can tell how many here have actually folded their windshields down and who are guess.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.