Windsheild Wipers Malfunction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Windsheild Wipers Malfunction

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 08-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
swanyswan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Windsheild Wipers Malfunction

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and have been having some issues with my Jeep. Last year my buddy and myself rebuilt the engine in my 4.0 1997 Wrangler. It was a great learning experience for me and since then I've tried to fix everything myself. I've had a few things come up lately that I just can't seem to figure out. One of them being my windshield wipers.

If my head lights are off - wipers will stay off, however when I use the turn signal wipers will run

If my head lights are on - wipers will run constantly

Once the wipers start running on their own no amount of fiddling with the wiper lever will make it stop. Sometimes tho they will stop.

The only way I've seemed to fix this is by taking out the fuse for the wipers. I live in Florida & it's during the rainy season so this is really getting on my nerves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a mechanic, but if you can point me in the right direction with a few steps I can usually figure it out.

swanyswan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are couple guys on here who are very good with electrical and will hopefully come along shortly, but IIRC the wiper motors share a ground with the headlights and/or the signals. I think its on the tub behind one of the headlights.
Unread 08-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
swanyswan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds great, thanks!

I found this thread while searching through the forums, got some investing to do.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he...55/index2.html
Unread 08-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You have a bad ground above the driver’s side headlight. When that happens, believe it or not, the headlights/signals back feed through the washer pump (also grounded there) & causes the wipers to run regardless of the wiper switch position. Remove the ground bolt & clean all contact points, wire terminals & body around the bolt hole until they are clean & shinny.

Edit. I see you found it in that link.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
swanyswan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thanks for the reply! Will try that out tomorrow after work. I did notice that my high beams also do not work.

Oddly enough I went to go fix this tonight and instead my Jeep decided not to start. Took the battery out, tested it, cleaned the terminals and banged on the starter. Got her going again. I'm pretty sure it's a starter issue. Might have to take it in tho, bolts are on there really good and I can't get them off. Tried some PBB Blaster but they aren't budging. Blahhh one thing at a time
Unread 08-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
swanyswan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Remove the ground bolt & clean all contact points, wire terminals & body around the bolt hole until they are clean & shinny.
Thanks for your help I did just what you said and wipers stopped being crazy! My high beams still don't work, so I'll have to look into that still.

Replaced the starter as well tonight.

Next I'll figure out that high beam issue and I've got a loud clacking sound going on. It never ends...
Unread 08-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Most likely the dimmer switch is bad. Same power goes to it for both high & low beams. Output for the high beam lights also goes to the indicator. Not getting the indicator pretty much eliminates the unlikely situation of both high beams being out (& the indicator bulb too).
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
Malfunction , windshield wiper , wipers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.