Windshield Cracked! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windshield Cracked!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Windshield Cracked!

Went to start the Jeep and warm it up, and saw a crack on drivers side from the bottom up about 6 inches long. You talk about mad! Well i called the dealer and they said that the windshield was not covered, but i showed them the crack and told them they need to look at their warranty book again. Then they changed their tune and now it is being warranteed. They always want to make it so hard.

Unread 01-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Windsor
Mobil 1, not Mobile 1

The same thing happened to me, but I didn't contact Jeep about it. I had a rock from a tractor trailer hit my windshield. The star it made eventually turned into a 6" crack. That was damage, so I had safelite.com come out and replace it. They came out to where I work and installed it in the parking lot. It was only $230, which was pretty fair I think. Oh well, I guess these RME's really are prone to broken windshields.
Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks and steering stabilizer
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Tuffy glove box, full console
WARN D30 skid & Nth Degree Mobility oil pan skid
WARN front and rear Rock Crawler bumpers, winch plate and grill guard
WARN 9.5ti winch w/ Optima Blue Top D34M - X-Line rope & fairlead
KC Daylighter Slimlights on windshield
IPF H4 w/ FatBoy bulbs
Windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had sorta the same thing happen. Started the jeep and started to defrost the windshield and it cracked 8 inches long right above the defroster vent. Dealer agrees its a defect but will not cover it because of the mileage on the Jeep even though its only 10 months old.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
TJchick

I have a nice little chunk removed from my windshield where a tractor trailer threw a rock last week and it's grown a 6" crack since.
Hopefully the dealer will replace yours. If not, you may check with your insurance before you completely replace it. Some will waive the deductible for cracked windshield repairs.
D30/35, 3.73s, 2"BB, 31" BFG ATKO
----------------------------
Husband's Trail Rig:
'97 XJ, 2 DR SE, Dark Green
4.0L, 5spd (AX15), 231
6", 33" MTRs, D30 (truetrac), C8.25 (No Slip), 4.10s
www.JeepOnly.com
TJchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
The Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJchick
If not, you may check with your insurance before you completely replace it. Some will waive the deductible for cracked windshield repairs.
My insurance will waive the deductible on a windshield repair. Luckily I was able to get it repaired before a crack developed.

Alan
The Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When the glass cracks and then the crack starts to run, it may seems to just 'appear'. However, if you trace the crack, you may find a small chip in the glass. A few times on my windshield, the crack has been covered by the weatherstripping that runs along the outside of the windshield. The temp. difference caused by running the defrost when it is cold has caused the glass to crack for apparently no reason.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
eastwood1972
1999 TJ Wrangler 

in some states, if you have comprehensive coverage, they will replace your windshield free of charge without affecting your insurance policy in ANY way. it was some sort of idea that started in florida to promote driving saftey awareness and it has since been implemented in numerous states, PA being one of them. my windshield was spider webbed froma pipe kicked up on the highway. scared the fuk out of me. anywho, i called my insurance company. they told me to call a windshield replcement comapny and set up an appt. they came to my place of work and replaced it free of change wil i sat in a air conditioned building and watched. i'd check with your insurance comandy before spending any money.
eastwood1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be careful when talking to your insurance company. They might replace your windshield, but they might count it as a claim as well, in which case they could raise your rates. I had the windshield in my YJ replaced for $110 from a local shop. They cut a piece of glass to fit and even laminated it instead of using a factory piece. The only difference is that you could see a little of the glue. It didn't have that black strip around the outside.
SlinkyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
BigJeepJay

We're lucky in Mass since the insurance will cover it every time which is nice since I crack quite a few windshields off-road.

[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/[/URL]

TJ Stretch Thread...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3[/URL]
BigJeepJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.